Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JBrute V2.2 Released

JBrute V2.2 Released

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

JBrute V2.2 Released

Postby mrosen » Tue 12.22.2009 2:42 pm

I just released the 2.2 version of JBrute, my J/E , E/J offline dictionary for Windows. It uses EDict and the Tanaka Corpus under the hood, giving is over 170000 entries and examples. It's very fast and brain-dead easy to use.

Here's a screen shot:

I also added a "vocabulary list" feature for electronic text. It works like this:

A 30 day evaluation is free. After that, I ask a $10 registration fee.

I hope some here will find this helpful.

http://www.jbrute.com
mrosen

Re: JBrute V2.2 Released

Postby jimbreen » Tue 12.22.2009 7:30 pm

mrosen wrote:I just released the 2.2 version of JBrute, my J/E , E/J offline dictionary for Windows. It uses EDict and the Tanaka Corpus under the hood, giving is over 170000 entries and examples. It's very fast and brain-dead easy to use.

Two comments on your use of EDICT:

(a) I can't see where you meet the attribution requirement of the licence, which states:
"acknowledge the usage and source of the files in the documentation, publicity material, WWW site of the package/server, etc.; ". I haven't found anything on the WWW site,, for example.

(b) why do you strip out the part-of-speech tags? They are there for a very good reason.

Anyway, please bring your package into compliance with the EDICT licence.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby mrosen » Tue 12.22.2009 11:14 pm

Sorry about that Jim. The "Welcome to JBrute" blurb on the web site was cut and pasted from the documentation -- which does include an Acknowledgements section.

I've rectified the error.

I think I do keep the part of speech information. It occurs immediately after the entry. For example:

国際政治 (こくさいせいじ) [n]

international (world) politics

If I'm misunderstanding you, please clarify and I'll take a look at the problem.

Thanks very much for the work you put into the EDict database. Many, many in the Japanese learners community are in your debt for this.
mrosen

Postby jimbreen » Wed 12.23.2009 6:34 am

mrosen wrote:Sorry about that Jim. The "Welcome to JBrute" blurb on the web site was cut and pasted from the documentation -- which does include an Acknowledgements section.

I've rectified the error.

Thanks.

I think I do keep the part of speech information. It occurs immediately after the entry. For example:

国際政治 (こくさいせいじ) [n]

international (world) politics

Fine. I couldn't see it in the screen-shot (and since I don't use Windoze, I can't try it out.)

Jim
jimbreen

Return to Computers & Technology