Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hey :)

Hey :)

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hey :)

Postby Dominikku » Thu 12.24.2009 1:58 pm

I'd just like to briefly introduce myself to the community!

My name is Dominic, I'm from the UK, 19 years old and I'm a college student. I have been learning Japanese for only a few month now, Still learning the basics - Taking it slow and steady, enjoying the journey, not rushing to the destination of being fluent!

I am looking for others who are also beginners with the language, so that we could help one another learn! Become more fluent and help each other undo the knots that get us stuck as we progress!

I'm talkative, friendly, easy to talk to about anything, very out going, relaxed and I make time for anybody.

I'm still learning to write and read Hiragana, Katakana, I am very much a beginner still, I am in it for the "Long Haul" and I am in for the journey and enjoying it as I go along. I'm not the kind of guy who focuses on the end goal, I focus on the task at hand :)

Current Learning Materials:
White Rabbit Press KANA FLASHCARDS.
Nintendo DS + My Japanese Coach
Japanese for Dummies + Phrase Book & Audio CD
English > Japanese oxford dictionary.

My hobbies consist of watching Anime, Reading Manga and novels, spiritual books on Buddhism and so forth. Practicing Tai Chi, Yoga and Meditation. I also do Rock Climbing, I am currently Studying ICT (Computers) at college which will come to an end soon. Planning to take Japanese at university in a year or so's time once I grasp it enough to take it on academically.

I find that Communication is the most important thing we as humans have, so why restrict ourselves to just one country, or one language? why not expand and meet people from other countries, the world is a fantastic place if embrace its possibilities.

I intend on learning more languages than Japanese but for now one step at a time! Japanese is my favorite language, has been since I was a kid, I've always been intrigued by Japan's culture, lifestyle, ways of life and language.

I'd like to also mention that I am willing to use Skype, Xbox Live, MSN, anything at all that allows us to connect, communicate and learn.

I am dedicated to everything I pursue and to the tee I make sure I enjoy myself, aswell as the people around me. If you wish to learn Japanese gradually and enjoyable, in a non-stressful manner, please contact me and lets get to know one another and learn together!

I apologize if this introduction is quite long, I feel my "brief" description at the beginning has gone out the window haha :)

Thanks for reading!
- D
Dominikku

Native language: English

Re: Hey :)

Postby clay » Fri 12.25.2009 9:04 am

Welcome Dominikku!

Sounds like you keep yourself busy. I hope you enjoy Japanese and TJP.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Dominikku » Fri 12.25.2009 10:39 am

Thanks man!

Yeah I like to keep myself thinking :)

Merry Christmas all! Hope you've all had a good one!

- Looking forward to finding some people to work together with!

-D
Dominikku

Postby phreadom » Sat 12.26.2009 4:29 am

Welcome to the forum! :D

I just picked up "My Japanese Coach" too (well, I got it for Christmas from my girlfriend's parents)... pretty fun so far. :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Dominikku » Sat 12.26.2009 9:54 am

phreadom wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

I just picked up "My Japanese Coach" too (well, I got it for Christmas from my girlfriend's parents)... pretty fun so far. :D

Thanks!

Yeah its a pretty awesome game! Excellent for beginners to get them into it steadily especially!

- D
Dominikku

Postby phreadom » Sat 12.26.2009 10:55 am

Dominikku wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah its a pretty awesome game! Excellent for beginners to get them into it steadily especially!

- D

I've been reading some reviews that say that some of the stroke orders are incorrect... both on the kana, and on the kanji... so you might want to double check with a reliable source to make sure you're learning the correct stroke orders.

I'm a little bummed out about this... because it's otherwise a pretty fun way to learn. I have noticed some other bugs while playing as well... for instance on the lesson I'm on now (25 I think), they are talking about the plain forms of the ichidan and godan verbs, but the example sentences they give are the formal forms from an earlier lesson that we've already seen.

Also, some of the kana are written poorly, like み for instance was so bad that I pointed it out to my girlfriend. :P

sloppy-mi.jpg
sloppy-mi.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 4963 times

Mind you, that's not the み I wrote.. that's the example the GAME gives you as the correct way to write it. :( I added a couple example み kana from various fonts on my system... IPAPGothic, Arial Unicode MS, and Meiryo.

And here's a video I just took of "My Japanese Coach" showing the incorrect stroke order for the hirgana な

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UgkXj-1b_w

The correct order can be verified elsewhere... like
http://thejapanesepage.com/beginners/hiragana/na
http://www.umich.edu/~umichjlp/Hiraganapro/na.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%E3%81%AA-bw.png

So I guess enjoy the game, but be aware that there are some errors... it might be good to try to verify the kana stroke orders before you learn them on the game... and verify the kanji when you get to that point as well.

Maybe we'll have to write up an article on here that tries to cover the errors in the game for learners like us. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Dominikku » Sat 12.26.2009 12:02 pm

The article would be a good idea mate!

I was aware it had a few errors but no idea where they laid exactly in the game. Thanks for pointing it out! I mainly do my stroke order by using my Kana Cards from white rabbit press so I'll be OK. :)

- D
Dominikku

Postby phreadom » Mon 12.28.2009 7:01 am

http://thegameprogrammer.blogspot.com/2 ... iewed.html

This appears to be the blog of one of the developers. He writes very positively about the game and trivializes the idea that there are any errors, but the comments on that post have a fairly detailed list of the kana stroke order and direction errors, as well as many other inconsistencies (kana being right in one place, but wrong in another, such as ワbeing 2 strokes when you learn it, but only 1 stroke (incorrect) in the mini-games etc.

I will continue to use the game for learning vocabulary, but I'm staying as far away from the kana writing and kanji as I can. :( I haven't learned how to correctly write even the kana yet, so I was excited about this until learning that almost 15% of the kana are incorrect. :( :( :( :( !!!

As a matter of fact, I'll paste here the list I've been putting together of the errors I've found so far myself, and those that others have reported.

Incorrect hiragana: na mo ya yo
Incorrect katakana: e ka chi ne no hi me wa wo

In other words, about 14% of the basic kana characters are taught and/or graded wrong in this program. Count 'em, 13 kana have either wrong stroke order, wrong stroke direction, or wrong stroke count. AAAAAGHHHH! How could they?

No, really... seriously, how COULD they? The correct stroke order for kana is in any number of reference books. It's not some arcane 18-stroke kanji--we're talking about characters with four, three, two.. even, for pete's sake, ONE stroke. (Katakana "no" should be drawn north-to-south, not the other way.)

-------------

Pardon me, but that's not VERY FEW. That's 14 out of 94--just shy of 14% of the basic kana characters have either wrong stroke order, wrong stroke direction, or wrong stroke count (!) This is really inexcusable--especially considering that hiragana "mo" and "yo" are frequently used particles.

What's even more discombobulating is that some of the characters listed above are shown correctly in their first introduction but graded differently in the mini-games. Katakana "wa" is correct in the example (two strokes, short one first) but requires you to write it as all one stroke in the mini-games.

-------------

Lesson/screen/syllable:

10/2 na
10/10 pu
13/2 mo
17/4 ya yo
17/7 kya cho
17/11 e
20/4 ka
20/6 me
22/4 chi
22/5 ne no
24/4 hi
24/7 wo
24/9 (fading characters game: wa=shown correctly but graded wrongly)

In mini-games, hiragana bu is also wrong (see manabu, 21/7).

However, since two of the six hiragana y-row characters are wrong, that also means that many of the combining-y characters are also wrong (kya, kyo, sha, sho, cha, cho, etc.)

-------------

On Bridge Building the current level should not change until after the fade out and fade back in.

Tapping often makes the sound, but doesn't register the tap on a button (doesn't actually activate it).

On bridge building sometimes a piece will not "lock into place", thus causing the clock to run out and the game to end.

On bridge building, the cars driving and explosion sounds should not overlay the voice reciting the phrase, as it defeats the purpose of trying to hear the proper pronunciation.

"demo" sound file has bad pop.

Occasional screen glitches.

"み" hirgana example is drawn poorly.

Stroke order for "な" is wrong. last 2 strokes should be switched around.

lesson 21 - page 3 (actually shows vocab from lesson 19 page 5), and page 5 (actually shows vocab from lesson 19 page 12) - text talks about informal forms, but the examples are the exact formal forms from the earlier lesson 19.

lesson 40 - page 10 - the voice says "kore ga" but the text says "sore ga"

We could probably build on this... perhaps we can create a Wiki page that details the exact errors and list the incorrect kanji as we find them, with links to the correct stroke order, direction, and counts for the different kana and kanji.

I haven't noticed any real vocabulary errors so far, but I'm only a beginner myself, so I wouldn't know for sure anyway. :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Mon 12.28.2009 7:30 am

I've split this discussion off and created its own thread in the Learning Materials section of the forum. :)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14101

Please continue any discussion about the errors and bugs in this game on that thread. :)

Thanks!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Dominikku » Mon 12.28.2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for making another thread :) keeps this one clean!

- D
Dominikku

The Japanese Coach

Postby themonk » Mon 09.05.2011 8:47 pm

Phreadom san-

It has been a while since you commented on the game. How do you like it?

I read everyone's comments that I could lay my hands on. Most people only covered the beginning portion, being dissatisfied with the strokes and to some extent, the lack of kanjis, when they exist.

I am more curious about the later sections, where it covers verbs and grammar, if it does.

phreadom wrote:
Dominikku wrote:

Thanks!

- D

I've been reading some reviews that say that some of the stroke orders are incorrect... both on the kana, and on the kanji... so you might want to double check with a reliable source to make sure you're learning the correct stroke orders.

I'm a little bummed out about this... because it's otherwise a pretty fun way to learn. I have noticed some other bugs while playing as well... for instance on the lesson I'm on now (25 I think), they are talking about the plain forms of the ichidan and godan verbs, but the example sentences they give are the formal forms from an earlier lesson that we've already seen.

Also, some of the kana are written poorly, like み for instance was so bad that I pointed it out to my girlfriend. :P

sloppy-mi.jpg

Mind you, that's not the み I wrote.. that's the example the GAME gives you as the correct way to write it. :( I added a couple example み kana from various fonts on my system... IPAPGothic, Arial Unicode MS, and Meiryo.

And here's a video I just took of "My Japanese Coach" showing the incorrect stroke order for the hirgana な

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UgkXj-1b_w

The correct order can be verified elsewhere... like
http://thejapanesepage.com/beginners/hiragana/na
http://www.umich.edu/~umichjlp/Hiraganapro/na.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%E3%81%AA-bw.png

So I guess enjoy the game, but be aware that there are some errors... it might be good to try to verify the kana stroke orders before you learn them on the game... and verify the kanji when you get to that point as well.

Maybe we'll have to write up an article on here that tries to cover the errors in the game for learners like us. :)
themonk

Native language: NA

Postby phreadom » Mon 09.05.2011 10:39 pm

There's more on the thread I split off from this thread.

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... 15&t=14101

That covers some more, but I'm not sure if anyone here has really gone that far with it? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable would be able to better answer that.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Return to Introductions