View topic - Small question on 第十章

Small question on 第十章

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

Small question on 第十章

Postby Pianogirl123 » Thu 12.31.2009 11:40 pm

At the end of the chapter after the prince asks yuki to marry him she says:
なんと言ったらいいか…。けれどももし若殿さまがそうお望みならば、思し召すままに」とゆきは言いました。

I thought this was:
"Even if you say that [I am the daughter of a Lord], If you feel that way I will have to think about it."

However, a few chapters later, when the Prince is talking to the Fox (私の結婚式にいただけたら、大変光栄です) Here it sounds like the wedding has already been decided. Either I didn't get that first part right, or I missed something in between.

Help? ^^;
Pianogirl123

Re: Small question on 第十章

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.01.2010 5:07 am

Pianogirl123 wrote:At the end of the chapter after the prince asks yuki to marry him she says:
なんと言ったらいいか…。けれどももし若殿さまがそうお望みならば、思し召すままに」とゆきは言いました。

I thought this was:
"Even if you say that [I am the daughter of a Lord], If you feel that way I will have to think about it."

However, a few chapters later, when the Prince is talking to the Fox (私の結婚式にいただけたら、大変光栄です) Here it sounds like the wedding has already been decided. Either I didn't get that first part right, or I missed something in between.

Help? ^^;

The first sentence is left unfinished, but it would be something like: ....わかりませんが. So you get " (I don't know)what to say...

The second part is "If your lordship so wishes, so it shall be". (Meaning that since he asked her she will go along with his wishes.

I haven't actually read ゆきの物語 but I gather it has a rather 時代劇ish feel about it. People don't usually talk like this these days, but it gives it a nice old-fashioned feel.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: Small question on 第十章

Postby Pianogirl123 » Sun 01.03.2010 6:20 pm

I sort of get it now, thank you! Yuki is quite agreeable isn't she?
Pianogirl123

Return to ゆきの物語