Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Changes afoot... ;)

Changes afoot... ;)

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Re: Changes afoot... ;)

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.02.2010 8:14 am

Harisenbon wrote:Nice changes, Phreadom!

The whole site looks all bright and cheery.
Especially like the Maneki-neko for the forum!

Thanks! You can thank our very own shock_x for that great idea! :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby shoCk_x » Sat 01.02.2010 8:15 am

phreadom wrote:Thanks! You can thank our very own shock_x for that great idea! :D

HEHEEE :)

btw Justin I had to sit for a few seconds to realize where the forum link was, too ): but I don't go on the forums very often so :P
shoCk_x

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.02.2010 10:31 am

Nice.

The top banner seems a bit too thick though. Just be sure that you test the pages with both the zoom function, and zoom text only to see how it affects the formatting. Zooming text only seriously messes up your formatting. That green plant reminds me of a shark comming out of the depths to eat a seal. It really reminds me of two jaws chomping on the japanesepage logo.

I notice that if I zoom text only then I have vertical bars on opposite sides of the forum, the left starts with my name and the right with the TJP newsletter. but if I use regular zoom then there is only the left vertical bar and the TJP newsletter and all below it disappear entirely.

When I have text only, the width does change though, so thank you for using variable width. I get really frusterated with all the webpages set very wide. It's fine for pictures, but my eyes have trouble following a line of text more than 8 inches long.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.02.2010 10:42 am

Well, here in the forum I actually wrote the code to hide the right sidebar when the page gets too narrow. That's intentional. :P

Other than that, for people doing text zoom only, I'm afraid that's kind of unfortunate for them for now. I can't spend all my time breaking the code and wasting hours on things that almost nobody will ever see or care about. I already spent several hours having to recode perfectly good standard code that worked in every modern browser perfectly because IE6 is such garbage, but too many people still use it... and it HORRIBLY broke the site.

Maybe when we have all the other things done that we really need to work on we can revisit the text sizing stuff. ;)

As for the top bar... I don't think it hurts to have some breathing room up top. Trying to make it smaller meant sacrificing the look and feel. It was a trade-off.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 01.02.2010 12:22 pm

Infidel wrote:That green plant reminds me of a shark comming out of the depths to eat a seal. It really reminds me of two jaws chomping on the japanesepage logo.

I totally agree about plant. It looks out of place in this context. However, I really like the beige colour and would like to congratulate phreadom for doing another huge facelift for TJP. Your effort is really appreciated here mate!
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.02.2010 2:06 pm

Why all the hatin' on the lil' bamboo sprout? :'(

I don't remember anyone complaining about it on the last design. :P

oldtop2.png
oldtop2.png (80.75 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

newtop2.png
newtop2.png (65.33 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

It may have been hidden better, but it's been there all along. :) I just brought it to the forefront now. :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Dustin » Sat 01.02.2010 2:10 pm

Wow.....

now that itès mentioned IT LOOKS HORRIBLE BAD PHREADOM!!

Kidding, I like it, and yeah the exact same sprout just less hidden :D

GJ on redesign, especially moving the shoutbox ;)
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 01.02.2010 2:15 pm

phreadom wrote:Why all the hatin' on the lil' bamboo sprout? :'(

I don't remember anyone complaining about it on the last design. :P

oldtop2.png

newtop2.png

It may have been hidden better, but it's been there all along. :) I just brought it to the forefront now. :mrgreen:

This is web 2.0 now! We're getting rid of all the organic waste material and concentrating on cold facts :D But lol anyway on the sprout :D I just have no love for it :D Just wanted to shout out for phreadom's contribution! True dat that its quite insignificant but still... Me and Rykk are for the abolishment!
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.02.2010 2:17 pm

Dustin_Calgary wrote:GJ on redesign, especially moving the shoutbox ;)

For those that don't know... some of the friendly folks here that frequent the chat, like shock_X and Dustin, helped critique my design while I've been working on it over the past few months. Dustin is the one responsible for hassling me to no end about relegating the shoutbox to the top right corner because the top left (where I had actually had it) was too prominent for him... actually even being on the site at all was too prominent for him, but we compromised. ;)

I do want to extent a warm thanks all all the people who helped critique the design while I worked on it... the end result is better for it!

猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Sat 01.02.2010 3:50 pm

I'm surprised I'm the only guy who -- I'm sorry to say -- doesn't like the forum integration... ^^;

It's annoying how the right sidebar doesn't go away until the page has finished loading, and the content area is all squished together for people like me who are still using 1024x768.

I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me if I had a way to change the skin, but I don't have the option... tjp-embed is the only skin offered.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.02.2010 4:37 pm

phreadom wrote:Why all the hatin' on the lil' bamboo sprout? :'(

Just move it a little to the left or right like it was before. It's not that the sprout itself is bad, it's the positioning that makes it look like some kind of green shark.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby furrykef » Sat 01.02.2010 6:00 pm

You have a problem with green sharks?
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.02.2010 7:32 pm

furrykef wrote:I'm surprised I'm the only guy who -- I'm sorry to say -- doesn't like the forum integration... ^^;

It's annoying how the right sidebar doesn't go away until the page has finished loading, and the content area is all squished together for people like me who are still using 1024x768.

I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me if I had a way to change the skin, but I don't have the option... tjp-embed is the only skin offered.

- Kef

First, a lot of people really wanted the integration so that they could follow the rest of the site as well and not be isolated when on the forum. (Including Clay)

Thus I put a lot of work into writing up the code in a way to include a way for the right side bar to be hidden at low resolutions to try to give more room.

Anyway... :( :( :( :(

I'm having a bad day. Nothing else to say about it right now.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 01.02.2010 10:29 pm

Phreadom, don't let it get you down. You're doing a great job :D

We really appreciate your hard work. The site is looking great and once a few bugs are sorted it's going to be totally awesome.

ganbatte kudasai!! :D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby furrykef » Sun 01.03.2010 12:36 am

phreadom wrote:First, a lot of people really wanted the integration so that they could follow the rest of the site as well and not be isolated when on the forum. (Including Clay)

I'm not saying the integration is a bad idea, I'm just saying it shouldn't have to be the only option. Shouldn't it be possible to allow the user to select a skin that doesn't include the integration?
furrykef

PreviousNext

Return to Problems