Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Happy New Year!

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 12.30.2009 11:46 pm

Happy New Year to all TJP'ers!!

I'm puzzled as to why there are so many ways to say "Happy new year" in Japanese and I'm wondering what is the difference between the following:

お正月おめでとう(ございます)
新年おめでとう
明けましておめでとう

I'm not sure about the third one. I'm thinking that the first is referring just to the new year period (お正月) and that the second is referring to the whole year. Am I close??
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: Happy New Year!

Postby ss » Thu 12.31.2009 7:43 am

Karen, your JP is definitely more advanced than me and you surely know JP culture and custom far better than me. I think I'm in new year's mood, I like topic like this, but I could be wrong in some way, please feel free to correct me. (And sorry for the long post :wink: )

I've always felt that Japanese New Year and Chinese New Year share some common beliefs and events.
In Chinese Almanac Calendar, 「正月」refers to celebration/events starting from 1st of January, ending on the 15th of January. As we know, 冬至 is the day with shortest day and longest night, after 冬至, days gradually becoming longer. 立春 marks the first day of spring that occurs on the new day of the beginning year 正月, so 正月 is also called 元旦 (First day of New year). Also, some people believe 元旦 is for the welcoming of the deities, bringing prosperity, fortune and happiness, it actually begins at 子時 which is 11pm at night.

You might also hear 「新しい春を迎え芽が出る」 "The bud blooms on new spring", it has connotations of "A new life begins", "start afresh", "welcoming/looking forward to a whole new year". That's how I understand it.

If I'm not mistaken, among the Japanese 年中行事, お正月 refers to the day from 1st of January till 20th of January depending on areas. As now the Japanese are following modern Gregorian calendar, I guess they are enjoying 3 days official public holidays from the Jan 1st to 3rd, just like the Chinese here are officially given 3-day holidays during the Lunar Chinese New Year. And I have heard that some regions continue events till the 7th day of お正月, known as 「松七日」. Not sure when the celebration ends in Japan, in Lion City, events still go on, people do visit or make a new year call to each other until the 15th of 正月.

I'm not sure I will say 新年おめでとう before the お正月 starts.
(I think when people say "Happy New Year", it should be the whole year and not just the first few days of the year :) ? and then people don't say "Happy whole year" :twisted: )

お正月おめでとう(ございます) is said after 0:00 of 1st January. Before that, people usually say よいお年をおむかえください(お迎えください)

明けましておめでとう is also said on the first morning of the new year. There's a phrase 「夜が明けましたよ」 "The night was over, it's morning! (Old year was gone, brand new year has begun!).

May you (and everyone) have a wonderful holiday and a blessed & fruitful 2010!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Txkun » Thu 12.31.2009 9:13 am

I'm sorry, I can't say much about your language question but I would like too to wish everyone here an Happy New Year and a wonderful 2010 (nice number, isn't it?).

I hope you will be successful in your lifes and studies. :D
Last edited by Txkun on Mon 01.04.2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby phreadom » Thu 12.31.2009 11:23 am

As it is OFFICIALLY New Years in Japan now, I'd like to wish all of our Japanese friends a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

(As well as our Australian friends and anyone else over in those time zones!) ;)

:mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 01.03.2010 1:22 am

I think the most common is あけましておめでとう followed by 新年おめでとう. お正月おめでとう sounds a little strange, and 良いお年を is said before the year changes.

BTW if anyone is interested I've put up an album with photos of our 初詣 (Hatsu-moude: the first shrine visit of the new year).

New Year's Album
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 01.03.2010 2:15 am

becki_kanou wrote:I think the most common is あけましておめでとう followed by 新年おめでとう. お正月おめでとう sounds a little strange, and 良いお年を is said before the year changes.

When I get Christmas cards from Japanese people they write お正月おめでとう more commnly than あけましておめでとう and never 新年おめでとう. Perhaps they assume that I might not undertsand the others. But when I had 書道 classes, we did the kanji 新年. I thought that お正月おめでとう was more common, but then got confused!! :D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby ss » Sun 01.03.2010 3:23 am

Beckiさん、thanks for sharing the album. I feel like munching a grilled corn!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby gabi in japan » Sun 01.03.2010 3:28 am

Me too!! So much yummy food. I want to go to Japan at New Year's!!

:D
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Postby aky2010 » Mon 01.04.2010 5:24 am

明けましておめでとうございます。
昨年は大変お世話になりました。
本年もよろしくお願い致します。
---------------------------------------------------------
上記の文章は、友達・隣人へ年賀状を書く際に非常によく使われます。
決まり文句なので、自分なりの文章を一言添えると良いかもしれません。
友達に送るのであれば、「今度ごはん食べに行こう!」とか「食べすぎちゃダメだよ」など・・笑
あくまで主観ですが・・・ご参考にまで。

We often use these above sentence when we write a New Year's Card for your friends and neighbors .It might be better to add your own message because that is fixed expression:"Let's go for a meal next time!","Don't eat too much!(during winter holiday)" or something like that.
But It's just my opinion...just for your information.

※英語ちがったら都度教えてください。 :oops:
英語は永遠の課題です
aky2010

Native language: 日本語

Return to Japanese General Discussion