Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Writing Tool?

Writing Tool?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Writing Tool?

Postby Fatories » Mon 01.04.2010 8:09 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to the website and the forum and have just recently started learning Hiragana. In most symbols (not sure what there actually called, sorry if they have a name) theres the little points on the tips of the symbol.(If you go to Hiragana, lesson 1 on vowels you will see what I mean).

So I was wondering, do the Japanese people have a special writing tool to do that? What writing tool do they use?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Fatories

Native language: English

Re: Writing Tool?

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.04.2010 8:31 pm

I think for letters like that they are showing more of a calligraphy style, which is generally written with a brush and ink.

Normal written Japanese doesn't necessarily look just like that. :)

But some examples of what you might be wondering about would be:

202549215SpuWtb_ph.jpg
202549215SpuWtb_ph.jpg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Uranus2018BrushHN.jpg
Uranus2018BrushHN.jpg (452.06 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

And for what you would more traditionally use to write such "calligraphy" style characters...

d8jk7l0000000g5g.jpg
d8jk7l0000000g5g.jpg (419.86 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Mind you, I'm just a beginner myself, so type my answer with a grain of salt. ;) But I figured it better to try to answer than to wait for someone else. :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Fatories » Mon 01.04.2010 8:41 pm

Alright that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help, but just another question.

So you don't actually have to right it with the points on the tips? Is it alright to leave those out?
Fatories

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.04.2010 9:03 pm

Again, this is my beginner opinion, but as far as I know in handwriting you can leave them out. :)

I see plenty of examples of handwriting with them left out. I think it depends on how formally or "proper" you're attempting to make your writing.

Hopefully someone else can give a more insightful answer. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Fatories » Mon 01.04.2010 9:23 pm

Thank you for your help.

I just wanted to make sure it was alright because I don't have a writing tool that can make precise marks like those (I've had lots of trouble with a regular pen and pencil) and thats the way I've been practicing writing.

Thanks again.
Fatories

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.04.2010 11:15 pm

While many people do leave out the slash tips at the end of certain lines while writing, it is still not the correct way to write the kanji.
Also, many times the tips will be contained in the handwritten kanji, but just be so faint as to not notice them.

In order to put them in with a pencil, lightly flick the pencil up while you take pressure off of it, and you should be able to make a pretty fading tip, kind of like with a brush.

If you look at the 静かに,少し and 線 at the bottom of the image I've attached , you can see that even in handwriting, the tips are still there.

Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Japanese General Discussion