Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Input of Radicals

Input of Radicals

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Input of Radicals

Postby foozlesprite » Mon 01.04.2010 8:22 pm

Hey all. I'm starting to learn some more kanji, and I think it would be useful for me to learn the radicals, their variants, and their basic meanings. I got this information from various places (feel free to suggest more if you'd like, though!), and I'd like to make online flash cards of at least the 79 radicals used in Kanji and Kana. I know how to input 人 on a computer, for example, but I'm not sure how to input the radical forms of it as used in 今 and 休. Is there a way, using the Japanese IME, to input just the radical alone? Or is this impossible? Thanks for any help you can give!
foozlesprite

Native language: English

Re: Input of Radicals

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.05.2010 1:26 am

Open the handwriting recognition part of the IME (represented by an icon of a yellow bucket with some pens and stuff it in on the IME toolbar), and on the left choose the 4th option (部).

Now, on the left it will show you all the radicals, and if you choose one it will show you all the kanji that use that radical. All (most of?) the lists will have just the radical somewhere in the list. Click on it to insert it into a text field or word processor.

Note: You must have a text field active (i.e. click on a place to write text so you get a blinking cursor) before the IME is even activated. If you just want to play around with the kanji selection tool, you can click on the address bar of your browser or even the Run/Search bar of your start menu to activate it.
keatonatron

Re: Input of Radicals

Postby foozlesprite » Tue 01.05.2010 2:33 am

I'd just been using the quick language switch option docked on my taskbar, but the full bar has a lot more options to play with. The handwriting recognition seems really useful as well. Thanks for the help! *hugs*
foozlesprite

Return to Computers & Technology