Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Opinions on these areas: negishi - asakusa - nishihara?

Opinions on these areas: negishi - asakusa - nishihara?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Opinions on these areas: negishi - asakusa - nishihara?

Postby ruisu81 » Fri 12.04.2009 12:09 pm

Hey all, do you guys have any opinions about these three areas?
negishi - asakusa - nishihara
These are the three places I've been able to find that work well with my budget and are an easy commute to school (130-190 yen by train). I think I can actually ride a bike from the first two.

I don't mind venturing far during the day, but I hear that trains stop running at 1am and cabs are very expensive. Something like 4,000 yen for an 8km trip? If I get lucky with no traffic, that's about 3-4 times as much as a NYC yellow cab! It is at the very least twice as much (tip included).

So, the more interesting the area at night the better. If it helps, I really enjoy going to small shows (bands), relaxing at pubs, bars and lounges — I'm fascinated by the idea of the izakaya — nighttime strolls, and photography.

Thank you very much
ruisu81

Re: Opinions on these areas: negishi - asakusa - nishihara?

Postby spin13 » Sat 12.05.2009 1:08 am

Asakusa and Negishi aren't too far from each other and both have that shitamachi feel. The main difference is that Asakusa is a major tourist destination, even for Japanese people. This has benefits, such as lively restaurants and shops, but can be taxing as well.

Negishi is much quieter, though the area right around Uguisudani station, known for its love hotels, is a bit lit up. Though you can walk to Ueno from Asakusa, if having direct access to the Yamanote line is important, Negishi is also the better choice (Uguisudani station). The area just north of Ueno, including Negishi, has quite a number of Korean restaurants which, at least to me, is also a plus.

If you like the idea of living in shitamachi but want more of a busy city feel, I see from your other share house thread there are places to stay in Ueno, Naka-/Shin-/Okachimachi, and Yushima. Of course, you can walk or bike to these places from either Negishi and Asakusa.

I know nothing about Nishihara as I've never lived in the area, nor can I recall ever having visited.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby ruisu81 » Sat 12.05.2009 2:02 am

Interesting. I just read Yamanote and Shitamachi. I'd never heard the terms used that way before. From your thoughts and the article, I do like the sound of shitamachi! I had no idea there were different dialects within Tokyo. Shitamachi kotoba sounds pretty cool, too.

Thanks for the tips, picking a place feels a lot like throwing darts.
ruisu81

Postby keatonatron » Sat 12.05.2009 7:38 am

Heh, I feel so high-class in my Nakano penthouse. :lol:
keatonatron

Postby spin13 » Sat 12.05.2009 9:59 am

ruisu81 wrote:Shitamachi kotoba sounds pretty cool, too.

Don't get yourself too worked up. 下町言葉 is pretty much gone. There are a few bits and pieces remaining in regular use but most of it is either no longer unique to the area or has been replaced by standard Japanese. You might, for example, meet some people who can't differential ひ and し, but for most it's a choice. You'll occasionally hear small things like older men using あたし, but that's about it.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby keatonatron » Sat 12.05.2009 10:58 am

spin13 wrote:下町言葉 is pretty much gone.

People move around so much, it's pretty much impossible to tell what part of Tokyo someone is from just by listening to their speech (unlike larger graphical regions, such as Osaka, Kyuushu, etc.)
keatonatron

Postby ruisu81 » Tue 01.05.2010 5:26 am

Just a little update, I moved to Asakusa. I stayed in Ueno during the New Years holidays. It was pretty nice there, a quick shot to Shinjuku, Harajuku, even Chiba seemed closer than I expected.

I found a really cheap hotel (if you book online) called Weekly Mansion - Ueno. I was paying about USD$50-60 a night depending on whether it was a weekday. It was nice and clean, had a little balcony. Highly recommended for budget travellers.

Since Asakusa is so close to Ueno, I was not prepared for how much the areas differ. I'm living in this rat-hole now, looking for a new place, lol. I'm trapped here for a month. I really feel like I was deceived by the company. I wasn't expecting much, but my room smells moldy and I think that can actually cause sickness. There are roach traps everywhere all over the building, and it's really dirty in general. I was worried by the disclaimer in the deposit agreement that said I will make no complaints about agreeing to move into a room I have never seen. But I just brushed it off as the usual legal protection business. They got me!

Oh well though, I gotta say, so far I really love Tokyo! If you've ever wanted to come here, it's really a great place. The people are very approachable, stores have a really good sense of customer service and I think it would be hard not to enjoy it. Even if you're living in a rat-trap.

Ah, one thing I do not like:
Music shows start very early in the evening, sometimes even in the afternoon. And they're really EXPENSIVE. No-name bands can be USD$25-30.
ruisu81

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.05.2010 9:13 am

ruisu81 wrote:Music shows start very early in the evening, sometimes even in the afternoon. And they're really EXPENSIVE. No-name bands can be USD$25-30.

Yep :x

Since the stupid trains stupidly stop running really early, shows have to end around 10 or so. There might be some other reason as well, but whatever it is... it's stupid.

And yes, shows are insanely expensive... probably because the people that go to them usually do nothing else but work and have lots of money to blow.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.05.2010 3:10 pm

keatonatron wrote:And yes, shows are insanely expensive... probably because the people that go to them usually do nothing else but work and have lots of money to blow.

can't be working too much if you are going to afternoon shows.. (of course, there are those night jobs out there.. lol)
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.05.2010 3:31 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:can't be working too much if you are going to afternoon shows..

You can if it's on a Saturday.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.05.2010 4:06 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:can't be working too much if you are going to afternoon shows..

You can if it's on a Saturday.
shh, quit harshing my mello.. LOL

I guess a Saturday afternoon concert is just an odd concept ..
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Wed 01.06.2010 3:36 am

two_heads_talking wrote:.... I guess a Saturday afternoon concert is just an odd concept ..

Saturday afternoon concerts would be weird.

I saw Mick Jagger at a Sunday afternoon concert during his 1988 solo tour. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.06.2010 4:48 am

In Japan's defense, the only time concerts start in the afternoon is when you have such a long list of bands that it's the only way to get them all in before 10 or 11 (i.e. all-day events).
keatonatron

Postby ruisu81 » Wed 01.06.2010 7:30 am

OIC...the opening-opening-opening-opening acts :D

That's alright then.
ruisu81

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan