Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Changes afoot... ;)

Changes afoot... ;)

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Re: Changes afoot... ;)

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 01.03.2010 5:35 am

Hi! I encountered a minor (at least it seems minor to me :wink: ) glitch on the site. When I logged into chat and then wanted to go back to TJP main page, it came up with an error and it couldn't find the page it was trying to find. That was
http://tjpold.phreadom.com/forum/
I had to type thejapanesepage.com back into the browser to get here. I tried it again and it happened a couple of times.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.03.2010 7:58 am

furrykef wrote:
phreadom wrote:First, a lot of people really wanted the integration so that they could follow the rest of the site as well and not be isolated when on the forum. (Including Clay)

I'm not saying the integration is a bad idea, I'm just saying it shouldn't have to be the only option. Shouldn't it be possible to allow the user to select a skin that doesn't include the integration?

I'd rather you didn't... The actual un-embedded forum uses a different URL than the embedded one, so you can't just change the style. You'd have to also use the different URL etc... and I'm not sure how well even that would work as the forum is setup to be embedded now. In short, I'm sorry it's squished for you. I already took out the right sidebar for you... maybe it's time for a bigger monitor? ;) (I got a 22" CRT that I run at 1600x1200 several years ago for around $200. I'm sure they're even cheaper now unless you insist on getting a flat panel... I'm still waiting to get one of those myself because I need a higher quality one for my design work, and at the size and quality I need they're still several hundred dollars that I don't have right now.)

With that said... I've enabled the prosilver style, so if you really want you can go change your style and go to the forum directly at /phpbb/ instead of /forum/. I really don't like leaving it set like that and might change it back later to disable prosilver again.

I recommend you get used to using it as intended. :)

tokai devotee wrote:Hi! I encountered a minor (at least it seems minor to me :wink: ) glitch on the site. When I logged into chat and then wanted to go back to TJP main page, it came up with an error and it couldn't find the page it was trying to find. That was
http://tjpold.phreadom.com/forum/
I had to type thejapanesepage.com back into the browser to get here. I tried it again and it happened a couple of times.

Oops! Fixed. :P Yes, the chat page was "hard coded" off a copy of another page on the site and some of the links in the site menu had to be set to full URLs due to a shortcoming of Drupal (my opinion), the main site software etc... blah blah

Needless to say it's fixed now. :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby furrykef » Sun 01.03.2010 4:50 pm

Well, I'd offer to help fix it so that a user can choose to seamlessly disable the integration without any problems or URL hacking, but if I'm the only guy who wants it, I guess it ain't gonna happen... ^^;
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby clay » Sun 01.03.2010 7:50 pm

Well, one day--and this may far in the future unfortunately--I would like to make a mobile version of the forums. If we do that, I'm sure we could also make a simple theme that leaves the forum bare.

I am very impressed with what Phreadom has done with the forums, though. You don't know how complicated it was. I hired two design firms (one supposedly versed in Drupal) and neither could do what he did. Apparently, integrating phpBB with Drupal ain't easy. Not only that, but the disappearing/reappearing right column is a nice touch.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 01.03.2010 9:34 pm

Not a big problem, but I tried to change my avatar back from the Christmas version and it won't accept my new photo for some reason. Then it squished my original avatar. I noticed the allowed avatar size has shrunk from 120x120 to 85x85, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

If it's any help I got the message:

/var/www/vhosts/thejapanesepage.com/httpdocs/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-85660.jpg could not be copied.

when I tried to upload the new picture.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby clay » Sun 01.03.2010 9:45 pm

Thanks Becki.

Phreadom is on R&R (or at least should be :)) He has been working on this site almost non-stop for days now. But as soon as he is back fully rested (and I hope not a second earlier), I'll send him this to checkout.

(Just in case you are lurking here now, go play a video game!!)
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.04.2010 11:37 am

I did as the doctor ordered and stayed away for the rest of the night. :)

Becki, it should be fixed now. While the forum was set to allow 120x120 @ 40kB, the main part of the site was set to 85x85 @ 30kB.

Let me know if you have any further trouble with it. (maybe I'll test it out myself in a minute to be sure...)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby IceCream » Tue 01.05.2010 12:31 am

hiya :)
i used to have an rss feed of the forum going, but i can't figure out how to set it up again. :oops: please can you direct me to the right bit? :)
IceCream

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 01.05.2010 2:52 am

phreadom wrote:I did as the doctor ordered and stayed away for the rest of the night. :)

Becki, it should be fixed now. While the forum was set to allow 120x120 @ 40kB, the main part of the site was set to 85x85 @ 30kB.

Let me know if you have any further trouble with it. (maybe I'll test it out myself in a minute to be sure...)

Thanks! It worked as you can see. Keep up the good work, phreadom!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby phreadom » Tue 01.05.2010 7:55 am

becki_kanou wrote:Thanks! It worked as you can see. Keep up the good work, phreadom!

Excellent! I had to show Meghan Rin's picture. She says he's soooo cute!! :D

IceCream wrote:hiya :)
i used to have an rss feed of the forum going, but i can't figure out how to set it up again. :oops: please can you direct me to the right bit? :)

There should be an RSS icon in your address bar now.

As of the latest version of PHPBB (the forum software), RSS feeds (or Atom feeds as the case may be) are included as part of the software natively, so the setup changed a bit.

Let me know if you still have trouble with it? I'd like to make sure it works optimally for everyone, but I'm not familiar enough with using RSS myself to really know.

Thanks!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby IceCream » Wed 01.06.2010 1:08 am

Thankyou! :mrgreen:

hey, cool new smilies :ninja: :think: :sweatdrop: :whistle: :colonthree:

yeah, it's all cool now. The feed is as good as always, though there used to be a way to set it all up at once, and now you have to subscribe to each forum individually (if you just subsribe to the whole forum, you don't get to read the posts themselves in the reader). But, its really no big deal at all, cos once its set up its not like you have to bother with it again.

Thanks again :ninja:
IceCream

Native language: English

Postby clay » Thu 01.07.2010 10:13 am

Maybe Phreadom can look at that soon. It would be nice to have an all post from all forums feed.
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.07.2010 11:27 am

clay wrote:Maybe Phreadom can look at that soon. It would be nice to have an all post from all forums feed.

It should be set now... the "All Topics" feed.

Is this what you guys meant? :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clay » Thu 01.07.2010 1:34 pm

"All Forums" can be removed, I think. It just shows the forum titles and description--not any posts.

"All Topics" is kind of nice, but it only shows new topics and not subsequent posts. It does span all the forums, though.

I'm not sure what "News" does...

The top choice "TheJapanesePage.com" does seem to span all forums now. Funny, I don't see my posts, though.

I'd say remove "All Forums" and "News" maybe?
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.07.2010 2:01 pm

Ok, now we have the main feed that shows each new post in each each forum... with the subforum section name prepended to the thread title. That's the "TheJapanesePage.com" feed. That's the "EVERYTHING" feed.

Then we have the "All Topics" feed... that only shows the first post in each new topic.

Then the subforum specific feed... so you can follow only the "Genki" or "Introductions" subforum or whatever if you want..

And then we have the Topic specific feed. So you can follow just one thread if you want.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it is from looking at the results of clicking on the little RSS icon up in my address bar here in Firefox. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Problems