Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help trying to figure out how to say this sentence...

Need help trying to figure out how to say this sentence...

Do you have a translation question?

Need help trying to figure out how to say this sentence...

Postby Kisai » Tue 01.05.2010 8:16 pm

I wanna leave a message on my friend's computer that says, "You copied me, Kris." but I can't really figure out what the word order should be and all that. I have, so far... "模倣すた", which if I'm not mistaken, is "copy" in terms of "imitate", and I think I correctly changed it to past tense. I would imagine the rest would be as simple as, say, knowing where to put "atashi", "anata", and "desu", right?

Maybe... Anata... moho suta... atashi desu? "あなた 模倣すた あたし です"? Is that word order, or even grammer, correct at all? Did I have the right idea whatsoever? ^^;
Kisai

Native language: English

Re: Need help trying to figure out how to say this sentence...

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 01.05.2010 8:24 pm

Copy in the sense of "to copycat" or "to steal another person's ideas" is パクる. It's a little slangy but it sounds just right for what you want to say.

Another thing to remember with Japanese is you don't need to be as explicit about subjects and objects as you do in English, as you can figure them out from context. Therefore you can leave both the "you" and the "me" unstated here. (You were right about changing to past tense, but the past tense of する is した not すた.)

So, put it all together and you should get something like: 「パクったね、クリス!」

BTW does this Kris even speak Japanese?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: Need help trying to figure out how to say this sentence...

Postby Kisai » Tue 01.05.2010 8:39 pm

No. ^^ I'm borrowing his laptop, and we both figured that I might as well make my own account since my two laptops are broken and I'm forced to borrow his every now and then. His account is password protected, but he told me his password anyway, and well, if I'm using his account so freely (and I'm obviously going to keep borrowing his laptop a lot in the near future), why not make my own account?

The reason for such a message is because on one of my two old broken laptops, for my password hint on the log-in, I wrote, "Nice try" taunting anyone who thought they could try to figure out my password. ^_^;;; Well, while borrowing his laptop, I notice Kris had wrote that as HIS password hint after all these years. ^^; So I was gonna make MY password hint for my account on his laptop say, "You copied me, Kris." but in Japanese.

The reason for Japanese? Just to mess with him some more. ^_^ Hehe. Kinda like an encoded message of sorts.

Speaking of which... クリス... "ku-ri-su"... Is that proper katakana for "Kris"? (EDIT: Nevermind, re-reading your Japanese to study it a bit after making this post, I notice you already beat me to that!)

And thanks for that word. ^^; The one I picked was straight out of a Japanese dictionary. That's more of a slang term? And the idea of figuring out what someone's saying based on context? I like that. We call that "reading comprehension" in school, and I think it's something people should be using a lot more. -_-
Kisai

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion