Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Red Box

Red Box

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Red Box

Postby Dehitay » Thu 01.07.2010 8:06 pm

For those of you who may not be familiar with what a red box is, let me explain. It's essentially a vending machine that rents out movies on DVD. You sign up, get a card, see which movies are in the red box, and choose what you want to watch. It's a dollar for every night that you have it out, and you can return the movie to any red box, not just the one you got it from.

I was wondering how popular Red Box is? I know they're all around San Antonio, but I don't know if they're even national let alone international. Hell, I don't even know if they span the entire state of Texas. So I wanted to survey the population here since we have a fairly decent international population.

Where do you live, and are there Red Boxes in your area?
If there isn't, is there a similar machine for renting movies or not?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: Red Box

Postby clay » Thu 01.07.2010 8:30 pm

We live in a small Floridian town and I've seen them in McDonald's and Wal-Marts. I've never used it, but I would expect it to be pretty popular since it is so widespread.

We use Netflix and love it. It streams well with the Xbox 360 (we just got a Blu-ray player that streams Netflix, but doesn't do as good of a job).
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Thu 01.07.2010 9:54 pm

Dehitay wrote:.... Where do you live, and are there Red Boxes in your area?
If there isn't, is there a similar machine for renting movies or not?

I live in Adelaide, Australia and as far as I know there is one DVD vending machine in Adelaide but it isn't a redbox, it is a Glued.

I went to the redbox web site and tried to find one in Australia using their location finder and couldn't find one.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.07.2010 10:00 pm

Looks like there are around 20 within a 20 mile radius of me up here in Michigan.

I'd honestly never heard of it before today. :blush:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 01.08.2010 4:53 pm

have a red box at teh 7-11 a half mile from my home. also have one in the wegmann's about 5 miles from my house.. probably more if i cared to see how many are around..
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Sat 01.09.2010 7:08 pm

It's looking more like it does span the US. I'm wondering how far it goes internationally. Are there any Canadians that have seen a red box pop up where they live? Or maybe they do exist in Australia, but just further away from where Chikara lives
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby chikara » Mon 01.11.2010 12:34 am

Dehitay wrote:...... Or maybe they do exist in Australia, but just further away from where Chikara lives

I used the redbox locator to search every major city in Australia (yep, all five of them) and couldn't find a single location. I also did a search just on "Australia" and also found none.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby akirarene » Thu 01.14.2010 2:32 am

I don't know if our machine is called red box but we do have them in Alberta,Canada
akirarene

Return to General off topic