Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Manga conversation translation help

Manga conversation translation help

Do you have a translation question?

Manga conversation translation help

Postby deovier » Sun 01.10.2010 10:41 am

Hello. :3
Currently, I'm trying to translate chapter 9 of Ao no Exorcist (all 45 pages) and I'm having some trouble on page one, with this conversation. I posted the entire page just to help with clarification. Any help will be much appreciated.

(Here's a link to the manga raw: ++ )

Page 01:
Pannel 1:
Bubble 1: 皆さん初任務どうしたはりました?
Mina-san hatsu ninmu doushita wa rimashita
Everyone, how did your first job go?
Bubble 2: 。。。どーもこーも。。。
… Do – mo ko – mo …

Pannel 2:
Bald kid: 僕はリーバーのオリの掃除でした
Boku wa riibaa no ori no souji deshita
I was cleaning the Ori.
Bon: 俺は山奥の現場まで 物資運ばされたわ
Ore wa yama oku no genba made busshi hakobasare tawa
I was taken to look at the moutain recesses supplies.
Panda shirt: 俺は多魔川にバリヨツ採りに連れてかれました
  Ore wa ta makawa ni hari yotsu tori ni tsure tekare mashita
(?) I was picking someone to try and go see a demon river.
Bon: 任務やなくて雑務ばっかやな!
Nin mu ya nakute zatsunu bakka yana
(?) Duty without routine tasks only lead to stupidity.
Pannel 3:
Panda shirt: そんなまだエクスワイアなったばっかなんやさかいしゃーないですよ
Sonnamade ikusuwaia natta bakka nan ya sakai shaanai desuyo.
(?) Sort of, until I was taken to a boarder instead.
Other bubble; へつへつへ~
   Hetsu hetsu he~
deovier

Native language: English

Re: Manga conversation translation help

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.10.2010 7:19 pm

This is a notoriously lousy way to learn Japanese, especially if one jumps into it too early.

You're often mistaking は for the particle marker は (wa) when it should be は (ha).

You're splitting verb endings off into separate words and sometimes mixing the split part with what follows.

多摩川 is the name of a river, Tamagawa.

You're dealing with what is often very colloquial and at least one of the guys is speaking in Kansai-ben.

I had the same idea and tried the same thing in about 1988....and I got just about as far as you did before I was totally lost. I looked at the vast bulk of what I had left ahead of me to "translate" (hardly the word for it, actually), and decided that the wise thing to do would be not to abandon the task but to find something shorter. I went instead with the 4 panel comics (四コマ漫画: yonkoma manga).

The advantage of the 4 panel comics is that they are much shorter, for one thing. This works to your advantage in several ways:

1. The artist has less space to develop the premise and necessarily includes more visual cues in each panel, providing a bit of a Rosetta Stone aspect to things. Hey....every little bit helps.

2. Stories aren't long enough for you to get bogged down, thoroughly lost, or discouraged. It'll be over in 4 panels. If you're not getting one, say screw it and move to the next one. They don't build on each other so you won't lose the thread as you are apt to do in what you are trying.

3. Each 4 panel comic is both learning material and a self-contained test. If at the end you can laugh (or at least get why it is supposed to be funny)....you pass. Congratulations, move on to the next one.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.10.2010 7:40 pm

I just want to confirm that I too tried to translate manga when I knew nothing, and it's nothing but a lesson in frustration. Save it for later. A lot of language learning is putting stuff on the shelf to come back to later when you're ready for it.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.11.2010 12:05 am

I really have to agree with Mike and Infidel.
Looking at your translation, you're really not at a point where you can recognize the characters well enough (such as へつへつへつ it's へっへっへ, which is "heheh" ), and I feel are sometimes just grasping at meaning by what you FEEL should be right, instead of looking at the grammar in front of you:

Bon: 俺は山奥の現場まで 物資運ばされたわ
Ore wa yama oku no genba made busshi hakobasare tawa
I was taken to look at the moutain recesses supplies.

There's no work look in there. And you we're taken anywhere. It means that "I was made to carry the supplies back to the site deep in the mountains"

I would agree with Mike: go with smaller 4 panel comics and try to get what those are saying before you jump into something as long and complicated as a full young-adult manga.

Good luck!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.11.2010 12:29 am

Could you guys post some for us to check out?

http://comic.blogmura.com/comic_4koma/

I seem listed on that page... (based on a cursory Google search) would those be a good place to start? :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 01.11.2010 2:18 am

Series from the very prolific author Ueda Masashi would be my suggestion, although Hasagawa Machiko's classic Sazae-san series is also very good (but dated). Ueda's series such as Kariage-kun, Nonki-kun, Furiten-kun, and Kobo-chan are among my favorites. Other of my favorite authors in the 4 panel genre include Tanaka Sho and Taira Hisashi.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion