Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - It's here

It's here

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

It's here

Postby Yatta » Sun 01.10.2010 4:12 pm

Got mine in the mail yesterday afternoon (thanks clay :) ) Still a few more days of chaos to go before everything goes back to normal and I can start learning. Assuming that I'm not an idiot :ninja: what would be a normal pace to get through Genki 1? I know my hiragana at about 90%, katakana at about 30%, and know about 20 kanji.

I figure that with 4 or 5 months of study I'd qualify for Japanese pre-school :lol:
Wagahai wa neko de aru, namae wa mada nai.
Yatta

Native language: English

Re: It's here

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.10.2010 4:48 pm

hahaha... I really don't know. I'd say whatever pace you can maintain that doesn't make you get burnt out or lose interest. :) I've been CRAWLING through mine... I'm only on Chapter 9, and I've had the book for like a year now. :( It's really shameful on my part, but I'm just very poor at my study habits. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Mon 01.11.2010 11:04 am

Thanks Yatta!

It would be interesting to hear from others about how long it took them. I wonder how it is used in university courses. Maybe half of each book per semester?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Yatta » Mon 01.11.2010 4:03 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Until I actually get into the books, I'm just going to figure 2010 for Genki 1 and 2011 for Genki 2. It may go faster or slower but at least I have a tentative goal. Of course riding the giant ferris wheel in Kasai rinkai park in the Spring of 2012 with all the cherry blossoms out would make a great top off.

Well no one said that my goal had to be realistic 8)
Wagahai wa neko de aru, namae wa mada nai.
Yatta

Postby Mattias » Mon 02.15.2010 6:06 am

I've been studying very slow too with the Genki books, probably because I'm lazy.

Took me 1-2 years to reach lesson 12...

Well, Now I've made a new study plan, I do 1-2 grammar point(s) per day and 3-5 kanjis. And in this speed, I'll have finished both the books by mid march 2010. Currently I'm at Lesson 18 ^.^

1-2 grammar points per day and with the corresponding exercises works very well for me atleast ^.^
Mattias

Native language: Swedish; English

Postby Hurpadurp » Wed 02.24.2010 8:54 pm

Hey, I'm currently using the Genki textbook in class and we go at about 8 chapters every 3 months. It's a class that's roughly 40 minutes daily. I also credit alot of our learning ability to the teacher who is excellent at explanations and making sure everyone understands things thoroughly.

私のクラスは「げんき」を使って三か月は八課読みます。毎日クラスは四十分ぐらいです。いい先生がありますから。 (please correct any mistakes)
Hurpadurp

Return to Genki Textbook