Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji & 1 sentence help~

Kanji & 1 sentence help~

Do you have a translation question?

Kanji & 1 sentence help~

Postby queenofmuffins » Fri 01.15.2010 7:56 am

Hello! :)
I'm having trouble with two sentences from a manga chapter. I've already translated the rest of the chapter, but the first one has some kanji I don't recognize. I've tried wiking and googling the katakana written next to it, but I can't find any translation of it anywhere. -_-"

The sentence is:
俺は多摩川にバリヨシ採りに連れてかれました
(My guess is "I had to take a sample of "bariyoshi" to Tamagawa.)

The kanji next to バリヨシ, however, I don't recognise. Here's the page:
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/67010/4

Does anyone knows what this kanji means? ^^

The 2nd sentence is "俺はあいつらまでExwireに上がりよったのが納得いかんわ!"
I'm really bad with Kansai-ben so I'm not too sure what this means.

I tried breaking it down, but it still doesn't really make sense:
"俺は = I
あいつら = those guys
まで = until
Exwireに上がりよったのが = I have no idea O_O
納得いかんわ = don't agree/consent?

I appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you in advance!! :D
queenofmuffins

Native language: English

Re: Kanji & 1 sentence help~

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.15.2010 8:07 am

I knew I'd seen this EXACT PAGE already.

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... =8&t=14143

:(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.15.2010 9:06 am

I was getting ready to write a reply when I got a weird feeling of deja vu and lo and behold we had this very same question a few days ago.

Very uncool! :evil:

I'll tell you for free though, you're not going to find that kanji 'cause it's made-up (or possibly Chinese.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 01.15.2010 11:14 am

I was at the point of posting a scathing reply (in fact I did, and deleted it!) when I realized that these are probably different people and not just a duplicate account ._o

That's astounding coincidence. ._.

As for that kanji (IDS: ⿲石車車), I tried handwriting it on nciku.com and got nothing, so I guess it's made up. Though I suppose I could have got the stroke order wrong; I don't know how much Chinese stroke order differs.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.15.2010 6:55 pm

I checked the accounts and although they're created 5 days apart and both asking the same questions about the same page, they appear to be from rather different parts of the world. If I'd have seen a duplicate IP, I'd have banned them both in a heartbeat.

:hammer:

I suppose my question now is how we got to this point... for instance is there a discussion on the mangahelpers forum about trying to translate that page and multiple people had the idea to come ask here or something?

Curiouser and curiouser... ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.15.2010 8:57 pm

Hyperworm wrote:I was at the point of posting a scathing reply (in fact I did, and deleted it!) when I realized that these are probably different people and not just a duplicate account ._o

That's astounding coincidence. ._.

As for that kanji (IDS: ⿲石車車), I tried handwriting it on nciku.com and got nothing, so I guess it's made up. Though I suppose I could have got the stroke order wrong; I don't know how much Chinese stroke order differs.

I can't even find it in my Hanyu Da Zitian (漢語大字典) -- and if I can't find it there, it's pretty likely to have been made up. THis is the page it should be on:

AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.15.2010 9:26 pm

phreadom wrote:I checked the accounts and although they're created 5 days apart and both asking the same questions about the same page, they appear to be from rather different parts of the world. If I'd have seen a duplicate IP, I'd have banned them both in a heartbeat.

:hammer:

I suppose my question now is how we got to this point... for instance is there a discussion on the mangahelpers forum about trying to translate that page and multiple people had the idea to come ask here or something?

Curiouser and curiouser... ;)

Wow! I was totally thinking it was a brazen case of duplicate accounts, but I guess not. In which case....

上がりよった just means 上がった but with a negative feeling to it that would most likely be expressed with an expletive in English. "I can't believe even those guys f'in became exwires!"
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby shin1ro » Sat 01.16.2010 2:07 pm

The manga seems the toughest to translate.. :sweatdrop:

(I guess) Even Japanese don't understand what エクスワイア and バリヨシ means and what 石車車 石 means. In addition, what 蝦暮 リーバー means (I can't see P or B sound by the scan). I know 多魔川 is a pun of 多摩川 (a river runs along the border of Tokyo and Kawasaki cities).

Anyway it seems a story of a school for magicians - exwire(what's this??).
I guess the author just wanted to add mysterious magicians' atmosphere.
So the author created new words relating magic.
Even all the readers don't understand these words, the author expected they can guess vaguely what they may mean by kanji and the context....and that's all fine to the author.
Or they may appear (or the author try to explain) in the future what they really are in the story.

For example, エクスワイア is equal to 候補生(こうほせい cadet) by フリガナ.
石車車 石 採り(とり) may be like diging rocks and stones by kanji radicals.
蝦暮 might be an animal or an imaginary creature kept in a cage.
And these are not important in the story (at least at this moment) by its context.

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby queenofmuffins » Sun 01.17.2010 6:35 am

Thanks for the help, everyone! :colonthree:

I found the thread you guys were talking about so I can understand your confusion now. :P

I translate this series (Ao No Exorcist) on Mangahelpers but since I picked it up 2 chapters behind, I also find it very difficult to translate, and I'm a litte busy with other series I'm not that fast at releasing each chapter. ^^;
My guess is someone got a little impatient waiting for my translation so decided to try it themselves! :wink:

I've decided to leave the first one as just "a sample of Bariyoshi" since I still have no idea what that referrs to. It's probably as Shin1ro suggested- a made-up word to suit the "magical" atmosphere.

And thanks to becki_kanou for translating that sentence!! It helps a lot! :mrgreen:
queenofmuffins

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.17.2010 9:06 am

Another point. Since "small" kana aren't usually shown in furigana, it is just as likely that the word is intended to be バリョシ as バリヨシ. In fact, I rather think it is intended to be, as there is little pronounced (as in pronunciation) difference between バリヨシ and バリオシ, and there's little likelihood that a made-up word would be represented with a less orthographically feasible "spelling."
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 01.17.2010 9:39 am

In novels yes, but I think in manga the distinction between よ and ょ is kept quite frequently*. っ (small つ) in furigana is visible on that page in 物資(ぶっし).

*i.e. it's kept in the ones I've read >_>;;
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion