Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese webpage limiter

Japanese webpage limiter

Do you have a translation question?

Japanese webpage limiter

Postby Infidel » Fri 01.15.2010 9:19 pm

This is just some random question I know, but when I saw Tony say that he uses は to limit his web search to Japanese pages, I wondered what other favorite chars people might use. Personally, I use の. Back in the day, before I even knew the word arigatou I had figured out on my own to use の to tell if a book or other piece of writing I found in Chinatown was really Chinese or not.

So what other kana do people use to limit their searches to Japanese pages?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Japanese webpage limiter

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.15.2010 9:36 pm

Google.jp has a search option that allows you to limit your searches to Japanese only so I usually use that when it would make a difference. (You can chose either ウェブ全体から検索 or 日本語のページを検索 with each search.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby pm215 » Sat 01.16.2010 8:07 am

I use の too -- I think I picked that trick up ages ago from a usenet posting by Jim Breen...
pm215

Native language: (British) English

Postby keatonatron » Sat 01.16.2010 10:10 am

becki_kanou wrote:Google.jp has a search option that allows you to limit your searches to Japanese only so I usually use that when it would make a difference. (You can chose either ウェブ全体から検索 or 日本語のページを検索 with each search.)

It really frustrates me that it doesn't also include the option to only search English :x

Helpful documentation on how to use western-made software (adobe products, etc.) is usually only available in English. Search in Japanese, and you just get pages upon pages of people mentioning the software in their personal blogs :roll:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.16.2010 12:17 pm

keatonatron wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Google.jp has a search option that allows you to limit your searches to Japanese only so I usually use that when it would make a difference. (You can chose either ウェブ全体から検索 or 日本語のページを検索 with each search.)

It really frustrates me that it doesn't also include the option to only search English :x

Helpful documentation on how to use western-made software (adobe products, etc.) is usually only available in English. Search in Japanese, and you just get pages upon pages of people mentioning the software in their personal blogs :roll:

Are you sure about that? When I go to Google.com, then Settings → Search Settings, I see the option to set Search Language -> "Prefer pages written in these language(s):", which includes English as an option. :colonthree:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.16.2010 3:22 pm

It figures that there is an option somewhere. But I wonder if this limits to expressly japanese pages. I.e, pages with japanese meta tags. So maybe using that option would omit normal Japanese pages, or pages in Japanese that lack the meta tag.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby jimbreen » Sat 01.16.2010 8:40 pm

Infidel wrote: But I wonder if this limits to expressly japanese pages. I.e, pages with japanese meta tags. So maybe using that option would omit normal Japanese pages, or pages in Japanese that lack the meta tag.

No, it limits you to pages that Google has classified as containing Japanese text. Google ignores the meta tags and does its own language classification (language detection and classification is an interesting research field.)

BTW, that limiter is not confined to google.jp - it is available globally. I use a pair of toolbar applets for Google searches. One is for Japanese-only, and the URL parameter to get this is " lr=lang_ja".
Apart from that it is the regular Google interface in English.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.17.2010 7:30 am

phreadom wrote:Are you sure about that? When I go to Google.com, then Settings → Search Settings, I see the option to set Search Language -> "Prefer pages written in these language(s):", which includes English as an option. :colonthree:

Hmmm, I've seen the option in the search options page that lets you choose to only search in English, but choosing that setting every time you want to limit your searches to English is a big hassle. Maybe I'll try simply "preferring" English like you suggested and see how it works. I had seen that option before, but thought it would show me only English pages, even when I wanted to search for Japanese.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.17.2010 9:59 pm

jimbreen wrote:
Infidel wrote: But I wonder if this limits to expressly japanese pages. I.e, pages with japanese meta tags. So maybe using that option would omit normal Japanese pages, or pages in Japanese that lack the meta tag.

No, it limits you to pages that Google has classified as containing Japanese text. Google ignores the meta tags and does its own language classification (language detection and classification is an interesting research field.)

BTW, that limiter is not confined to google.jp - it is available globally. I use a pair of toolbar applets for Google searches. One is for Japanese-only, and the URL parameter to get this is " lr=lang_ja".
Apart from that it is the regular Google interface in English.

Jim

Ahh, thanks Jim. Useful info as always.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion