Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki or Minna No Nihongo?

Genki or Minna No Nihongo?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Genki or Minna No Nihongo?

Postby nenn » Mon 01.18.2010 8:05 pm

I currently have "Japanese for Busy People" which I very much enjoy using, but it doesnt go outside the kana realm and just teaches you to use things (verbs and such) and not really so much as to why.

I have access to both and rather than jump into one finding out the other is better I'd like everyones opinion on the matter! I know a bit of Japanese and I dont seem to have a problem learning the basic kanji (stroke order is where the test will be!). I'd like to take JLPT 3 this coming December, but If I only feel comfortable taking 4, then that'll be that.

Suggestions, comments, critiques?!
nenn

Native language: English

Re: Genki or Minna No Nihongo?

Postby chikara » Mon 01.18.2010 8:20 pm

nenn wrote:I currently have "Japanese for Busy People" which I very much enjoy using, but it doesnt go outside the kana realm and just teaches you to use things (verbs and such) and not really so much as to why. .....

Having studied with Japanese for Busy People 1 - 3 I find that statement quite puzzling.

Sorry, I have never used Genki or Minna No Nihongo so I can't help you there.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby nenn » Mon 01.18.2010 8:39 pm

well im about 60 or so pages into JFBP and although im enjoying the teaching style, it doesnt seem well suited for someone who (currently, at the time it was damn helpful since i had three weeks before i went to Japan) wants to understand the core of how a language works. It was great when I needed to know how to formulate simple sentences to get what i needed across, but now I feel im going to need something more in depth.

I hope I phrased that better!
nenn

Postby chikara » Mon 01.18.2010 8:45 pm

nenn wrote:well im about 60 or so pages into JFBP ...

60 pages into 200+ page JFBP book 1?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby nenn » Mon 01.18.2010 8:49 pm

chikara wrote:
nenn wrote:well im about 60 or so pages into JFBP ...

60 pages into 200+ page JFBP book 1?

yeap, then life took over again and I had to put it down. I looked at it yesterday and I dont remember most of the vocab, so its annoying to read all the kana i wrote in it and have to look up everything and go back about 4 chapters worth. :(

im possibly farther, when i looked i was like wow i got farther than i thought!
nenn

Postby chikara » Mon 01.18.2010 9:32 pm

OK, you have read about a third of the first book in a three book series and you don't think it goes far enough. Maybe you just need to skip ahead if you are finding the early chapters too basic for your level of knowledge.

I'm not saying that the JFBP series are the best books as I haven't used either Genki or Minna No Nihongo so I can't compare but I would assume that all these start out fairly basic and then build on the basics as you get further into the books. The idea is to give the student some basic grammar and sentence structures with out getting them bogged down in verb conjugations and complex grammatical structures first up.
chikara

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.18.2010 11:44 pm

I haven't looked at Japanese for Busy People, but I do have Genki 1 and Japanese for Everyone (which is different from Minna no Nihongo, something I got confused about early on). :)

I really like Genki so far.. I'm on chapter 9 currently. I also like Japanese for Everyone, but I've only begun the first chapter, so I can't really compare it to Genki yet... but a friend tells me that JFE is more compact and stuffs more information into the one book... covering about the same amount of material as Genki does in 2 books by really packing it in and leaving a little more of the work up to the student and doing a little less hand holding.

I think there are some articles on the wiki and other threads here on the forum that cover these books in more detail. Maybe after I wake up a little more and drink my coffee I might go digging and post some helpful links. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.19.2010 12:05 am

Generally, many short lessons are better than a few long and dense lessons. Maybe the pace just seems too slow because you're still in the very basics stage? Really, you WANT the lessons to sink in quickly and easily. If you have to struggle, then maybe it's because the format doesn't fit your learning style closely enough.

If you really want Density and fast paced, then Japanese for Everyone (Not Minna no Nihongo) might fit your style better. OTOH, Minna no Nihongo and Genki are both somewhere in between JfE and JfBP. So if JfE is too dense and fast paced, then Genki and MnN might be just right.

60 pages isn't so deep that I'd seriously suggest you stick with your current book series. If you want to change, then you should make the decision in the first 3-5 chapters I think. Once you get to chapter 10 or so, it seems best to stick with whatever you're using.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Tue 01.19.2010 12:29 am

hehe... thanks Infidel. :) I believe the content I was going to look for was written by you anyway. ;)

That basically saves me the trouble. :colonthree:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Princesskana » Tue 02.02.2010 8:02 pm

Well.... I have the genki book series, and I like it. They give good examples in the text, but I am still a super beginner, I am on Chapter three! (I know...) :sweatdrop: Its a little pitiful, but its somewhere.... I don't have much time to learn unfortunately, but I can normally pick back up from where I was. The lessons are shortish I guess and there are enough exercises that you can understand them. Also, I use smart.fm with the series to learn the vocab.
Princesskana

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips