Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jumping from 4 kyuu to 2 kyuu

Jumping from 4 kyuu to 2 kyuu

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Jumping from 4 kyuu to 2 kyuu

Postby cybermat » Mon 12.05.2005 10:16 pm

I just finished the level 4 exam and I think I should be able to pass it. I am thinking about skipping the level 3 exam and go directly to level 2 since the level 2 certificate is my goal and I don't want to waste another year. Does anyone have experience doing this jump? How long did it take you to pass to level 2?

I know this has probably been covered, but I don't know how to use the search feature. For those who have completed level 2, what is your set of arsenals? textbook? tapes? books?

Thanks
cybermat

RE: Jumping from 4 kyuu to 2 kyuu

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 12.07.2005 8:17 pm

Not to discourage you, but jumping from 4kyuu to 2kyuu is quite a jump. Even 3kyuu to 2kyuu is difficult. I failed 2kyuu once, and passed it the following year (barely).

If you don't have access to Japanese language in your everyday life, I recommend getting listening tapes. Get grammar books and start learning to read real books (or the comprehension section will kill you).

I really like the 完全マスター series of books. That's what my friends and I used this year, and I think we were fairly well prepared.

For 2kyuu, we started studying in June, and cranked up to nightly 5-6 hour study sessions for the last month before the test.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Sachi » Wed 12.07.2005 8:54 pm

Wow, really? That much, Harisenbon? o_0 I try to study at least a little a day, do some workbook pages, take notes, make flashcards, ect. I've never taken any level of the JLPT, but I may go straight to 3 kyuu after I study enough.
Sachi

Postby cybermat » Thu 12.08.2005 9:36 pm

Oh thanks for the advice Harisenbon, I know it's a big jump and even my sensei tell me that. I guess my strategy is I will take it next year and if I fail it, I will retake it the following year. By spending two years, I have a better chance to pass it. Can you give me the full name of the series? Which particular book in the series that you recommend? Are these books only available in Japan?

Thanks for your help
cybermat

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.08.2005 11:25 pm

The series name is just 完全マスター and they have books for each of the sections (語彙・文法・漢字・読解・聴解) They run about 1500 yen apiece. I don't know if you can buy them abroad, but many stores such as kinokuniya and maruzen (and amazon.co.jp) do ship abroad. You might also want to check out the Japanesepage shop. I believe I saw them for sale at some point.

Good luck!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test