Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Verbs

Verbs

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Verbs

Postby LearningCode » Wed 01.20.2010 11:54 am

Hello, guys, I recently got interested in learning Japanese myself. My parents do not want to sign me up for classes and i do not have the cashflow to sign myself up for lessons.

I took about a week and have learned all the words and phrases from a page over at this website..
I can't find it now, but I got it all on paper.

I can also read Hiragana and Katakana, but not Kanji yet =/
(But the Kanji thing is not my worry now =x)

One thing I realized is that I find it hard to express myself because I don't know many verbs.
I tried to learn verbs and their many inflections (Or w/e they're called, hmm..) but I came up to a brick wall. There are so many lessons.

I don't want to complain, but I'd like to know if anyone here knows which inflections are the most commonly used, like, maybe a Top 20 inflections list.
LearningCode

Native language: Eigo, English

Re: Verbs

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 01.20.2010 9:07 pm

Would your parents be willing to get you a textbook? That's really the best way to study on your own. Asking us to explain the usage of the "top 20 inflections" in Japanese is a lot of work, and it's re-inventing the wheel since there are a lot of good textbooks out there.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Wed 01.20.2010 9:41 pm

LearningCode wrote:.... I don't want to complain, but I'd like to know if anyone here knows which inflections are the most commonly used, like, maybe a Top 20 inflections list.

You may find Tim Matheson's Japanese Verbs a useful online resource for learning verb conjugations.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 01.20.2010 11:20 pm

Get a card at your local library and stock up. Renew and re-request. You'll not only have a great variety of texts and other media to draw from, but you can compare them for possible purchase.

Go to Tae Kim's site. He's not only got great conjugation tables, there is also one at which you can enter any verb to get a full conjugation.

As far as inflections, I may be wrong as a beginner myself, but I think it's not what's common or preferred, but the situation and your audience/participant that is most important. If it's written, for private or to be published, talking to your little sister or your boss, or a visitor, on the phone, or if you are a tourist, male or female, insider or outsider dictate the forms and styles you would adopt, so you would want to know all of them to adapt to the situation.

Don't run from the kanji. Embrace it like you're wrestling an alligator. You'll need it to read real Japanese, and get a feel for all the forms and idioms in it.

And keep pressing forward. Japanese are fluent in Japanese because, well, they're Japanese. They've been using it all their lives. Any language is a collection of all the experiences and concepts of a culture, and that will be huge.

Gambatte!
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby Ben Bullock » Thu 01.21.2010 1:17 am

LearningCode wrote:Hello, guys, I recently got interested in learning Japanese myself. My parents do not want to sI don't want to complain, but I'd like to know if anyone here knows which inflections are the most commonly used, like, maybe a Top 20 inflections list.

I don't have a top twenty, but probably the top ten is something like this:

1. plain form (iku, iru, yomu)
  2. negative form (ikanai, inai, yomanai)
  3. past form (itta, ita, yonda)
  4. past negative form (ikanakatta, inakatta, yomanakatta)
  5. masu form (ikimasu, imasu, yomimasu)
  6. negative masu form (ikimasen, imasen, yomimasen)
  7. past masu form (ikimashita, imashita, yomimashita)
  8. past negative masu form (ikimasen deshita, etc.)
  9. te-form (itte, ite, yonde)
  10. volitional form (ikou, yomou)
Ben Bullock

Postby keatonatron » Thu 01.21.2010 4:55 am

Like what Hektor said, I highly recommend Tae Kim's site. It was my main resource of self-study for the first couple of months. You can find it here:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

Just read each section in order, reviewing as you go along to make sure you don't forget anything.
keatonatron

Postby LearningCode » Sat 01.23.2010 11:33 am

Sorry for not replying back, I don't have a computer at the moment because my PC's gone.
I over-heated it with my incessant gaming. hmm..

Thanks for all the advice, I'll jot them down and come back if I have any problems =x
LearningCode

Native language: Eigo, English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems