Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I saw a wild koala!

I saw a wild koala!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

I saw a wild koala!

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 01.21.2010 6:02 am

Yesterday when driving through the suburbs of Adelaide, my kids and I spotted a koala in a tree by the side of the road. It was not very high up in the tree, maybe 1.5 metres (4.5 feet). We stopped and took some photos, it came down out of the tree and we patted it and tried to prevent it from walking onto the road.

I've put some more photos at my gallery here:
http://thejapanesepage.com/gallery?g2_itemId=55421
Attachments
0120101259-01.jpg
0120101259-01.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 01.21.2010 9:29 am

Awesome! When I first saw the pics I didn't realize it was a wild koala. I thought you had gone to a koala park or something. That's really exciting. :shock:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby clay » Thu 01.21.2010 9:41 am

Very neat. As a child the koala was my favorite animal in the world. :)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
User avatar
clay
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri 01.21.2005 9:39 am
Location: Florida

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby chikara » Thu 01.21.2010 6:24 pm

tokai devotee wrote:Yesterday when driving through the suburbs of Adelaide, my kids and I spotted a koala in a tree by the side of the road.....

What suburb was it in? I used to see a few along Glen Osmond Road when I had an office up that way.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 01.21.2010 7:22 pm

chikara wrote:
What suburb was it in? I used to see a few along Glen Osmond Road when I had an office up that way.


It was in Hawthorndene, just near the roundabout on Watahuna Ave, near the Apex Park. Do you know it? I reckon the little guy had probably lost his way to Belair National Park! I've seen quite a few koalas in the area lately, also in neighbouring subrbs too, all the way from Greenhill Road to Black Road. There seem to be more than ever. I can't remember seeing so many wild koalas in my life before. Perhaps it's because of the drought. They are coming further south in search of food and water.

becki_kanou wrote:Awesome! When I first saw the pics I didn't realize it was a wild koala. I thought you had gone to a koala park or something. That's really exciting. :shock:


Yes, it was wild. I tried to post that on FB, but for some reason it didn't take my comment :?
It was certainly acting like a tame koala. It didn't seem to mind kids surrounding it and patting it. It was a very placid creature ~ for a wild animal! But I had to stop the kids from getting too close, and reminded them a few times that it WAS wild. They can be dangerous. They can scratch and bite. Have a look at the claws!! Very long and dangerous.
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby chikara » Thu 01.21.2010 7:38 pm

tokai devotee wrote:It was in Hawthorndene, just near the roundabout on Watahuna Ave, near the Apex Park. Do you know it? ...

Only in very general terms. I'm not very familar with that part of town (Adelaide Hills).

tokai devotee wrote:... I've seen quite a few koalas in the area lately, also in neighbouring subrbs too, all the way from Greenhill Road to Black Road. There seem to be more than ever. I can't remember seeing so many wild koalas in my life before. Perhaps it's because of the drought. They are coming further south in search of food and water. ..

I think you're right. Last summer there were quite a few along Glen Osmond Road as far down as the Arkaba. There was even one sitting next to a fountain at the entrance to an office building just up from my old office.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: I saw a wild koala!

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.26.2010 2:51 pm

I had always heard that, while a koala looks all cuddly, that you wouldn't want to pet them as they are rather aggressive, looks like this one bucks that sentiment.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English


Return to General off topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests