Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Penultimate Japanese IME Guide... well, almost. :)

The Penultimate Japanese IME Guide... well, almost. :)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: The Penultimate Japanese IME Guide... well, almost. :)

Postby DavidPatrick » Sat 01.16.2010 6:35 pm

I was switching between Japanese and English using Shitf + Caps Lock, which was working fine till suddenly I hit the wrong key and it started defaulting to "Full Width Alphanumeric" instead of half width. Does anyone know if there's a way to switch it back so it always reverts to half width alpha numeric after Hiragana input?
DavidPatrick

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.18.2010 12:59 am

Some of the friendly folks in the TJP Chat offered these suggestions...

(11:48:23 PM) LordOfTheFlies: If it's Windows XP it's in the language bar
(11:48:40 PM) アルくん: When this happens to me, I just click the あ or A in the language bar and put it back to Half-width Alphanumeric.
(11:48:42 PM) LordOfTheFlies: Click the Input Option menu and choose half-width alphanumeric

Hopefully this might help? Maybe someone else might have a better suggestion. :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby DavidPatrick » Thu 01.21.2010 5:30 pm

That's what I have to do, which takes a lot longer. I've had to set the default back to English for using the computer normally as full width alphanumeric is feck all good for the internet. It looks like there's no way to set it to default automatially. Thanks for the help.
DavidPatrick

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 01.21.2010 7:43 pm

I use Alt+` (left of 1 for me), which seems to switch back and forth between halfwidth and the previously selected mode (Hiragana, Katakana, ...).
Except I need British keyboard layout, so I never type English with the IME in JP-mode (instead I Alt-Shift between that and EN). I only use Alt+` for moving from JP-alphanumeric to JP-Hiragana. Wish I didn't have to touch Alt+` at all; I have the Japanese IME set to start in Hiragana mode but it starts in alphanumeric anyway. o.0
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby DavidPatrick » Fri 01.22.2010 11:33 am

Thank you Hyperworm. That's almost perfect. I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time. Tonight you're going in my gratitude journal!
DavidPatrick

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips