Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can someone help me identify this font?

Can someone help me identify this font?

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Can someone help me identify this font?

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.24.2010 11:55 am

Short of trying to get ahold of the authors, does anyone here recognize this font? :think:

It seems to be used for all the kana stroke order examples etc... but I don't seem to have it on my system. :(

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... d_pictures

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... W_pictures

(And I found a couple that looked very close to me... one from Epson, and the Kyokashotai font from MS, but the Epson font isn't a standard font, so you really can't use it for anything... and the Kyokashotai font is clearly slightly different although close.) :sweatdrop:

Thanks in advance!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Can someone help me identify this font?

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 01.24.2010 8:17 pm

I don't know the font, but I *believe* those images are from the open-source kanji stroke order project, which makes me think that they're probably using an open-source Japanese font (of which I think there are 2? ;)

Edit.. Apparently, there are a lot more than two.
If I have some time later today I'll go through my fonts and see if I can find one that matches.. That hard line on the あ and め are pretty distinctive, I think..
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Re: Can someone help me identify this font?

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.25.2010 3:28 am

Harisenbon wrote:I don't know the font, but I *believe* those images are from the open-source kanji stroke order project, which makes me think that they're probably using an open-source Japanese font (of which I think there are 2? ;)

Edit.. Apparently, there are a lot more than two.
If I have some time later today I'll go through my fonts and see if I can find one that matches.. That hard line on the あ and め are pretty distinctive, I think..

Thanks. :)

I might have another go through my collection, but I didn't see it the first time... and it's not fun scrolling through that many fonts. ;) I set my font viewer just to look at the ク kana, blew the size up to like 72pt, and scrolled through. That kana is a bit distinctive as well in that it doesn't really extend vertically on the left up past the horizontal part of the second stroke.

I looked around on-line as well but didn't have much luck. I figure if at least 3 different people are using it for doing stroke order stuff on Wikipedia that it must at least be fairly common... possibly a popular commercial font, thus explaining its absence from my collection.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Computers & Technology