Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Babelfish and other translaters

Babelfish and other translaters

Do you have a translation question?

Babelfish and other translaters

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 01.27.2010 4:39 pm

I've noticed that babel fish translates things unnaturally and literally instead of what you intended to mean most of the time. Here is a babel-fish translated text. I would like to know if the text it out putted is correct in japanese. :

Original:

"Kanji and Kana: Revised Edition" is a comprehensive guide to reading and writing the japanese language, providing all the necessary information needed to master the basic characters
(漢字)  and the two syllabary (仮名).

Translation:

「Kanji and Kana: Revised Edition」読書および執筆への広範囲ガイドは基本的な特性を習得するのに必要とされるすべての必要な情報を提供する日本語ある (漢字)および2字音表(仮名)。  

I'm nowhere near the level to evaluate it on my own.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Babelfish and other translaters

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.27.2010 8:36 pm

Here's a good thread about the wonders of babelfish:

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13740&p=157947

oh, and the translated text makes little to no sense.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 01.28.2010 12:37 am

Babelfish et al should really only be used to translate something into your native language so you can try to piece together the meaning. You should NEVER use it to translate something into a language that you are not familiar with, as it will ultimately take a large amount of effort to understand exactly what it's trying to say (and make you look quite incapable for presenting such text).
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Thu 01.28.2010 12:45 am

kentaku_sama wrote:I've noticed that babel fish translates things unnaturally and literally instead of what you intended to mean most of the time. Here is a babel-fish translated text. I would like to know if the text it out putted is correct in japanese. ...

I took the above quoted portion of your post and did a round trip translation English-Japanese-English resulting in this;

I' As for ve when it is the majority, in order to mean in place of those which are intended babelfish thing unnatural and became aware in translating literally. As for the text which is translated by the Babel fish there is here. As for me that the pad doing the fact that if the text is correct with Japanese, you know whether or not is desired.

As you can see it is really, really close and shows just how good BabelFish is. :roll:

kentaku_sama wrote:... I'm nowhere near the level to evaluate it on my own.

A good enough reason not to use it.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.28.2010 7:17 am

On a side note, I personally use http://www.excite.co.jp/world/ for translating things that are a bit out of my league. It seems to have much better translations than babelfish or google translate etc.

I do also use it sometimes for quick translations into Japanese for very simple things just to see which particle it might use etc... but the others are right... you shouldn't ever rely on a machine translator for translating into a foreign language for you, only from a foreign language to your own to help you a little in trying to figure out what something well above your learning level says. :colonthree:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 01.30.2010 1:08 am

Ok, arigatou.
kentaku_sama

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.02.2010 6:59 am

My favorite incident with a site such as Babelfish was when I put in "It's a hardball world" and translated it into Spanish. It came back with Spanish for, "It's a world of baseball."
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Miaow » Tue 02.02.2010 12:02 pm

furrykef wrote:My favorite incident with a site such as Babelfish was when I put in "It's a hardball world" and translated it into Spanish. It came back with Spanish for, "It's a world of baseball."

haha, that's awesome!
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion