Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Spicy food and being tall

Spicy food and being tall

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Spicy food and being tall

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.26.2010 11:34 pm

Yea, that's why I can't stand anything called "Hot Sauce" they all just taste like vinegar that burns. So tobasco and taco hot sauce have always tasted totally lame to me. Then there are those super hot sauces, that also taste like vinegar that burns.

Lately though, Tabasco has started selling a Chipotle hot sauce, and it is just full of flavor. It's not all that hot in my opinion, but it goes well with just about anything that people would slather hot sauce on.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.27.2010 11:38 am

I love Tabasco, but I don't use it as a 'hot sauce' but rather I use it as a substitute for black pepper in dishes that need a bit of a kick. with the vinegar base, it's awesome for marinades. And as you mention, over the last 5-10 years, Tabasco has come out with green Tabasco, Chipotle, Habanero, garlic and sweet and spicy sauces.

The thing is, Tabasco never claimed to be about heat, that's something 'we' did for them..

"From the beginning (1868, to be exact), we knew TABASCO® was more than heat. Because unlike other sauces that mask the flavor of food, TABASCO® Original Red blends with every bite – allowing our aged red peppers to amplify each flavor so you taste more of your favorite foods.

Shake a little or splash a lot on pizza, eggs – even in salad dressing. And see how TABASCO® really is so much more than hot."

it's a pepper sauce, with a slight kick. Hot? not in my opinion, although I do know many that would say it is hot.. It's perfect on a Denver Omelete (or garbage omelete if you want to call it by the local verbage)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 01.28.2010 2:22 pm

phreadom wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:just ask em to throw some of this on there....
it'll fix u right up :)

haha.... I was watching a series of videos a few months back of people's reactions to eating one of these. :P

(I can't find the link again now...) :(

some of those videos are probably based on the 4 horsemen burger challenge; which has been featured on the Food Network tv show "Man vs Food". The 4 horseman burger has a lot of these Jolokia peppers and some crazy habanero sauce, clocking it in at over 1 million scovilles.

well the restaurant that serves this dreaded burger is just down the road from me.
next friday everyone from work is going over there to see who can eat the largest amount of the burger (nobody so far assumes they can down more than half).

i'll post back with the results
Pork Chop

Postby chikara » Thu 01.28.2010 7:25 pm

Pork Chop wrote:.... The 4 horseman burger has a lot of these Jolokia peppers and some crazy habanero sauce, clocking it in at over 1 million scovilles.

well the restaurant that serves this dreaded burger is just down the road from me. .....

There is a pub here serving a Mega Death Burger which gets its heat from Blair's Mega Death Sauce which is made from Red Habanero Pods and Cayenne Chilies but no Jolokia Chilies.

I haven't tried the Mega Death Sauce but I use Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity to spice up certain dishes.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.30.2010 7:19 pm

Okies, Tomarrow I'm going to a new Indian place I never heard of. So is there any dishes in particular that are spicy hot and have good flavor? Also, what's a good side dish. Once I went to an indian restaurant and didn't have a clue what anything was. So I asked the waitor what he thought was good, and he named off a few dishes, so I got those. They all ended up being meat entrees. So I had all this meat and no veggies. Not even rice. So I wasn't enthusiastic about the food.

So not only what spicy entree is there, but what is the best starchy food to eat on the side if the heat gets too powerful, and maybe other veggies that are good for me? Thanks
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 02.01.2010 3:13 pm

chikara wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:.... The 4 horseman burger has a lot of these Jolokia peppers and some crazy habanero sauce, clocking it in at over 1 million scovilles.

well the restaurant that serves this dreaded burger is just down the road from me. .....

There is a pub here serving a Mega Death Burger which gets its heat from Blair's Mega Death Sauce which is made from Red Habanero Pods and Cayenne Chilies but no Jolokia Chilies.

I haven't tried the Mega Death Sauce but I use Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity to spice up certain dishes.

i've had Dave's Insanity Sauce as well as Kick Yo A$$ and A$$ in He||
But to put that in perspective:
Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity Sauce = 119,700 scovilles
Dave's Insanity Sauce = 180,000 scovilles
Mega Death Sauce = 550,000 scovilles
the A$$ sauces are hard to find concrete numbers for, but they're supposed to be up there as well.
This burger's like double Mega Death Sauce.
Pork Chop

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 02.01.2010 3:19 pm

Infidel wrote:Okies, Tomarrow I'm going to a new Indian place I never heard of. So is there any dishes in particular that are spicy hot and have good flavor? Also, what's a good side dish. Once I went to an indian restaurant and didn't have a clue what anything was. So I asked the waitor what he thought was good, and he named off a few dishes, so I got those. They all ended up being meat entrees. So I had all this meat and no veggies. Not even rice. So I wasn't enthusiastic about the food.

So not only what spicy entree is there, but what is the best starchy food to eat on the side if the heat gets too powerful, and maybe other veggies that are good for me? Thanks

I like Saag paneer but it's not that spicy; Palak Paneer is pretty good too.

Curry's probably what I'd go with for spiciness.
This article gives a nice little overview of the different types of curry and to know which ones are packing the spice.
Last edited by Pork Chop on Tue 02.02.2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.01.2010 4:51 pm

in general, the blacker the curry (indian curry that is) the hotter it is.. thai curries are a seperate monster altogether.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Mon 02.01.2010 6:26 pm

Pork Chop wrote:..... This burger's like double Mega Death Sauce.

:shock: :sweatdrop:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 02.08.2010 6:56 pm

so i ate 1/4 of that burger today.
i'm shaking my head and asking myself "what's wrong with me".
i've never felt pain like that before
this is not "oh it's spicy, it's burning my mouth!" pain
this is "o crap, i just put a six inch hole in my stomach & my guts are dissolving, goodbye cruel world!" kinda pain
as if eating the burger wasn't bad/spicy/painful enough
puking my guts out a couple times afterward was worse: burned out my nasal cavities & my airway started to close
breathing became an issue

i need to learn that sometimes it's okay just to take someone's word for something...

EDIT:
so the fallout was even worse than I initially reported
in the end, i ended up with a bunch of burst blood vessels in my face (2 days later it still looks like I was in a fight) and first degree burns all up and down my esophagus - my voice is still cracking.
Pork Chop

Postby Infidel » Wed 02.10.2010 3:01 pm

sounds like you had an allergic reaction to something in the food. That is not a normal response to even ridiculously spicy food.

If you ever eat something and start having breathing issues, call an ambulance or go immediately to the hospital if someone else is doing the driving. Now you need to get yourself checked to find out what you reacted to, because next time if you come in contact with that stuff again you'll react even worse and faster. I'm dead serious about this, people die from severe food allergies all the time. My friend borrowed some asprin and had a reaction to the filler used, his face and throat started swelling and he went to the hospital. They told him that if he got there even 2 minutes later he would have died.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 02.10.2010 5:38 pm

Well, given that the pepper involved is a mild form of pepper spray, i'm not sure it's that uncommon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray
Pepper spray is an inflammatory. It causes immediate closing of the eyes, difficulty breathing, runny nose, and coughing [2]. The duration of its effects depend on the strength of the spray but the average full effect lasts around thirty to forty-five minutes, with diminished effects lasting for hours.

"The effects of pepper spray are far more severe, including temporary blindness which last from 15-30 minutes, a burning sensation of the skin which last from 45 to 60 minutes, upper body spasms which force a person to bend forward and uncontrollable coughing making it difficult to breathe or speak for between 3 to 15 minutes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
Thus, capsaicin does not actually cause a chemical burn, or indeed any direct tissue damage at all. The inflammation caused by the burn or physical abrasion that the body believes it has undergone can potentially cause tissue damage in cases of extreme exposure, as is the case for many substances that trick the body into inflaming itself.
Pork Chop

Postby Infidel » Wed 02.10.2010 6:41 pm

Pork Chop wrote:Well, given that the pepper involved is a mild form of pepper spray, i'm not sure it's that uncommon.
[/quote]

The point is, it was not pepper spray. And you should not expect the same result from a mild form of something, or a worse reaction, than from the concentrated form. If you have a strong averse reaction to a "mild form" then that usually means you have an allergy.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 02.10.2010 10:05 pm

we're talking 1 million plus scovilles here (i've heard the burger has it's own rating at 1.2 mill)
pepper spray's 5 million
that's not a whole heck of a lot of dilution going on
EDIT: there's also a HUGE difference in that pepper spray is external use & this pepper is taken internally

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_pepper
In northeastern India, the peppers are smeared on fences or incorporated in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance.[18][19] In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the chillies in hand grenades, as a less lethal way to control rioters.[20]

anything over 100,000 (ie. an entire degree of magnitude) is considered "exceptionally hot".
skin irritation from handling even the weaker chillis is normal, so gloves are worn.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/
For now, at least, transport issues and a tangle of government regulations mean most exports are of dried bhut jolokias and chili paste. But, Saikia added, the paste can be used for everything from hot sauces to tear gas.

this is not far fetched
this is not hypersensitivity
i've been eating spicy food my whole life
you can't imagine the level of heat on this burger.
Pork Chop

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.11.2010 3:40 pm

it still wouldn't hurt to see if you did have an allergic reaction. what's the worse thing you find out? that you didn't and it was indeed that hot, then you are safe and just need to avoid that burger. that you are indeed allergic to it and the next time you try something like that, you end up in the hospital or you end up on an episode of 1000 ways to die and someone puts your name in the for the darwin award for removing yourself from the genepool. either way, it's your choice. we really lose nothing in the aftermath..
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan