Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Study Buddy Wanted!!

Japanese Study Buddy Wanted!!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Japanese Study Buddy Wanted!!

Postby Fleep » Wed 10.28.2009 3:05 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is fleep and I am new to this forum yet I have known about the site for awhile now. Anyways I was wondering if anyone were willing to become study buddies for Japanese. I currently have little experiance with the language other than recalling the Kana's. I have the Genki I Text if anyone is interested in learning with me. It's not needed if you don't have the text. We can use software to work on it together. Any other matirial or resources you have are fine. It doesn't matter as long it is beneficial in the learning process of Japanese.

I am available on the evenings of every weekend. So if your interested let me know! ^^ We'll talk about it in further detail later on. Thank you everyone! ^^
Fleep

Native language: English

Re: Japanese Study Buddy Wanted!!

Postby Fleep » Sun 11.01.2009 6:02 pm

Really, isn't anyone interested? What a tough crowd . :(
Fleep

Postby Sairana » Sun 11.01.2009 8:15 pm

Don't feel offended.

The study-buddy method tends to fall apart rather quickly. I imagine a lot of us around here have abandoned it. It works in a classroom environment because everyone in a given class is kept on a similar level through the curriculum. With the tons of people doing self-study, each person will be at a slightly different point.

While you think it might not matter that much, the situation really boils down to the one who is slightly ahead attempting to tutor the one that's slightly behind, even when they don't have a great grasp of the material themselves. Can't answer complex questions or anything that the book doesn't already tell you.

I'm not trying to smack down the idea, but just offer an explanation. No one ignored you out of spite or an unwillingness to help.

Please, continue with your self study, and come here for help when you need it. Those who are able will do their best to clarify items that you don't get. :)
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Astral Abraxas » Mon 11.02.2009 4:49 pm

I don't think it could have been said any better Sairana. I certainly gave up on the study buddy method a long long time ago. For that exact reason to be honest...
Astral Abraxas

Postby Ovich » Tue 11.24.2009 1:18 pm

Wow Sairana I sure can’t argue with you on that point, I never actually looked at it from your point of view and it seems like it’s based on experience. Thanks for pointing that out but anyways regarding a Japanese study partner, Fleep I’m up for it if you’re still interested although I might not be much of a help since I just recently started studying, it’s been almost 2 month now and this idea actually crossed my mind, I believe that we should use what we learnt so we don’t forget. Think of it as an adventures, fun thing to do and be innovative while we learn, hopefully it will work out. :D
Ovich

Native language: アラビア語

Postby Dustin » Wed 11.25.2009 3:04 am

Sairana wrote:Don't feel offended.

The study-buddy method tends to fall apart rather quickly. I imagine a lot of us around here have abandoned it. It works in a classroom environment because everyone in a given class is kept on a similar level through the curriculum. With the tons of people doing self-study, each person will be at a slightly different point.

While you think it might not matter that much, the situation really boils down to the one who is slightly ahead attempting to tutor the one that's slightly behind, even when they don't have a great grasp of the material themselves. Can't answer complex questions or anything that the book doesn't already tell you.

I'm not trying to smack down the idea, but just offer an explanation. No one ignored you out of spite or an unwillingness to help.

Please, continue with your self study, and come here for help when you need it. Those who are able will do their best to clarify items that you don't get. :)

I completely agree, I hate annoyingly tutoring someone fulltime when I barely know the material.

I ALSO hate asking someone else so many questions about material since they are ahead.

Because of this I study alone, and if I can't understand something I will ask someone who knows better than me, but in this situation I am forced to look more up myself than having someone that JUST DID the exact same work you just did :D

Thanks for the great post Sairana
Dustin

Postby Princesskana » Thu 02.04.2010 5:56 pm

why not weekday nights.... man.... I work weekends...
Princesskana

Postby Mattias » Sun 02.14.2010 7:25 pm

I'm online most of the time in the Genki chat room in Community -> Chat part.
I'm on Genki II Lesson 18 currently, but I don't mind reviewing past exercises ^.^
I've studied for a while too and finally I've become effective at it, well, just visit the chat room and I'll answer you when I'm at the computer.

BTW, I live in GMT+1 timezone.
Mattias

Native language: Swedish; English

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)