Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Happy Valentine's Day, from Japan!

Happy Valentine's Day, from Japan!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Happy Valentine's Day, from Japan!

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 02.13.2010 10:33 pm

Well it's Valentine's day in Japan now, and I just wanted to wish you all a happy V-day!

Also, my wife (actually on her own initiative) wrote an article about Valentine's day in Japan.
It's actually pretty interesting, as Japanese Valentine's Day is pretty different than the west.

Hope you enjoy!

Here in Japan, Valentine’s Day is as big if not bigger event than in the west! Valentine’s Day in Japan started in the 70’s as a day for women to declare their love to men by giving chocolate What do men do on Valentine’s Day then? In Japan, men just receive chocolate on Valentine’s Day. However, there is another holiday in Japan that you don’t have in the West called “White Day.” White Day is when men who received chocolate on the Valentine’s Day from ladies give something in return to them on the 14th March, one month after Valentine’s Day.

What is the difference between Valentine’s Day of now and then? Women giving chocolate to men hasn’t changed so much, but many kinds of chocolates have shown up nowadays. Also cookies, cakes, and many other presents are sometimes given instead of chocolate.

Read the Rest
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Re: Happy Valentine's Day, from Japan!

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 02.14.2010 12:16 am

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

There really is a huge variety of chocolate available here. I got my husband a chocolate shaped like a chimpanzee. Hope everyone here gets lots of chocolates too!

そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 02.14.2010 3:01 am

Are you trying to give your husband a not-so-subtle hint there, Becki?!?! :lol:

Valentine's Day here (Australia) seems to be mostly about roses, not so much chocolates. Everywhere you go there are roses for sale, especially red ones. And red teddy bears and cuddly hearts.

Hope everyone has a happy day! And Happy Chinese New Year as well!! 新年快乐
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.16.2010 11:32 am

It's all about the roses in the US too.. And to be honest, it's from the men to the women. Sure there is the odd girl that actually does something for her man, but it's all about the woman in the US>

This year, due to financial difficulty, I made paper roses for my wife and a home made card and sent a free ecard to her as well. The cost of Roses is just too much and when it's a choice of Roses or gas for the car (or food on the table) Roses lose, hands down..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 02.16.2010 10:53 pm

I got roses for my wife for the first couple of valentine's, as well as anniversaries.
I always used to get a dozen roses, and the florist always asked me
a) why roses and
b) why 12.

Roses and 12 really aren't very big things in Japan compared to the west.
Harisenbon

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.17.2010 12:06 pm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/why-we-g ... roses.html
why roses? the red rose was considered the flower of love and the darker the red, the more deep the love.

http://www.loveletterbox.com/meaning_of_roses.htm
why 12? it means 'be my steady'.. personally, I usually by 9 roses.. An Eternal love, together as long as we live (although their definition of eternal is a bit shorter than mine.. but whatever.)

Roman mythology is where we can find the answer. The red rose was said to be the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty.

Even the different colors of the rose have their own significance. For instance, while the traditional red rose symbolizes passion, a yellow rose indicates friendship, a peach-colored rose means a desire to know that person better, while a white rose means true love and devotion. And we all know what black flowers represent, death.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 02.17.2010 8:57 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:..... This year, due to financial difficulty, I made paper roses for my wife and a home made card and sent a free ecard to her as well. The cost of Roses is just too much ...

Fortunately Valentine's Day falls in summer in Australia so I have plenty of roses in the garden :)

.... but then my wife and I don't do Hallmark Holidays.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 02.17.2010 11:04 pm

chikara wrote:.... but then my wife and I don't do Hallmark Holidays.

What about National Confectionery Industry Association holidays? :D
Harisenbon

Postby chikara » Wed 02.17.2010 11:59 pm

:D

I'd put Easter in that category.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 02.18.2010 4:17 am

chikara wrote:Fortunately Valentine's Day falls in summer in Australia so I have plenty of roses in the garden :)

I'm jealous! :cry: My roses stopped flowering. Usually they are very hardy, but they aren't handling the dry, hot conditions at the moment. I guess I'd better check what days we are allowed to water the garden and give them a long drink or 2.

For those of you not in South Australia, which would be the majority of you of course, we have rather strict water restrictions here. We can only water the garden 2 nights a week, I think, between the hours of 6-9pm. It might be 3 now, but it's very confusing. We're not allowed to use hoses, except with a trigger nozzle, and can't use sprinklers. It's too sad! On a hot day it's so much fun to run around under the sprinkler or hose.
Attachments
sprinkler%202.gif
sprinkler%202.gif (61.73 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
tōkai devotee

Postby chikara » Thu 02.18.2010 8:27 pm

tokai devotee wrote:I'm jealous! :cry: My roses stopped flowering. Usually they are very hardy, but they aren't handling the dry, hot conditions at the moment. I guess I'd better check what days we are allowed to water the garden and give them a long drink or 2. ...

All my roses are on individual drippers and the beds are well mulched. I also have around 2000L of rain water storage and a pump.

What little lawn I have is looking very brown though :(

tokai devotee wrote:.... For those of you not in South Australia, which would be the majority of you of course, we have rather strict water restrictions here. We can only water the garden 2 nights a week, I think, between the hours of 6-9pm. It might be 3 now, but it's very confusing. .......

They relaxed the restrictions after that rain we had around xmas. You can now water any day of the week but can still only water for 3 hours in total each week.
chikara

Postby tōkai devotee » Fri 02.19.2010 2:19 am

chikara wrote:
They relaxed the restrictions after that rain we had around xmas. You can now water any day of the week but can still only water for 3 hours in total each week.

Thanks for that, Chikara-san!
Crikey! Only 3 hours a week!?! I sure hope the neighbours are not timing me as I think I've probably watered for about twice that already this week, once I noticed the roses were very unhappy and the rest of the garden was beginning to look like the Sahara!!
tōkai devotee

Postby chikara » Fri 02.19.2010 2:58 am

tokai devotee wrote:Thanks for that, Chikara-san!
Crikey! Only 3 hours a week!?! ......

My mistake. I just checked the SA Water website and it is 5 hours a week. I've been missing out on two hours :o
chikara

Postby tōkai devotee » Fri 02.19.2010 3:03 am

chikara wrote:
tokai devotee wrote:Thanks for that, Chikara-san!
Crikey! Only 3 hours a week!?! ......

My mistake. I just checked the SA Water website and it is 5 hours a week. I've been missing out on two hours :o

Phew!!! :lol:
tōkai devotee

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 02.22.2010 1:18 pm

My girlfriend was in Tokyo during Valentine's Day so we didn't get to spend the day together, but when she came back she had won a ton of Gloomy Bear stuffed bears, and other things from a UFO catcher, which I liked much more than chocolate. But chocolate would have been fine too.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan