Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to use 面 ???

How to use 面 ???

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

How to use 面 ???

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 02.18.2010 7:25 pm

I know it means face or Surface Or something like that but how is this actually used? I came across it recently as I was reading Ja.wikipedia: また、内部機構のからは打楽器と弦楽器の特徴も併せ持った打弦楽器に分類される. I figure it means something like aspect due to the context but I want to be sure and I don't know how to pronounce it either other that めん。
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: How to use 面 ???

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 02.18.2010 7:47 pm

In this case, yes, it does mean aspect.
面 has a lot of meaning when translated into english, but it easiest to just think of it as being a "side" of something.

面 【めん】 (n) (1) face; (2) mask; face guard; (3) {MA} (in kendo) striking the head; (4) surface (esp. a geometrical surface); (5) page; (n,suf) (6) aspect; facet; side; (7) chamfer; (ctr) (8) counter for broad, flat objects, levels or stages, e.g. in a video game; (P)

in most cases it's read めん、but there is also a noun suffix which is read づら, and means "to look like"
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 02.18.2010 10:08 pm

どうも!! 今「面」が知るよ。
kentaku_sama

Postby Ben Bullock » Thu 02.18.2010 10:40 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:I know it means face or Surface Or something like that but how is this actually used? I came across it recently as I was reading Ja.wikipedia: また、内部機構のからは打楽器と弦楽器の特徴も併せ持った打弦楽器に分類される. I figure it means something like aspect due to the context but I want to be sure and I don't know how to pronounce it either other that めん。

Your guess is OK here. In the above it's めん rather than つら. 面 has two common pronunciations, めん meaning "surface" or つら meaning "face".

For example, 面積 (menseki) means "area" but 泣き面 (nakitsura) means "a crying face" :cry: and it's used in the common phrase 泣き面に蜂 (nakitsura ni hachi) which means something like "adding insult to injury". However, sometimes there are phrases like 面食い which is pronounced "menkui" but means someone who is "attracted by physical looks only", as it says in WWWJDIC.

So it's a good idea to learn the words in context.
Ben Bullock

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems