Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tips on learning kanji readings ???

Tips on learning kanji readings ???

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Tips on learning kanji readings ???

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 02.20.2010 3:41 pm

After studying kanji so much, I believe I've adjusted to them by reading them in pieces but the harder part, for me, it the pronunciations of each, sooooo many have the readings: sei, shou, sho, and jou!! Any tips on rapidly learning readings in context?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Tips on learning kanji readings ???

Postby Mattias » Sat 02.20.2010 6:48 pm

When I learn a new kanji, I learn them in words and never alone.
You probably have to learn the words to learn the reading for that word.
And that's also why I study like that.

"The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary" is a great kanji dictionary where you can see many words for each kanji and much more.
Mattias

Native language: Swedish; English

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.20.2010 9:42 pm

I think it's much easier to remember the readings if you have actual words to attach them to, that way they're not just isolated sounds. Learning the kanji for the vocabulary you already know, or finding words that are relevant and useful to you with the kanji you've just learned are both good methods.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby yukamina » Mon 02.22.2010 4:47 pm

Aside from learning them with vocabulary and not by themselves, I found Remembering the Kanji vol. 2 helpful for learning kanji readings. Like you said, so many kanji have the same readings, I used to struggle to remember them. The readings seemed so arbitrary. RTK2 groups the kanji based on phonetic markers, so you can learn the patterns(with an example word). For example these kanji 白 泊 迫 拍 舶 伯 all have the on-reading ハク. The 白 part indicates the pronunciation. Not every group is so clear cut, unfortunately.
Some people don't like RTK2, but I found it useful. I don't have trouble with on-readings anymore.
yukamina

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 02.23.2010 12:58 am

Speaking about using the right side of the Kanji as a pronunciation guide, I wrote an article about that last year, right before the JLPT.

If you're interested in it, here it is.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips