Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - かしわもち(柏餅)

かしわもち(柏餅)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

かしわもち(柏餅)

Postby coco » Thu 02.25.2010 4:04 pm

そこそこの年数生きてきても、この世は知らないことばかり。ふとした発見やトリビア的情報に心踊る日がありますよね。
先日、ある会社の経営理念とやらを調べる機会があって、見ていたら「かしわば」というキーワードが出てきたのです。なんだろうと思って読んでいたら、「子々孫々に事業と伝統を継承する」ことの象徴として使われていました。植物のこともあまり詳しくないもので知らなかったのですが、柏の木は落葉樹ながら秋に葉が落ちず、翌春に若葉が芽吹いた後に枯れ葉を散らすそうです。そこから子孫繁栄の象徴として用いられることになり、子どもの日に柏餅を食べるのも、その繁栄を願ってのこと。浅学ゆえ、こちらもまったく知りませんでした。こういうことを知ると、先人の智恵と心遣いが誇らしく、こちらまで嬉しくなるから不思議です。

以下例によって「なんちゃって英語」です。
「意味が通じないよー」とか「間違ってるよー」という箇所をご指摘いただけるなら幸いです。
----
As a Japanese national, I have been living in Japan for more than three decades.
I, however, still learn something new about Japanese culture, and it often makes me excited.

A few days ago, I researched a company’s philosophy for some reasons and found that the word “かしわば(柏葉)”, probably “oak leaves”, was used as a keyword to represent one of their managerial philosophy.
The company was established four hundred years ago and they placed value on the succession of their business. The word かしわば expresses their determination to pass their business down to generations.

I couldn’t understand why the word かしわば was used there, as I don’t have much knowledge about plants. They explained; Although Kashiwa is a deciduous tree, its leaves won’t fall apart until young leaves grow, so a Kashiwa tree has leaves all the time.
Thus, it is considered that かしわば symbolizes the lasting prosperity of family. That is the reason why we eat 柏餅 for Children’s Day, May 5th.
I didn’t know even the symbolic meaning of 柏餅. I was proud of Japanese culture when I learnt it,

Related thread: koiNobori

coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: かしわもち(柏餅)

Postby phreadom » Sat 02.27.2010 3:05 am

That is very interesting! Thank you coco-san! :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 02.27.2010 6:22 am

Very interesting, indeed!

I have a similar story. Despite being born in Australia and living most of my 3 decades here, I don't know everything there is to know about my country and its culture. When I teach ESL to visiting students from Japan, they sometimes ask me questions which, rather embarrasingly, I can't answer. I go off and research the subject, and get back to them the following day or following class with the answer. I too get excited to learn something which I previously didn't know. When I move on to the next group of students, I think I'll be able to answer all of their questions about Australia, but it seems that no matter how well prepared I am, they come up with new questions and there is always something new to learn! And this is exciting! :)
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby coco » Sat 02.27.2010 8:56 pm

Tokai devoteeさん、おっしゃること、よくわかります。
自国のことや自国の文化というのは、普段疑問を持たずにいても、改めて考えたり、人から訊かれたりすると「なぜなんだろう」と思うことよくありますよね。調べてみると、必ず新しい発見があり、「おお! すごい!」と興奮させられます。
でもこの歳になると、その感動を分かち合える人が限られてきます。
(「ふーん。それで?」と言われてしまうとせっかくの感動が薄れてしまうようで…。)

コメントを読んで感動を分かち合えたように思い、嬉しくなりました。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.27.2010 9:34 pm

cocoさん、
面白いポストをありがとうございました。読んでいると思わず「へぇぇぇ」と言いたくなりました。こういう身のまわりの小さなトリビアは実に興味深いものですね。
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語