Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 名前は漢字でどう書きます

名前は漢字でどう書きます

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

名前は漢字でどう書きます

Postby 冒険活劇の都市 » Sat 02.27.2010 9:49 pm

こんにちはみんな、
I was wondering if it would be too forward to sign my name as 鳥 マット for Matt Bird, or should I just use katakana for the sound of Bird? How are things like this taken in Japan? Thanks in advance!
冒険活劇の都市

Native language: 英語

Re: 名前は漢字でどう書きます

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.27.2010 9:56 pm

I understand the desire to kanjify your name; it's a phase most beginning students of Japanese go through (me too when I was a young sprout), but マット・バード is just fine. After all, you don't see 山田太郎 introducing himself as John Mountainfield, right?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby 冒険活劇の都市 » Sat 02.27.2010 11:15 pm

Thats very fair and what I assumed, the only thing that threw me off was reading the Death Note manga the main character is pronounced ライト but his name is put as 月. I figured that this might cross over as I had a simple word as a last name.

Haha, maybe I should get my head in the right books =)
冒険活劇の都市

Native language: 英語

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.27.2010 11:43 pm

Thats very fair and what I assumed, the only thing that threw me off was reading the Death Note manga the main character is pronounced ライト but his name is put as 月. I figured that this might cross over as I had a simple word as a last name.

There is a limited list of kanji that is approved for use in names, but parents can give the kanji any reading that they want, leading to some very weird names. There is a trend among young parents to give Englishy/foreign readings to kanji to be cool. 月=るな、 狼=うるふ、天=スカイetc. Check out some examples here if you're interested. Their "guess the reading" quiz is pretty funny too.

I guess it's the same as some of the weird new names English-speaking parents seem to be giving their kids these days.

そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Hektor6766 » Sun 02.28.2010 9:34 pm

偉い槍術家強い王です。

すてきなでも、の本当(外国語)の名前使います。
Last edited by Hektor6766 on Wed 03.03.2010 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 03.03.2010 1:26 am

becki_kanou wrote:Check out some examples here if you're interested.

I had a feeling you were going to link to that site.
I've actually been using it recently to make sure any of the names I like for my daughter DON'T show up on that list. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 03.03.2010 4:36 am

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Check out some examples here if you're interested.

I had a feeling you were going to link to that site.
I've actually been using it recently to make sure any of the names I like for my daughter DON'T show up on that list. ;)

I ♥LOVE♥ DQN! When is she due BTW? And if you don't mind my asking, what are some of the candidates you two have in mind? I might have mentioned it before, but we were thinking of 玲奈 or 絵里花 for girls. You're welcome to them if you like.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 03.03.2010 8:42 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Check out some examples here if you're interested. Their "guess the reading" quiz is pretty funny too.

I tried that quiz. I got a score of Zero!! I was close on a few of them. It was fun though.
I think I did better guessing Becki's choices for girl's names. 玲奈 is れな  絵里花 えりか。Is that right? Cool names. I like them!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.04.2010 4:33 am

becki_kanou wrote:I ♥LOVE♥ DQN! When is she due BTW? And if you don't mind my asking, what are some of the candidates you two have in mind? I might have mentioned it before, but we were thinking of 玲奈 or 絵里花 for girls. You're welcome to them if you like.

Her due date is the 22nd, although the Doctor is thinking that she'll be early because the baby's already at the 40wk mark size-wise. Although he pretty much said that since he has no experience with the growth patterns of mixed babies, he has no idea when she'll be born *laugh*

it's funny that you mention 玲奈, because our main contender for her kanji is 英玲奈 (and 英玲菜). Of course, we're going to leave that up to 姓名判断, but that's what we're hoping for. Although we've recently gotten to writing her name ヱレナ. ;)

I'm also stocked about the name because it works well in English (and I get to put in a middle name as well) Elena Rebecka Perhac.

I'm going to be such the 親ばか =)
Harisenbon

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 03.04.2010 9:47 am

エレナ is a great name however you write it!, And Rebecka is pretty good too, although I may be biased. :whistle: BTW I spell mine Rebecca and I had a friend in high school who spelled it Rebekah, but I've never seen Rebecka before. Why did you decide to spell it that way?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.04.2010 10:07 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Why did you decide to spell it that way?

I didn't. ;) When I was writing the post, I honestly couldn't remember how to spell Rebekah. :whistle:

I want to use the more Jewish spelling, so I'll probably be going with Rebekah, even though I am personally more partial to Rebecca. That too we'll leave up to 姓名判断 I think.
Harisenbon

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.08.2010 3:02 pm

My wife's name is Rebecca, although she goes by Becca.. She throws things when you call her becky though, so we don't do that.. :)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan