Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 打ち分け/振り分け(テニス専門語)

打ち分け/振り分け(テニス専門語)

Do you have a translation question?

打ち分け/振り分け(テニス専門語)

Postby badgersbadgers » Sun 02.28.2010 1:15 pm

Can anyone tell me what 打ち分け/振り分け mean in terms of a serve in Japanese? I know that they generally mean divide, separate etc. But I can't workout what it means in sporting terms.

Mostly I am asking because I got a tennis game on Sat. and they keep shouting at me to 打ち分けなさい when I serve.

Here are some examples of the kind of things I'm talking about.

"サービスの打ち分けはこつさえつかめば
安定感とスピンの打ち分けは簡単に出来るようになります"
If get the knack for dividing serves you'll easily be able to (have?) stability and divide spin (????) :sweatdrop: .
You can even find "テニス打ち分けトレーニングネット".
badgersbadgers

Native language: English

Re: 打ち分け/振り分け(テニス専門語)

Postby badgersbadgers » Mon 03.01.2010 9:22 am

Well I got my own answer. My BF is studying Japanese at college and got him to ask his teacher about it. Apparently it's sort of telling you to change your style or mix things up a bit, like trying a different angle or stroke.

There's a link for some kind of (football) site in Japanese that kind of explains it. http://winning-guide.com/near_far.html
badgersbadgers

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Mon 03.01.2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for the update. :) (sorry I couldn't help with the original question) :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Mon 03.01.2010 8:40 pm

badgersbadgers wrote:Can anyone tell me what 打ち分け/振り分け mean in terms of a serve in Japanese? I know that they generally mean divide, separate etc...... they keep shouting at me to 打ち分けなさい when I serve ......

badgersbadgers wrote:.... Apparently it's sort of telling you to change your style or mix things up a bit, like trying a different angle or stroke. ....

分ける can mean "to divide, to separate" but it also means "to differentiate". The polite imperative form is 分けなさい.

打ち is a strike or a hit which would be a stroke in tennis or golf. 振り is style or manner.

スピンの打ち分け is not divide spin but spin variation. This tennis page has some other stroke and volley variations.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion