Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 蚊に刺された

蚊に刺された

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: 蚊に刺された+ i が e の前

Postby burstandbloom » Wed 03.10.2010 1:12 am

Harisenbon wrote:
coco wrote:Can you say "g の前とc の後ろ以外ではi がe の前。"?

This video from merriam-webster might help you. (or drive you insane)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/0003-ibeforee.htm

I didn't even have to click that link, I've seen it! I love the 'Ask the Editor' on the side. (I'm assuming that's what the link is to). Affect Vs. Effect one was good I never knew that one, always wanted to though. The I before E thing made my brain hurt after watching though.

Edit:
coco wrote:I am sorry. I should have looked at the date you joined TJP.
すみません。BurstandbloomさんがTJPに加入した日付を見るべきでしたね。

No worries, of course! :)
About the mosquito thing, yes!, they definitely keep me up many times because of that buzzing noise in my ear. However, sometimes I would be in a deep enough sleep to where they would not wake me up and when I woke up the next morning, there the bites were.

coco wrote:いつご帰国(?)の予定ですか?

5月末頃に帰国する予定です。:(
それと、自国はアメリカです。
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby coco » Wed 03.10.2010 9:18 am

Harisenbon wrote:
coco wrote:Can you say "g の前とc の後ろ以外ではi がe の前。"?

This video from merriam-webster might help you. (or drive you insane)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/0003-ibeforee.htm

ご紹介いただきありがとうございます。
聞き取りに比べれば、黙々とスペルを覚える方がラクに思えてきました。
00:52-01:57 までの聞き取りをやってみましたがヒドイもんです。
-------------------
That's okay. Some people have tried to fix that by modifying a rule, and so some people learn "I before E except after C. or when sounded as A as in neighbor and weigh". The problem is __ that chocked(?) with tons of exceptions as well. We want it to be accurate what have to be something like; I before E except after C, or in sounded A as in neighbor and weigh, or one other appears in comparatives and superi__tives(!) like fancier, or ___C sounds as C as in glacier. Or __ sounds like E as in seize, or I as in height, or it shows up in compounds words as albeit. Or it shows up in "ing" inflections of verb's endney(!) like cueing(!), or occasionally in technical words that have strong ___logical into the ___ languages such as cuneiform and caffeine, and then numerous another random exceptions such as science for__ than weird(?). And that doesn't ____.
-----------
ボロボロです。

chikara wrote: "I before E except after C or when sounded like A as in neighbour and weigh".

There are also numerous exceptions to both those rules, for example "fancied", "species", "being" and "caffeine".

Chikaraさん、ありがとうございます。 :)
おかげさまで、この部分だけは他のところより聞き取れたような気がします。

burstandbloom wrote:
coco wrote:いつご帰国(?)の予定ですか?

5月末頃に帰国する予定です。:(
それと、自国はアメリカです。

それなら今年の桜は楽しめますね。
あと是非とも今のうちにウグイス(鶯)の鳴き声を堪能なさってくださいませ。
うちの近所では1週間ほど前からウグイスが春の訪れを告げてくれています。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 03.10.2010 11:35 am

Full text for you. :)
coco wrote:That's okay. Some people have tried to fix that by modifying the rule, and so some people learn "I before E except after C, or when sounded as A as in neighbor and weigh". The problem is, is that's chocked(?) with tons of exceptions as well. If we want it to be accurate it would have to be something like: I before E except after C, or when sounded as A as in neighbor and weigh, or when it appears in comparatives and superlatives like "fancier", or when the C sounds as "sh" as in "glacier", or when the vowel sounds like E as in "seize" or I as in "height", or if it shows up in compound words as (missing "in/with") "albeit", or when it shows up in "ing" inflections of verbs that end in E like "cueing"(/"queueing"), or occasionally in technical words that have a strong etymological link to their parent languages such as "cuneiform" and "caffeine", and in numerous and other random exceptions such as "science", "forfeit" and "weird". And that doesn't even rhyme.

Notes:
1. the double "is" (in "The problem is, is that's...") is a prevalent speech quirk. It's avoided in writing but slips into speech a lot.
2. "chocked with" (I'm pretty sure that's what she's saying) is a slip-up of "chock full of" (packed to the brim with, extremely full of)

Interesting because she's a good speaker. You have to contend with these kinds of errors in real spoken English, I guess ._.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Re: 蚊に刺された

Postby coco » Wed 03.10.2010 12:22 pm

Hyperwormさん、どうもありがとうございます!!
これ、注釈とそのリンクも含めてすごく勉強になります。

音が聞き取れない上に、語彙が少なくて文法がわかっていないから
聞き取れなくても当然推測できる言葉すら思い浮かばない。 :sweatdrop:

_C sounds as C as in glacier.
:mrgreen:

重ねて御礼申し上げます。