Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Beginner Sentences

Beginner Sentences

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Beginner Sentences

Postby Decae00 » Sat 02.27.2010 7:35 pm

Just want to write sentences using what I know. I've been interesting in learning Japanese for a while but I've only been really studying for a month. >.< Please critique~ :D

こんにちは。私の名前はケイトです。十四才です。アメリカ人です。エレキギターを時々練習する。

Ugh, I feel I've gotten no where. I'll just list off stuff I can say (I think).

こるは何ですか?それはうなぎです。
この電話番後は本当ですか。ええ、本当。
図書館は午前九時半から午後十時までです。
明日日曜日です。
私は今日大学に行きました。

And stuff like that. I've been trying to memorize more verbs and vocab, but for some reason it's much harder than I thought it would be. For some reason, I'm having a lot of trouble retaining a lot of what I try to memorize. Advice?

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Decae00 on Sat 02.27.2010 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Decae00

Native language: 英語

Re: Beginner Sentences

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.27.2010 9:21 pm

Decae00 wrote:Just want to write sentences using what I know. I've been interesting in learning Japanese for a while but I've only been really studying for a month. >.< Please critique~ :D

こんにちは。私の名前はケイトです。十四才です。アメリカ人です。エレキギターを時々練習する

Hello and Welcome to TJP! You're doing great with Japanese so far it seems.

Two points here, neither real mistakes, but rather matters of style:
1.It's more natural to write numbers like age, date, etc. with Arabic numerals rather than kanji. So: 14才です。
2. You've started out with です/ます so IMHO it sounds better to continue with it all the way. So:エレキギターを時々練習します

Ugh, I feel I've gotten no where. I'll just list off stuff I can say (I think).

こるは何ですか?それはうなぎです。
この電話番後本当ですか。ええ、本当
図書館は午前時半から午後時までです。
明日日曜日です。
私は今日大学に行きました。

Very well done! A few small points:

こる=これ This looks like it was probably just a typo as you had それ correct.

番後=番号 You missed the last う on ばんごう so you got the wrong kanji here.

Also I'm a little unclear on what you want to say here. 本当ですか?Means "Is it real?/Is it true?" Perhaps you wanted to say "Is it correct?" In which case it is 正しいですか? (ただしい) or あっていますか?

Same thing with the numbers here as well: 午前9時半から午後10時

Also you missed a は. 明日日曜日です

And stuff like that. I've been trying to memorize more verbs and vocab, but for some reason it's much harder than I thought it would be. For some reason, I'm having a lot of trouble retaining a lot of what I try to memorize. Advice?

For me, I find the best way to retain things is to use them. So try incorporating new vocab into your diary or practice sentences if you use those. Also rather than learning random vocabulary, it's best to learn things that are useful and important to you in your daily life. That way you'll have more natural opportunities to use the things you've learned.

Anyway, good work so far! Keep it up!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Decae00 » Sat 02.27.2010 9:37 pm

どうもありがとう!

Thanks for correcting me on the typos, I didn't really read over it so I didn't see them. Also, I was thinking of the right word, but I forgot 正しい there, so I just used 本当. I knew it didn't sound right, so thanks again.

As for your advice on vocab, I think I should get a diary now to write sentences in. Before I would just write the word a bunch of times until I got bored of it, so keeping a diary in Japanese is a great idea. I could also look back on earlier entries and see my progression.

I've also been trying to read my really simple Japanese bible. I think that the language is modern also, because the English side is like how someone would speak, no fancy words or anything.

Thanks for all your suggestions, becki! I really appreciate it! ^.^
Decae00

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.27.2010 9:43 pm

Glad to be of service. I always recommend writing a diary to my English students. At first you'll just write the same type of thing every day, but after doing that for a while it will begin to come naturally and you'll see your vocabulary and grammar growing day by day! Also as you said it gives you a visual record of your progress, so it can be a real motivator.

I know the diary that I wrote when I was just beginning to study Japanese is still one of my treasures.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Decae00 » Sat 03.13.2010 10:37 pm

Okay, more sentences off the top of my head with the new vocab I learned (thank God for flashcards):

私は毎日車を大学で乗る。
にいさんが私を空手は教えた。
ここみちはあんぜんじゃない。
毎日6時半へおきる。
ここへやひろいですよ。

I get really confused with -de/-e particles. I really don't know when to use which. >.<

Please critique!

Also, I have a question. How would one say something along the lines of "I know you're lying" or "I know you can't do that", something that has multiple verbs used in that way? :?
Decae00

Postby TJack » Sun 03.14.2010 12:29 am

When you want to say something like "by train" or "by car" (as in I went to school by car) you'll use the particle で。 So your first sentence would be:
私は毎日車で大学に行く。

The particle へ is used in a similar way to に. I think that there is only a slight nuance between these two particles, and that generally they both can be interchanged without too much of a difference. The only time (that I can think of the top of my head anyway) that you absolutely need to use に and not へ is when you are talking about a time reference (like "at 7oclock", see below)

I'm not a 100% sure what you are trying to say in your second sentence. Is it that you taught your older brother karate? If it is, then its 私はおにいさんに空手を教えた.

My genki book says that when you want to say to teach to someone, use the に particle and you use the particle を when you are talking about the subject.

みちはあんぜんじゃない。

That looked like it was just a typo.

You almost had it right for this sentence, but you used the wrong particle
毎日6時半おきる
For some times like when you want to say at night or at a specific time you'll use に.
However, you don't need it for things like everyday and such.

へやひろいですよ
Well, I thought it might of been a typo, but it doesn't seem to be...
When you want to say "this room" or "that car" use
この (this) その (that) あの (that one over there) どの (which one) 

As for your last question, I can't really help you there, someone else might be able to help.
So far great work!
TJack

Postby Decae00 » Sun 03.14.2010 1:34 pm

Yeah, I noticed my mistake that I accidentally confused この with ここ. What is ここ anyways?

As for the teaching one, I had the particles backwards I guess...

Thanks for all the corrections! It's horrible how much I screw up with my Japanese but it's better I screw up here rather than when I talk to people in reality, heh. Okay let me try this again with more sentences:

文学のクラスは私が作文を書きました。
経済はつまらないですよ。
へやに私の犬います。
私の自転車はあたらしいです。
先週、友達で家族の写真見せました。

I'm not so sure about the first and last sentences but I tried. >.<
Decae00

Postby TJack » Sun 03.14.2010 4:25 pm

That's what it seemed like, that you accidentally replaced こfor の. ここ is part of a
similar grammatical patten to この, where ここ means here, like "I am here". It follows a similar pattern to この, その etc. with ここ(here) そこ(there) あそこ(over there) and どこ(where?)。

For your first sentence, I can't say for sure if that is grammatically correct, because I'm still learning about the differences between が and は and am still a little confused about the two and how they are used in sentences. However, I think a better way to phrase the sentence might be to say

文学のクラスで私は作文を書きました。

This sentence means "I wrote an essay in the literature class". I don't know if you wanted to write "I wrote an essay for literature class" or any other combinations.

Sentence two and four are perfect.

Sentence three is only missing the particle が after 犬. Besides that, it looks great.

I think for sentence five you only used the wrong particle and forget another one. I can't find anything about using particles with the verb 見せる, but by going off what I know about other verbs , I think you'll generally use the particle にwhen you are talking about a indirect object. So if you want to say I showed a family picture to my friend, you'll use 友達に. Also, you forgot the particle を between 写真and 見せました。So the final sentence would be
先週、友達に家族の写真を見せました。

I'm not a 100% sure if you need 私の tacked on before 家族 to say my family. It's probably best to add it in just for clarity sake, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable and clear as it is.

So besides a couple of particle mess ups, it seems like you are doing great in your studies.
TJack

Postby NileCat » Sun 03.14.2010 5:12 pm

TJack wrote:For your first sentence, I can't say for sure if that is grammatically correct, because I'm still learning about the differences between が and は and am still a little confused about the two and how they are used in sentences. However, I think a better way to phrase the sentence might be to say

文学のクラスで私は作文を書きました。

This sentence means "I wrote an essay in the literature class". I don't know if you wanted to write "I wrote an essay for literature class" or any other combinations.

I think your correction is perfect.
JFYI, if anything, he could say;
文学のクラスで(は)私が作文を書きました。
Which can imply "I was the (only) one who wrote (the) essay in the literature class." But it doesn't seem to be a straight forward statement without a context.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Decae00 » Mon 03.15.2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the help! I've been pretty vigorous in my studies so I appreciate this tremendously. I'll post some more sentences in the future (I think).

I was trying to say "I wrote an essay for the literature class", btw. I think I just need some more time on the particles. :D
Decae00

Postby Decae00 » Tue 03.16.2010 12:29 pm

Some more sentences that I hope I got right...

一緒に学校に行きませんか。
今日電車は乗りましょう。
寮はどこですか。
昨日、私と友達は買いに漫画を行きました。
おかしは何円ですか。
その本はください。

I just reviewed the part of my textbook with all the shopping phrases and such so I decided to try some. I'm fairly confident I did well this time. ^.^
Decae00

Postby NileCat » Tue 03.16.2010 2:40 pm

一緒に学校に行きませんか。

Fine.
今日電車は乗りましょう。

今日電車乗りましょう。
今日は電車に乗りましょう。
寮はどこですか。

Fine.
昨日、私と友達は買いに漫画を行きました。

昨日、私と友達は漫画を買いに行きました。
おかしは何円ですか。

Good. "おかしはいくらですか" is more commonly used.
その本はください。

その本ください。

Good work!
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Decae00 » Thu 03.18.2010 11:39 am

Yay! I did do better this time! Okay, trying out some new things I learned:

山本さんの寮の家賃は安くありません。
私この音楽はすきですよ。
どんなすしはでしたか。
昨日、あの人は田中を言いましたか。
私の本は赤いのそこです。

*nervous*
Decae00

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 03.19.2010 6:36 am

Decae00 wrote:Yay! I did do better this time! Okay, trying out some new things I learned:

山本さんの寮の家賃は安くありません。

OK

私この音楽すきですよ。

この音楽好きです。

どんなすしでしたか。

どんな寿司でしたか? The は is unnecessary.

昨日、あの人は田中を言いましたか

Not quite sure what you want to say here. You have "Did that person say 'Tanaka' yesterday?" Perhaps you meant 「昨日、あの人は田中さんと話しましたか?」 "Did that person talk to Mr./Ms. Tanaka yesterday?"

私の本は赤いのそこです。

私の本はそこの赤いのです。(My book is the red one there.)

*nervous*

All in all quite well done! Keep up the good work!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Decae00 » Fri 03.19.2010 11:10 am

For the fourth one I actually wanted to say "What did that person say to Tanaka yesterday" but I noticed I forgot 何 in there. So would "昨日、あの人田中は何言いましたか。" be correct?

Thanks for all the corrections. ^.^
Decae00

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)