Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Recipe help

Recipe help

Do you have a translation question?

Recipe help

Postby アシカス » Sun 03.21.2010 1:43 am

Hi! This is my firt topic created on TJP.com, so I'll see what I can do.

I like to bake, and the best way for me to learn something is to do the action constantly, so I thought that learning fractions and ingreedients would work here.

This is a recipe that I usually make:

Code: Select all
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

200g Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup White sugar
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Hot Water
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
3 ¼ cup Flour
1tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking powder
1-2 cups Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 180ْ C. Combine butter, brown sugar and white sugar until pale and creamy, then add eggs, hot water and vanilla.  Beat until fluffy.
Sift together and stir in the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheets and bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown.

What I have so far:

200g = 二百グラム (にひゃく グラム)
Vanilla = バニラ (is this the same as vanilla essence?)
Butter = バター
Salt = しお
Egg = 卵 (たまご)
Flour = こむぎこ
Sugar = さと
So I'm guessing that brown sugar is 'ちゃいろ の さと' or 'ちゃいろいさと' or something? is white sugar: しろいさと or is it just さと?

And I'm guessing that Chocolate chips is: チョコレートチップ

So, what I would like to find out:
1) Baking soda.
2) how to say: 200g OF butter, 3 1/4 cup OF flour, and so on. I already know that 1/4 = 4分の1(よmぶんのいち)so, I'm guessing that 3 and 1/4 will be: 3と4分の1

So, basically, I would like to know how to say the ingreedients list at the moment, but if you want to translate the whole recipe, then feel free.

I'm not too good on kanji yet, so if you could write translations with kana aswell would be great!

Oh, and one more thing... is hot water: あつい水, or would it be something different, because I know if you're saying the water was cold, it's not 水がさむいです but 水がつめたいです.

どもありがと!
アシカス

Native language: English

Re: Recipe help

Postby yukamina » Sun 03.21.2010 10:46 am

Hi, I looked up a Japanese recipe to see what words it used. Here's the list of ingredients:

小麦粉 150g
バター 100g
砂糖 50g
黒砂糖(ブラウンシュガー) 50g
チョコチップ 120g
卵 1個
アーモンドパウダー 100g
重曹 小1/2
バニラエッセンス 少々

So brown sugar is called くろざとう, baking soda is called じゅうそう, chocolate chips are called チョコチップ, and vanilla essence is called バニラエッセンス.
Also, sugar is さと not さと.
yukamina

Postby アシカス » Sun 03.21.2010 2:27 pm

Thanks, that bottom bit helped, but as I said, I can't read the kanji... furigana translation anyone? Sorry... :(
アシカス

Postby yukamina » Sun 03.21.2010 5:21 pm

Sorry, I didn't clarify. I just posted the original list for reference. The part I wrote after that has the kana for the words you were looking for. I didn't translate the rest because you already got it right (小麦粉 is こむぎこ/flour, and you already had that, etc).

Oh yeah, for hot water... in Japanese you can't call 水(みず) "hot". They use the word 湯(ゆ) for water that isn't cool or cold. So I think you can say あついゆ for hot water.
yukamina

Postby アシカス » Sun 03.21.2010 11:13 pm

Thanks!

I just found a app for the iPod touch that allows you to look up kanji from their components, so I'll see what I can do for the recipe you gave me... Thanks again! It really helped!

Last thing... how would you say '1 cup', '1 teaspoon' and '1 tablespoon'.

Thanks!
アシカス

Postby chikara » Mon 03.22.2010 1:05 am

アシカス wrote:.... I just found a app for the iPod touch that allows you to look up kanji from their components .....

Why not just cut-and-paste them into an online dictionary such as WWWJDIC?

WWWJDIC also has a facility to look up kanji from their components. :)

アシカス wrote:.... how would you say '1 cup', '1 teaspoon' and '1 tablespoon' ....

Do the Japanese use "cup" (カップ), "teaspoon" (ティースプーン) and "tablespoon" measures in cooking or do they simply use the millilitre or gram equivalents? If they use them do they use US or metric tablespoons?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby yukamina » Mon 03.22.2010 3:59 pm

Tablespoon is おおさじ
Teaspoon is こさじ
In the recipes I've seen, they use grams for other measurements.
I'm glad I have a kitchen scale...

Like chikara said, you can easily look up words in an online/offline dictionary.
yukamina

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion