Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - questions about archaic japanese

questions about archaic japanese

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

questions about archaic japanese

Postby Stefan » Thu 01.28.2010 9:24 pm

does anybody know any good sites for learning classical/archaic japanese vocab and/or grammar
Stefan

Re: questions about archaic japanese

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 01.28.2010 9:29 pm

vocab "and/or" grammar?

I think Tony has a site with classical grammar on it, but there's not a whole lot online. You pretty much have to get print books. Even then, the pickings are pretty slim; the standard way for people to teach classical Japanese seems to be just to give the students a Shogakkan copy of Hojoki or Taketori Monogatari and start going.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Stefan » Thu 01.28.2010 9:34 pm

そっか忝い ユダン-様。
Stefan

Postby blutorange » Fri 01.29.2010 10:39 am

While learning Japanese I was also interested in learning more how the Japanes language evolved and to understand archaic constructions/phrases still used. I found a very good book called "A Historical Grammar of Japanese" which is freely avaiable here: http://www.archive.org/details/historic ... 00sansuoft

It aims to be a linguistic description of how the Grammar evolved. As it was written 80 years ago, it doesn't use a too scientific language and is generally easy to understand. There are many examples mostly taken from classical sources to illustrate the constructions under discussion. After reading it, I understood Japanese grammar and syntax so much more and I could remember things better due to being logical.

As for vocabulary,there are some (monolingual Japanese) dictionaries of classical Japanese. Here's a list I found: http://library.osu.edu/wikis/library/in ... l_Japanese

I guess there aren't many J-English dictionaries. But if you want to get fluent in Classical Japanese, you should understand modern Japanese anyway.
blutorange

Native language: German

Postby Hinoeuma » Sat 01.30.2010 4:11 am

I was lucky enough to find a copy of Haruo Shirane's 'Classical Japanese, A Grammar' at my local used bookstore. I'm saving serious study for when I advance farther, but from my initial read-through, it seemed like an excellent book. I'd also recommend the "Classical Japanese Reader and Essential Dictionary" by the same author.
Hinoeuma

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 03.24.2010 3:02 am

blutorange wrote:

I found a very good book called "A Historical Grammar of Japanese" which is freely avaiable here: http://www.archive.org/details/historic ... 00sansuoft

I've read almost 100 pages in the first sitting. It's fascinating, and does provide valuable insight into the developmental logic behind the modern language.
Hektor6766

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems