Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Not sure if I got this right...

Not sure if I got this right...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Not sure if I got this right...

Postby Kenitai » Tue 03.23.2010 5:41 pm

I'm having a very hard time understanding the following sentences, though I think I almost understand it, there's that tiny bit I can't grasp...

Basically, I told a female e-pen pal that I plan to enter a university which educates someone in Japanology. I try to figure out what she is saying in response:
「大学に行くことにしたの?その大学に入るのって難しい?:( もし入っても絶対に日本に行ける保証はないの日本に行けるのは1人?行きたい人は何人くらいいるんだろう。でも頑張ってほしいなぁ^^ 応援してるからね!」

So far what I can make out of all this is...:
"Is it different to go to an university? is it difficult to enter that university? But even if it goes well in Japan is there no absolute guarantee? to go well alone in Japan? I guess it's like anyone who wants to go. But I want you to do your best. Because I cheer for you!"

Could anyone enlighten me if I got close?
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Re: Not sure if I got this right...

Postby ThePacster » Tue 03.23.2010 8:41 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but I think I can take a stab at understanding what she said.

大学に行くことにしたの?
- Have you decided to go to college?

その大学に入るのって難しい?
- Is entering that college difficult?

もし入っても絶対に日本に行ける保証はないの?
- If you enter the college, is going to Japan guaranteed?

日本に行けるのは1人?
- Is it only you who will be able to go? (guessing on the 'you')

行きたい人は何人くらいいるんだろう。
- I wonder how many people want to go (close?)

でも頑張ってほしいなぁ^^ 応援してるからね!
- But I want you to do your best, I'll be rooting for you.

I'm still but a novice, but perhaps one of the vets around here can shed some light on this. :)
ThePacster

Postby fitzhugh » Tue 03.23.2010 8:46 pm

I'm not sure about the form "ことにしたの," but from that context I don't think she's asking you if it's different to go to a university. It seems more conversational. The way I translate the rest is:

Is it difficult to get into that university? Even if you get in, there's no definite guarantee that you'll be able to go to Japan, is there? Can only one person go to Japan? I wonder how many people there are that want to go. But I want you to do your best, because I'm cheering (also supporting/backing you up) for you!

I hope that makes more sense for you.
Last edited by fitzhugh on Tue 03.23.2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitzhugh

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Tue 03.23.2010 8:53 pm

ThePacster wrote:.... 応援してるからね!
..... I'll be rooting for you.....

Personally I'd use "barracking" or even "cheering", but that is just a cultural thing ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Kenitai » Wed 03.24.2010 7:31 am

fitzhugh wrote:I'm not sure about the form "ことにしたの," but from that context I don't think she's asking you if it's different to go to a university. It seems more conversational. The way I translate the rest is:

Is it difficult to get into that university? Even if you get in, there's no definite guarantee that you'll be able to go to Japan, is there? Can only one person go to Japan? I wonder how many people there are that want to go. But I want you to do your best, because I'm cheering (also supporting/backing you up) for you!

I hope that makes more sense for you.

The way you put it there makes very much sense to me. Thank you! :) (also thanks to the others for trying to help though!)
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby ThePacster » Wed 03.24.2010 10:06 am

If I'm not mistaken, (verb)ことにする is used to say a decision has been made, with the の? on the end being sort of an explanation marker similar to んです.

So, 「大学に行くことにしたの?」 is asking, "Has going to college been decided?"
ThePacster

Postby chikara » Wed 03.24.2010 8:50 pm

ThePacster wrote:If I'm not mistaken, (verb)ことにする is used to say a decision has been made ....

You're not mistaken. :)

To quote A Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar,

ことにする - a volitional decision to do something is made. Decide to.

ThePacster wrote:..... with the の? on the end being sort of an explanation marker similar to んです.

So, 「大学に行くことにしたの?」 is asking, "Has going to college been decided?"

That is my understanding.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 03.25.2010 10:21 am

Well, except that 「ことにしたの?」 isn't a passive construction like "Has... been decided?", but an active construction with a subject, as ThePacster translated it in the first reply to this topic.
(AFAIK)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby ThePacster » Thu 03.25.2010 6:22 pm

Hyperworm wrote:Well, except that 「ことにしたの?」 isn't a passive construction like "Has... been decided?", but an active construction with a subject, as ThePacster translated it in the first reply to this topic.
(AFAIK)

Very picky but yes. :P 「ことにする」 is something that has been actively decided by the person, and I believe 「ことになる」 is something that is passively (is that the right word?) decided.
ThePacster

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems