Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Do you have a translation question?

Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Tue 03.30.2010 12:51 am

Hello there TJP community! I've been studying Japanese recently, and since it's a totally different language than any language that I've learned before (Spanish, for example), I've been having a little difficulty learning it.

Anyway, my Japanese schoolmate told me to write on my diary every day (but I had to write in Japanese of course) if I want to get better. So I did. However, there's a problem. I don't know most of the common phrases that people use every day in the Japanese language, and since I found this neat forum, I thought you guys could help me. :D

Phrases I do not know in Japanese:
- I wrote on my diary. (I know that the word "diary" in Japanese is 日記 "nikki" and "to write" in past tense is 書きました "kakimashita", but I just can't seem to join these two words together to form a sentence that makes sense :blush: )

- Today school was boring. (Kyou means today, school is gakkou, chinke means boring. So, is the sentence "今日, 学校 は ちんけ でした." grammatically correct?)

- Nothing interesting happened. (I have no idea how to say this expression in Japanese :blush: )

-He was mad at me. (Is "彼 は僕 に いかりました." correct?)

-I had a stomachache. (Is "僕 は はらをいためる でした." correct?)

I would appreciate very much anyone who would like to help me, thank you!
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 03.30.2010 2:02 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:

Phrases I do not know in Japanese:
- I wrote on my diary. (I know that the word "diary" in Japanese is 日記 "nikki" and "to write" in past tense is 書きました "kakimashita", but I just can't seem to join these two words together to form a sentence that makes sense :blush: )


That's ok but you're jut missing the particle. 日記書きました。is grammatically correct.

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:- Today school was boring. (Kyou means today, school is gakkou, chinke means boring. So, is the sentence "今日, 学校 は ちんけ でした." grammatically correct?)


ちんけ means boring as in uncool, and I don't think it's what you need here. つまらない is the word you're looking for.

I'm sorry to say I don't have time now to help with the rest. Hopefully someone else can help, or I'll able to get back to it later.

Keep up the good work! がんばってください。
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Tue 03.30.2010 2:07 am

tokai devotee wrote:
Nakagawa Izumi wrote:

Phrases I do not know in Japanese:
- I wrote on my diary. (I know that the word "diary" in Japanese is 日記 "nikki" and "to write" in past tense is 書きました "kakimashita", but I just can't seem to join these two words together to form a sentence that makes sense :blush: )


That's ok but you're jut missing the particle. 日記書きました。is grammatically correct.


Ahh, so it was that simple? "Boku wa nikki ni kakimashita."

tokai devotee wrote:
Nakagawa Izumi wrote:- Today school was boring. (Kyou means today, school is gakkou, chinke means boring. So, is the sentence "今日, 学校 は ちんけ でした." grammatically correct?)


ちんけ means boring as in uncool, and I don't think it's what you need here. つまらない is the word you're looking for.


Ohh, I see. So it's "Kyou, gakkou wa tsumaranai deshita." right?

tokai devotee wrote:I'm sorry to say I don't have time now to help with the rest. Hopefully someone else can help, or I'll able to get back to it later.

Keep up the good work! がんばってください。


That's okay, you really helped me a lot. Thank you very much!
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Sairana » Tue 03.30.2010 2:19 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Anyway, my Japanese schoolmate told me to write on my diary every day (but I had to write in Japanese of course) if I want to get better. So I did. However, there's a problem. I don't know most of the common phrases that people use every day in the Japanese language, and since I found this neat forum, I thought you guys could help me. :D


You will certainly get help here, but you can also look at lang-8.com

It's specifically designed for people of all levels to practice in a foreign language and corrected by native speakers. Most people just typically write blog/journal entries in both their native and target languages. then someone comes along and corrects it using the built in tools.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Tue 03.30.2010 2:39 am

Sairana wrote:You will certainly get help here, but you can also look at lang-8.com

It's specifically designed for people of all levels to practice in a foreign language and corrected by native speakers. Most people just typically write blog/journal entries in both their native and target languages. then someone comes along and corrects it using the built in tools.


サイラナさん, ありがとう! その ページ は 有用 です よ! :D
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Kakads » Tue 03.30.2010 4:38 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Ohh, I see. So it's "Kyou, gakkou wa tsumaranai deshita." right?

With the past form of -i adjectives, you take the final -い off and add -かった, so:
今日,学校はつまらなかったです。

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:-He was mad at me. (Is "彼 は僕 に いかりました." correct?)

彼は僕に怒りました。
怒る is the verb 'to get angry'.

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:-I had a stomachache. (Is "僕 は はらをいためる でした." correct?)

You can simply say お腹が痛かったです。

You should try and use simpler ways of expressing things, rather than looking in the dictionary and taking out words that you're unsure how to use. :wink:
User avatar
Kakads
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon 04.17.2006 7:19 am
Location: London, UK
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Tue 03.30.2010 6:17 am

Kakads wrote:
Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Ohh, I see. So it's "Kyou, gakkou wa tsumaranai deshita." right?

With the past form of -i adjectives, you take the final -い off and add -かった, so:
今日,学校はつまらなかったです。


Oh, now I see.

Kakads wrote:
Nakagawa Izumi wrote:-He was mad at me. (Is "彼 は僕 に いかりました." correct?)

彼は僕に怒りました。
怒る is the verb 'to get angry'.

Well, yes I know that. According to the dictionary, 怒る can be read as "okoru" and "ikaru", and I chose the latter. This is why I'm confused with kanji readings, hahahaha :sweatdrop:

Kakads wrote:
Nakagawa Izumi wrote:-I had a stomachache. (Is "僕 は はらをいためる でした." correct?)

You can simply say お腹が痛かったです。


Oh, so it's "onaka ga itakatta desu."

Kakads wrote:You should try and use simpler ways of expressing things, rather than looking in the dictionary and taking out words that you're unsure how to use. :wink:


Hahaha, well that's why I joined these forums right? I don't know many simple Japanese-everyday expressions. Thank you very much for helping me, Kakads! :colonthree:
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby writebook » Tue 03.30.2010 8:03 pm

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:- I wrote on my diary. (I know that the word "diary" in Japanese is 日記 "nikki" and "to write" in past tense is 書きました "kakimashita", but I just can't seem to join these two words together to form a sentence that makes sense :blush: )


You should use 「を」 to specify what you wrote.
Example: 日記書きました。
It sounds like it's saying "I wrote my diary" or "I wrote a diary" instead of "I wrote in my diary."
But actually it's more natural to say it this way in Japanese.
Even if you say, "I wrote a diary," it doesn't mean you filled out the whole entire diary. It could be just one entry or passage and you would still say 「日記を書きました。」

You can also use 「に」 to specify where you wrote something. However, the sentence sounds a bit strange unless you also use 「を」 to specify what you wrote.
For example:
「パスワード日記書きました。」(I wrote the password in my diary)
「今日のできごと日記書きました。」(I wrote (about) today's happenings in my diary)
In English, "I wrote in my diary." is a regular expression, but if you say only that in Japanese (「日記に書きました。」), the listener will think, "What did you write in your diary?"

These things you just have to get used to through examples you come across. In language learning, examples are just as important as rules are, if not more.

Maybe you should write your diary often in many different places, such as the cafeteria, library, or campus lawn. That way, you can write things like:
「今日はカフェテリア日記書きました」(Today, I wrote my diary in the cafeteria)
「今日は図書館日記書きました」(Today, I wrote my diary in the library)
(図書館=としょかん, library)
*で specifies the place you are at while doing something.

The reason I suggest this is that you will have a reason to keep using the phrase you just learned. Maybe you can also write down a brief sentence about what it was like writing in that place ("Jen was chatting with Mike" or "The sky was red" or "The wind was cool") so that you can actually get some enjoyment from being able to remember that moment, rather than just doing it as a drill.

A second reason why I suggest doing it is that in language learning, sometimes it helps to keep using the same sentence patterns. While it also helps to challenge yourself to say new things that you don't know how to say yet, at least for part of your diary you should also keep using sentences you know how to say, to make them stick. Things that you know very well become stepping stones for you to learn other things. Things you know very well will make other lessons easier. And if you have regular sentences in your diary like "I wrote in --- today" or "I wrote at ---'o clock today," you can just write that on days when you are too tired to write a lot. Even writing just this is way better than staying away from your target language for a whole day.
writebook
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri 12.25.2009 3:17 pm
Native language: 日本語

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Kakads » Wed 03.31.2010 4:35 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Well, yes I know that. According to the dictionary, 怒る can be read as "okoru" and "ikaru", and I chose the latter. This is why I'm confused with kanji readings, hahahaha :sweatdrop:


I guess, but it is more common to have the reading as "okoru". Just letting you know. ;)

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Hahaha, well that's why I joined these forums right? I don't know many simple Japanese-everyday expressions. Thank you very much for helping me, Kakads! :colonthree:


You're welcome. ^_^
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions~
User avatar
Kakads
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon 04.17.2006 7:19 am
Location: London, UK
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Traslating some English phrases into Japanese

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Wed 03.31.2010 5:43 am

Kakads wrote:You're welcome. ^_^
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions~


Wow, really? Thanks! :D
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron