Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Reading the Kanji of Japanese names

Reading the Kanji of Japanese names

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Reading the Kanji of Japanese names

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Tue 04.06.2010 2:53 am

Hi, I wanted to ask you guys about Japanese names. First of all, I assume that you're familiar with "Death Note" right? So, I've been wondering about the protagonist's name, which is 夜神 月。Now, the correct reading for it would be やがみ つき right? But, in this case, the kanji for tsuki 月, is pronounced as ライト, which makes his name やがみ ライト。 But, can 月 really be read as "raito"?

Also on another note, I noticed that the names of Japanese people use different characters. Some use kanji in both their family names and first names. Some use kanji for their family names only, and use either hiragana or katakana as their first names. So, what's the deal with that? And lastly, it possible for someone to have their family name written in hiragana or katakana and their first names in kanji?

Thank you in advance.
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
Nakagawa Izumi

Native language: English

Re: Reading the Kanji of Japanese names

Postby chikara » Tue 04.06.2010 3:08 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Hi, I wanted to ask you guys about Japanese names. First of all, I assume that you're familiar with "Death Note" right? So, I've been wondering about the protagonist's name, which is 夜神 月。Now, the correct reading for it would be やがみ つき right? But, in this case, the kanji for tsuki 月, is pronounced as ライト, which makes his name やがみ ライト。 But, can 月 really be read as "raito"? ......

ライト = Light, so it is not an "offical" reading of 月.

Kanji have nanori (name readings) as well as onyomi and kunyomi.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 04.06.2010 8:19 am

This same question came up a few weeks ago here. You might want to check it out!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Tue 04.06.2010 8:25 am

becki_kanou wrote:This same question came up a few weeks ago[url]here[/url]. You might want to check it out!

Not to mention 5 years ago :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 04.06.2010 9:10 am

Wow! Deathnote's been around for more than 5 years now? That makes me feel old, somehow. Old and senile enough to mess up my url tags...(Fixed now, though.) :whistle:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby writebook » Tue 04.06.2010 11:06 am

Nakagawa Izumi wrote:Some use kanji for their family names only, and use either hiragana or katakana as their first names. So, what's the deal with that? And lastly, it possible for someone to have their family name written in hiragana or katakana and their first names in kanji?

Some people just think it's "cooler" to have their first name written in katakana (kind of reminiscent of a foreign name) or "softer" or more down to earth if it is written in hiragana. It's kind of hard to explain how it feels different.

In those cases, they have chosen the way of writing for their name at birth. However, sometimes, when politicians run for election, they may strategically choose to write their last name or first name in Hiragana on all their campaign posters to make it more recognizable and approachable. Some celebrities may choose another way to spell their name (like katakana, hiragana, or with the English alphabet) when they debut to make it more impressionable, although it's just as common to make up a stage name.

As for last names in katakana, some people with a foreign last name naturally have a katakana last name. For example, this guy. Outside of international marriages, I don't know of anyone who has a hiragana or katakana last name. Maybe some people of Ainu ethnicity might have a katakana name, but I'm just speculating.
Last edited by writebook on Wed 04.07.2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
writebook

Native language: 日本語

Postby coco » Tue 04.06.2010 5:32 pm

Writebook さん、はじめまして。

正しくマークしているのに、なんでリンクがうまくいかないんだろうと私も不思議に思いました。
どうやら「ダルビッシュ」というカタカナが原因なのかもしれません。

このポストをQuoteの形で見ていただけますか?

[url=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ダルビッシュ]this guy[/url].
this guy

WikipediaのダルビッシュのページのURLをコピーすると、不思議と勝手に変換される長い方を使う必要があるみたいです。 
(少なくとも私がURLをコピーして貼り付けようとすると勝手に変換されますが、いかがでしょうか)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby writebook » Wed 04.07.2010 1:35 am

coco さん、ありがとうございます。リンクできました。
最初に投稿したときもペーストを使ったはずなので(URLは手打ちするには長すぎるので)、はじめにどうやって間違えたのか不思議なのですが…。
やり方がはっきりしてよかったです。
writebook

Native language: 日本語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems