Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Quikie

Quikie

Do you have a translation question?

Quikie

Postby アシカス » Wed 04.07.2010 2:18 am

Hi, I just wanted to make sur ethis was right, as I'm putting it in my speech for school:

ひるごはんをたべることがで前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげました。

Does it mean: Before eating lunch, we gave Rebecca presents. ??
 
Also, is there a way that I could make it say: Before we could eat lunch, we had to give Rebecca presents.?

Thanks for the help!
アシカス
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon 11.30.2009 3:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Quikie

Postby spin13 » Wed 04.07.2010 5:00 am

アシカス wrote:ひるごはんをたべることがで前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげました。
Before eating lunch, we gave Rebecca presents.

たべる前に

アシカス wrote:Before we could eat lunch, we had to give Rebecca presents.

What looks simple in English isn't quite as simple in Japanese.
ひるごはんをたべさせてもらえる前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげなければならなかった。
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Quikie

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 04.07.2010 9:35 am

Be aware of nuances in play here though.

The English version
Before we could eat lunch, we had to give Rebecca presents.
can be interpreted as either
Before lunchtime came around, there still remained the matter of giving Rebecca presents.
(speaking with reference to the day's schedule; fairly neutral) or
Before we were allowed to eat lunch, we were required to give Rebecca presents.
(implies that you did not want to give Rebecca presents or that you are only doing it to get lunch)

Personally I can't help but read the Japanese version
ひるごはんをたべさせてもらえる前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげなければならなかった。
as the second one...
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Quikie

Postby writebook » Wed 04.07.2010 2:33 pm

Hyperworm wrote:Be aware of nuances in play here though.

The English version
Before we could eat lunch, we had to give Rebecca presents.
can be interpreted as either
Before lunchtime came around, there still remained the matter of giving Rebecca presents.
(speaking with reference to the day's schedule; fairly neutral) or
Before we were allowed to eat lunch, we were required to give Rebecca presents.
(implies that you did not want to give Rebecca presents or that you are only doing it to get lunch)

Personally I can't help but read the Japanese version
ひるごはんをたべさせてもらえる前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげなければならなかった。
as the second one...

Right. The Japanese translation here makes it sound like there's someone holding back your meal, and you have to do what s/he says (give the present to Rebecca) to get permission to eat.

We need context to translate it properly. What was the situation that made you have to give the present first?
writebook
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri 12.25.2009 3:17 pm
Native language: 日本語

Re: Quikie

Postby アシカス » Tue 04.20.2010 4:09 pm

We were at her B'day party, and...

ひるごはんに レベッカのりょうしん は バーベーキューを りょうりしました。 その上 おなかが すいていましたかれ いいにおい だとおもいました。 しかし、ひるごはんをたべさせてもらえる前に、レベッカにプレゼントをあげなければならなかった。

Does that fit in the context? I think it's more, I wanted to get the present-giving out of the way so we could eat lunch, because I was hungry and it smelt good.

Thanks! That's helped already.
アシカス
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon 11.30.2009 3:01 am
Native language: English


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests