Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I think she liked my present?

I think she liked my present?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

I think she liked my present?

Postby アシカス » Tue 03.23.2010 10:29 pm

hi... I'm not sure if I got this right, but I gave it a shot anyway.

What I want to say is: I think she liked my present. But, I'm not sure if I got the grammar points right.

彼女は 私の プレゼントが すき だと おもいです。

Is that right?

Also, along with the whole 'I think...", is that おもかったです。If you're in past tense? thanks for your help! I'm writing a speach, so I wanted to get the final polish done...
アシカス

Native language: English

Re: I think she liked my present?

Postby fitzhugh » Tue 03.23.2010 11:16 pm

I think what you're looking for is "omoimasu" (思う or 思います), not "omoi desu." "Omoi" as an adjective means "heavy" (重い). "Omoi" as a noun can mean "thought" or "feeling" (思い) but in this context you want 思います, meaning "to think."

Literally, "I think she liked my present" translates to 彼女は私のプレゼントが好きだと思います。Depending on context, there are more fluent ways to translate this, but I think that translation would be sufficient for your presentation. As "omoimasu" is a verb, putting it in past tense would make it "omoimashita" (思った or 思いました). "Omokatta desu" means "(it) was heavy."

I hope that helps! :)
fitzhugh

Postby アシカス » Wed 04.14.2010 5:03 am

Thanks! That really helped. I think I know both omoimasu, and omoidesu, but I forgot about heavey until you corrected me! Thanks, because now I won't make that mistake... She, my present was heavy!

So I suppose omoi mashita Would be the correct past tense? Thanks again!.
アシカス

Postby furrykef » Wed 04.14.2010 5:17 am

fitzhugh wrote:As "omoimasu" is a verb, putting it in past tense would make it "omoimashita" (思った or 思いました).

;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems