Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Audio Translation Help?

Audio Translation Help?

Do you have a translation question?

Audio Translation Help?

Postby maufii » Thu 04.22.2010 12:17 pm

There's a short clip at the beginning of a music video with two people talking...

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0DO_FW-rc

And I was wondering about the last scentence where the guy is saying "let's not talk about this." in the subtitles. It's a bit hard for me to make out, but I'd like to know the Japanese he's saying.
Is it... Sonno hanashi wo oite okou?

I've been repeatedly listening to it over and over trying to catch the exact words. Can anyone help me out with this? I don't think oite is correct because I can't find it on jisho.org. But, perhaps that is because it is te form... If anyone can also tell me what the exact translation to this sentence is it would be very helpful to me as well. I believe the first part is something like "this talk..." and then rest of it should lead up to 'lets not do it', eh? I'm just not sure what the last part is yet.

Thanks for your time.
maufii

Re: Audio Translation Help?

Postby kurisuto » Thu 04.22.2010 4:26 pm

I hear "sono (there's no double "n") hanashi wa oite okou". It translates to "let's put this aside". "oite" is the te-form of "oku", and here it means "leave aside" ; "okou" is also "oku", but when it follows the te-form of another verb, it has the meaning of "leaving something the way it is" or "doing something in advance (for future benefits)". Here it would be the first one.
kurisuto

Native language: French

Re: Audio Translation Help?

Postby maufii » Sun 04.25.2010 12:43 pm

kurisuto wrote: "sono (there's no double "n") hanashi wa oite okou". It translates to "let's put this aside". "oite" is the te-form of "oku", and here it means "leave aside"

Ah, thank you very much for the help. I can hear it in the words now. sono hanashi wa oiteokou, eh? Thank you for correcting me on the double 'n's as well. I knew what the word meant but spelling it wrong complicates things in the dictionary for me. Thanks again for your time.
maufii

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion