Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any recomendation for 読解?

Any recomendation for 読解?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Any recomendation for 読解?

Postby pmt7ar » Fri 04.23.2010 10:58 pm

Hello. I started learning japanese two years ago, from zero (my first step was practicing the kana table on wikipedia). It was always self-study, as there is not any good offer on institutions in my zone (or are too slow for my goals, like attending 5 years to just sit for Tokimeki exams -a sort of 5級 and 6級 at a national scale-).
I was doing well with some books I got recommendations or have analyzed at the japanese embassy library, but now I feel I'm getting stuck and don't know how to continue.
I sat for 2級 last december and passed it by luck with an 68% (just because 読解 section was extremely easy, in all the mock exams I took I never got good score on it).
Now I'll sat again for N2 and aim for a 90%+.

For grammar, I'm using The Japan Times dictionaries (the three levels), and Kanzen Master series for 1 and 2級, for the listening I watch live TV, tons of anime, games and j-music; and feel comfortable with it; and for kanji/vocabulary I have the specifications lists, and a couple of dictionaries (and 2級 sô-matome for vocabulary) -by the way I extremely recommend Kodansha's Kanji Learner Dictionary, i use it almost everyday and work wonders-.

What I'm lacking is text comprehension skills, almost all I read is short sentences of pharagraphs used to explain grammar or idioms, or vague conversation in games. I've bough some syônen manga and can understand it pretty well, but still, short sentences on balloons. I'm not confident enough to say, buy a novel (like Murakami's 1Q84 I'm dying in wait for a translation).
I'm looking for something like "新基準対応 日本語能力試験1級・2級 40日完成 試験に出る読解" I used preparing for 2級, but with short stories, fragments of different type of narration (from fiction to the usual newspaper/research texts that comes in JLPT). If possible with exercises.

I've seen several books for "読解" but I don't know them, or if they have the appropriate level for me. So I want to hear any opinion or recommendations of good reading comprehension material for 2級.

Thanks!
pmt7ar

Native language: Español

Re: Any recomendation for 読解?

Postby spin13 » Sat 04.24.2010 9:02 am

pmt7ar wrote:What I'm lacking is text comprehension skills, almost all I read is short sentences of pharagraphs used to explain grammar or idioms, or vague conversation in games. I've bough some syônen manga and can understand it pretty well, but still, short sentences on balloons. I'm not confident enough to say, buy a novel (like Murakami's 1Q84 I'm dying in wait for a translation).

I think you should read novels, especially if it is something that interests you. Although 200+ pages can be daunting at first, the longer you read the easier it gets. Not only do you become accustomed to the author's idiolect, but the farther into the story the more the context and background helps you to figure out what is going on. Novels are, for me, much easier than newspapers and nonfiction.

Perhaps because of his experience reading and translating from English, I find Murakami Haruki's works to be particularly accessible. He has a number of short story collections that are enjoyable if you still don't have confidence in a full novel. The first two books in the Trilogy of the Rat (風の聞け and 1973年のピンボール) are both also rather short.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby ss » Sun 04.25.2010 8:35 pm

Hello again.

I did JLPT2 last year and managed to get a 71%, my score for vocabulary and grammar was not too bad, however I flunked the listening part with a score of 48 . In the new implemented system, I would have failed the whole test. Listening comprehension isn't my strong point, as always. (泣!)

I wish to share this book my sensei bought me last year, it's for us to step up a gear to tackle advance comprehension passages (mainly individualistic topics of daily life, society agenda, cultural aspect).

「中級読解問題55」ISBN-10: 4893586181 (by 北嶋千鶴子 キタジマチズコ)
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/htm/%96 ... /list.html

I usually watched anime and decided to read the novels later on. So, right now I'm on and off continuing with my 十二国記 novels (by 小野不由美 Ono Fuyumi). I've also collected a set of short stories あらしのよるに (By 木村裕一 Yūichi Kimura) because I like the story very much after watching this film.

As my Japanese still needs so much to be desired, I don't really have good recommendation for you. I still cling to the hope that I'm able to speak fluently with my Japanese friends, therefore I'm here to learn.

All the best to you.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby katafei » Wed 04.28.2010 5:03 pm

I'm currently reading a book by 江戸川 乱歩, and it's very enjoyable. It's a boy's book, meaning the story is easy to digest and all kanji all supplied with furigana when they first enter the script.
My level is stil slightly sub 2級, but this is really good reading practise!
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby pmt7ar » Sun 10.31.2010 11:43 pm

Well, updating.
After all, I bought Murakami' 1Q84 first volume, and it was a terrible frustration. I hadn't the level to read that thing at all. It was like 2 hours per page. It really demotivated me, so I kept there gathering dust until my level increases. That was 5 months ago. I have been studying a bit more and tried by a recommendation an middle point between syônen manga and novels: syônen light novels.

I bought Ningen Sikkaku and Kamisama no Memotyô. The experience this time was completely different, I was able to read continuously and understand the meaning and sentence structures without problems, and even could decipher the unknown vocabulary by context. I started with Kamisama no Memotyô vol 1, and it was really easy and by the way a catching story, and I devoured the 320 pages in 10 days, confident of at least a 95% comprehension reached.
Ningen Sikkaku was a bit tougher, but it was shorter and easy to follow.

So I wanted to share that tip, light novels -specially syônen- are a good practice for reading, not so long and more challenging than manga.
I'll read the rest of lightnovels I bought and then give Murakami's novel another chance ;)
pmt7ar

Native language: Español

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips