Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tiny question about Japanese quotation marks

Tiny question about Japanese quotation marks

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Tiny question about Japanese quotation marks

Postby Aoshiroi » Sat 05.15.2010 3:55 am

Sorry if the question doesn't belong in this section.

I was wondering whether there are any rules when writing the Japanese quotation marks. How many strokes should they be? (1 or 2?) In which direction should I write the strokes? I've searched on the net but couldn't find anything.

Thank you.
頑張って!
Sites I use: Tae Kim's GuidenihongoresourcesSmart.fmLang-8WWWJDIC
Aoshiroi

Native language: Bulgarian

Re: Tiny question about Japanese quotation marks

Postby celticflower » Sun 05.16.2010 4:12 pm

Hello,

I’m not the best person to answer this, but maybe someone who knows what they’re talking about will jump in :)

They look like one stroke to me and I think that with punctuation you just go with the general rule for writing Japanese, for stroke order left to right, top to bottom.

I got this from my text book, ‘Let’s Learn Hiragana’ by Yasuko Kosaka Mitamura. It has brief sections in the back telling you how to write words and sentences, so naturally the author mentions punctuation, but it doesn’t say anything about stroke order for quotation marks, which I think would be mentioned if needed.

I think Tae Kim's Japanese grammar guide would have said something if there was more than one stroke and a particular way to write them, I’ve only had a quick look though, I imagine you have too.

I’ve seen plenty of examples online of Japanese, but no demonstrations showing how to write quotation marks.

You could try YouTube for videos of people writing Japanese, I came across a few but so far no one using quotes, but you would think it would be in there somewhere!

Sorry I couldn't point you in the direction of a demonstration.

Regards,

Clare
。 Bright (ki) 。 クレア
http://citlecrewolf.livejournal.com/
celticflower

Native language: English

Postby Aoshiroi » Sun 05.16.2010 6:46 pm

Thank you very much for trying :) Maybe it's indeed just a matter of personal choice :) I tend to write the left quotation mark in horizontal writing in one stroke from bottom left to top right. It would feel weird if it were the other way round ^^

Also thank you for the idea to look for a video on youtube. I certain will try and see what I can find :)
頑張って!
Aoshiroi

Postby UkiUki88 » Tue 05.18.2010 7:07 am

I think, if you're thinking about quotation marks when writing IN Japanese, I often see this mark, 「 」

umm, for example...
お母さんに 「早く帰ってきて!」 と言われました。 My mom told me, "Come home quickly".

When you read books and let's say, there's a conversation going on, you can see this mark used also. :)
UkiUki88

Native language: フィリピン語

Postby Aoshiroi » Tue 05.18.2010 1:30 pm

UkiUki88 wrote:I think, if you're thinking about quotation marks when writing IN Japanese, I often see this mark, 「 」

umm, for example...
お母さんに 「早く帰ってきて!」 と言われました。 My mom told me, "Come home quickly".

When you read books and let's say, there's a conversation going on, you can see this mark used also. :)

Yes, I mean those quotation marks. But my question was if there were any rules about the direction and number of the strokes when writing them by hand :)
頑張って!
Aoshiroi

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)