Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New to the Japanese Input

New to the Japanese Input

Japanese, general discussion on the language

New to the Japanese Input

Postby xpid » Sun 05.02.2010 10:14 pm

Since i'm starting to learn the language (keep that in mind that i have a futile and confident mastery with all kana), i am also new to the japanese input on my computer, with IME enabled, but preferable to preserve american english as my default input method, i need to figure out it's keys for kana input (like the ones you see on Japanese keyboards), and many other thingmajings. So it's preferrable to send me a kana keyboard layout for that determined method of input. Plus it's special commands.
xpid

Native language: Spanish, English

Re: New to the Japanese Input

Postby furrykef » Sun 05.02.2010 11:59 pm

I wouldn't recommend kana input. A few years ago I bought a Japanese keyboard just to try it out, and I found that it had enough quirks (like the difficulty and awkwardness of typing an exclamation point or question mark in kana mode) that it wasn't worth the trouble. Most people, both native Japanese and foreign Japanese speakers, simply type in romaji and allow the IME to convert it to kana and kanji as you type.

What I do is I have my keyboard set up like this:
Alt+shift+1 switches to US English (my actual keyboard layout)
Alt+shift+2 switches to Japanese
Alt+shift+9 switches to a custom layout I made for Latin, to type macrons
Alt+shift+0 switches to US International, which I use primarily for Spanish and Italian

(Yeah, I study a lot of languages. :))

I dunno about other versions of Windows, but on XP you can get this set by going to "Regional and Language Options" in your control panel, then the Languages tab, click "Details...", then click "Key Settings..." at the bottom of the window that pops up. From there you can define these shortcuts. (You might also want to disable the "change between input languages" key sequence, since I often hit it by accident and never used it on purpose.)

When your input language is set to Japanese, you'll want to know these keyboard commands:
* Ctrl+caps lock switches from romaji to hiragana (it's always necessary to do this when you first switch; I can't find any way to have it switch to hiragana automatically)
* Alt+caps lock switches to katakana, but I rarely use this because...
* After you type something, but before you press ENTER, pressing F7 will change everything you typed into katakana, which is often less awkward than switching to katakana mode and back to hiragana mode.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby xpid » Mon 05.03.2010 8:46 am

Keep that in mind that in have 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium(US English)
xpid

Native language: Spanish, English

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.01.2010 1:02 pm

Ultimately, I'd say kana mode isn't worth the effort, and I spend a few years typing in kana mode against the advice of several people on this and another board.

it's just too much of a hassle typing certain symbols in kana mode that are easy to type in normal mode. On the other hand, I did use the dvorak registry hack so my keyboard is using the dvorak layout when I use the IME and not qwerty.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 06.02.2010 12:56 am

Everyone wants to try kana input. ;)

Usually people in their 40s, or people who were trained stenographers are the only people who use the kana-input currently.

I have one woman who was trained as a stenographer at my work, and her computer is set entirely in kana-input. Writing even the simplest thing took me forever, as I had to hunt and peck for every single character. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby john2 » Wed 06.02.2010 4:24 am

How do you get said hack/input method.
OO— I want to try it.
john2

Postby furrykef » Wed 06.02.2010 10:21 am

It's really not the best idea unless you have a Japanese keyboard.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Japanese General Discussion