Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - kanji

kanji

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

kanji

Postby Gnight » Thu 05.27.2010 3:11 pm

Excuse me, but there appears to be a problem with the kanji pages here. It won't encode correctly now no matter what browser or computer I use! I have to set the encoding to "Japanese Shift JIS" every time I visit the page in order to see the kanji! Please help! I don't want learning kanji to be any more difficult than it has to be!
Gnight

Native language: English

Re: kanji

Postby phreadom » Thu 05.27.2010 7:21 pm

I'm looking at fixing it right now...

The problem was that the pages are very old ones that Clay made for the site several years ago for a much older version of the site. We'd been planning on redoing the whole Kanji section so we hadn't gotten around to updating the old pages. As there are well over a thousand pages to update we've kind of been avoiding it in favor of setting up a new system that would pull the data from a database, or at least auto generate all the files so that we wouldn't have to manually maintain thousands of individual files by hand. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.02.2010 12:34 pm

Ok, I've gone through and converted all the old kanji pages to utf-8 and updated the doctype and relevant header(s) to reflect the changes... so the pages should all be detected correctly as utf-8 now and show all the kanji correctly. :colonthree:

This is just a stop-gap measure until we get around to doing the proper kanji section again. :blush:

Please let me know if you have any more trouble with any of the kanji pages (aside from broken links... I know there are a bunch of broken navigation links on them still etc...) :sweatdrop:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Gnight » Thu 06.03.2010 9:52 am

Wow, it works now! Thank you so much!
Gnight

Native language: English

Return to Problems