Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - hello from Japan!

hello from Japan!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

hello from Japan!

Postby aciara14 » Tue 06.15.2010 5:05 am

Hi Everyone!

I've been living in Japan for about two years now (1 1/2 years teaching with JET). If you have any questions at all feel free to ask me!

Also, I created a blog just for anyone living in Japan, moving to Japan, or just curious about certain things. I look for unique resources that people may otherwise not know about. Feel free to check that out too, (and let me know what you think).

Thanks!
aciara14

Native language: English

Re: hello from Japan!

Postby aciara14 » Tue 06.15.2010 6:48 am

oops forgot the address for the site:
http://www.survivingnjapan.com
aciara14

Postby jamie_adams » Tue 06.15.2010 8:35 am

Hi there!
Thats fantastic that your on the JET programme!
Im applying this September to go out (hopefully) next year as an ALT.
Im so excited that I cant wait for summer to be over lol.
So if its ok to ask, could you give me an insight into how you came about applying to JET? how did you find the application process? Is there anything important that I should consider when I apply in the Autumn?

On a more casual topic...
What area/s of Japan have you stayed in?
I was looking at around the Shizuoka area but I need to research other areas too.

Thanks for the link to your site, I'll take a look. I have been watching the blogs on youtube that other JETs have put on and they're really great. Its really great to know that JETs are willing to give advice and share their experiences with people like myself, so thanks in advance!
:D
jamie_adams

Postby phreadom » Tue 06.15.2010 12:23 pm

aciara14 wrote:oops forgot the address for the site:
http://www.survivingnjapan.com

I'm curious... if the name of the site is "Surviving IN Japan", why is the URL "Surviving N Japan" ? :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby aciara14 » Tue 06.15.2010 8:49 pm

@phreadom

Well, on twitter I couldn't use survivingINjapan (too long) so I went with n instead. Then I just went with that. Think it's too confusing?
aciara14

Postby aciara14 » Tue 06.15.2010 9:06 pm

jamie_adams wrote:Hi there!
Thats fantastic that your on the JET programme!
Im applying this September to go out (hopefully) next year as an ALT.
Im so excited that I cant wait for summer to be over lol.
So if its ok to ask, could you give me an insight into how you came about applying to JET? how did you find the application process? Is there anything important that I should consider when I apply in the Autumn?

On a more casual topic...
What area/s of Japan have you stayed in?
I was looking at around the Shizuoka area but I need to research other areas too.

Thanks for the link to your site, I'll take a look. I have been watching the blogs on youtube that other JETs have put on and they're really great. Its really great to know that JETs are willing to give advice and share their experiences with people like myself, so thanks in advance!
:D

lol, that's great you are so excited about it! I remember being excited and confused trying to decide if I should take the plunge or not (but so glad I did). Basically for me, I had a close friend who was born in Japan, lived here part of his life, and then came on JET later. His family actually taught me a lot about Japan, simply because of their involvement with it. This piqued my interest, and since I was already working with youth and teaching, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to get out of my comfort zone (that had become too comfortable). So since my friend and two of his siblings do or did JET, I thought I'd try too.

As for the application, I just got it from the official website, and then set about trying to put it all together over the summer and fall. I will say this, the more experience you have either with Japan, Japanese, teaching, or working with kids, the better. I only had a year of Japanese, (and some people don't know any) but I think having a good resume helps. Although I do know people who've become JETs who don't have a lot on their resume... I also had great references! Make sure you have good references. If you think of anything more specific, just let me know.

I currently live in Shizuoka, (have lived in two different cities here) but have gone to other places. One of my friends lived in Ishikawa, and another lives in Toyama. I did research before so I could write something on the application, and Shizuoka was one of the choices (so glad I got it!) I wanted a coastal prefecture, so I could be close to the water and also for the milder climate. (And near the mountains too!) I didn't want to live too far north (because it's freezing cold much of the year). Shizuoka is great because it's right on the Tokaido line (main train line including the shinkansen) and has easy access to Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, etc. There's lots of outdoor activities too (of course there are anywhere in Japan but I think Shizuoka is a great place to be for them). Oh and Mt. Fuji of course. :D The weather is generally good. It gets cold in winter but it's not unbearable (usually not below freezing i.e. 0 degrees celsius), and it's sunny most of the time. Though winters are super windy. Fall and Spring are awesome, although this spring was unusually rainy... Summer of course, is hot and humid like most of Japan, but I don't mind it so much. Rainy season just started here!

Anyway, depends on what you might want weather/climate wise, or if you want to be closer to a big city, or in the country, or near the water, etc etc.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and you can get specific and all that, I don't mind! I remember I wanted to know a lot when I was getting ready to come here, but not everyone gave me very specific answers... so I'm open to questions. :)
aciara14

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.16.2010 12:05 am

aciara14 wrote:@phreadom

Well, on twitter I couldn't use survivingINjapan (too long) so I went with n instead. Then I just went with that. Think it's too confusing?

I think what I'd do if I were you is also register "survivinginjapan.com" and just point "survivingnjapan.com" to the same site. That way either address would still lead to the same site, preferably with a forward that would land them at "survivingINjapan.com" so that they would bookmark the more easily remembered spelling of the site name. (For example, if you type in www.thejapanesepage.com, you will automatically end up at thejapanesepage.com without the www. Go ahead and try it. ;) ) Of course that means you'd have to pay for 2 domain names instead of one... :(

Just my opinion. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan