Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - You know you've come far when...

You know you've come far when...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

You know you've come far when...

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sun 07.11.2010 9:49 pm

I was starting up Heisig and came across 明. I haven't studied that word in forever, maybe even two years, and yet "あか・・・あかるい?" came out of my mouth. I looked it up, and sure enough that's the right word for bright. I'm amazed at how many words I know now.
Cyborg Ninja

Re: You know you've come far when...

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 07.11.2010 10:53 pm

Cyborg Ninja wrote: I haven't studied that word in forever, maybe even two years

There's a fair difference between forever and two years !!

But well done! Sometimes our brains retain things even if we don't think so, if we studied properly in the beginning.
Keep up the good work :)
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby furrykef » Sun 07.11.2010 11:00 pm

I wish Japanese vocabulary were like that for me! Well, maybe the words I have down pat are like that, but I still have to fight for every word I learn if it wasn't borrowed from English or something.

I did have that experience with Spanish, though. Realizing I could still understand bits of Spanish I encountered on the internets (despite it being a few years since I studied it in high school... and I never learned it well then) was what caused me to pick it back up. Now I can understand written Spanish pretty well.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Snowflake » Mon 07.12.2010 1:23 pm

Cyborg, isn't it fun and exciting when knowledge/retention sneaks up on you out of nowhere? Makes you feel good, doesn't it? Congratulations!

I had a similar experience a few days ago. I was driving and my son was my passenger. He knows I'm studying, but we were NOT talking about Japanese at the moment, so it's not as if I had Japanese on the brain (tip of the hat to NileCat :wink: ). We were discussing video games, and of course, my major focus was driving the car. Out of the blue, he asked "What's the Japanese word for 'sky'?" And, without missing a beat, "そら" slipped out of my mouth. Just as natural as could be. I didn't have to think about it; it just fell out on its own.

It was only after a second or so that I realized what had happened and we were both pretty impressed. It's a small step, a baby step really, but it made me so happy! Progress, yes!
Snowflake

Native language: English

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Mon 07.12.2010 5:29 pm

That same feeling happens to me a lot actually. I don't study for a while and think, "Man I bet I'm gonna be really rusty when I start up again." Then I'll be working on something in Japanese and the words just come to me--words I forgot I even knew! Or I'll type up a journal entry just as plain as can be, then reread it later and amaze myself at how much I didn't forget just because I'm not thinking about it.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Mon 07.12.2010 7:04 pm

"There's a fair difference between forever and two years !!"
I'm only 25! Two years really is forever for me :P

Lots of great stories here, guys. It's good to know that our brains can handle a new language and retain words for so long.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 07.13.2010 6:35 am

Cyborg Ninja wrote:"There's a fair difference between forever and two years !!"

Oh no! That makes me feel old! :blush:
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby furrykef » Tue 07.13.2010 11:28 am

Don't worry, tokai. You just are. :mrgreen:
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 07.14.2010 8:26 am

tokai devotee wrote:
Cyborg Ninja wrote:"There's a fair difference between forever and two years !!"

Oh no! That makes me feel old! :blush:

I thought the exact same thing when I read that! :sweatdrop:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Snowflake » Wed 07.14.2010 8:51 am

For a 25-year-old, 2 years is forever. For an old-fogey like me (who, me :shock: ???), it's a blink-of-the-eye /sigh :P
Snowflake

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed 07.14.2010 8:14 pm

皆wwww~ I just remembered, I bow all the time when I talk, even in English. It's just a nod bow but I wonder if anybody else has noticed me do that. It must be all those Japanese dramas I watch.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby phreadom » Wed 07.14.2010 8:34 pm

Cyborg Ninja wrote:皆wwww~ I just remembered, I bow all the time when I talk, even in English. It's just a nod bow but I wonder if anybody else has noticed me do that. It must be all those Japanese dramas I watch.

haha.... I do that all the time now too... the only time I really notice I'm doing it though is when I say thank you at the Asian Buffet (Chinese food) and feel like I might be insulting them by implying that they're Japanese. :P (I'm not aware of the Chinese bowing in the same way, at least not that I've seen.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Wed 07.14.2010 10:15 pm

Cyborg Ninja wrote:皆wwww~ I just remembered, I bow all the time when I talk, even in English. It's just a nod bow but I wonder if anybody else has noticed me do that. It must be all those Japanese dramas I watch.

I'm guilty of that too :sweatdrop:
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby CajunCoder » Mon 07.19.2010 1:55 pm

Hmmm -

It usually works the opposite with me. I am constantly reminded how little I've progressed over the years =P

Just the other day, I was racking my head trying to recall the word 販売機. I finally had to give in and look it up. That happens with me more than I'd like to admit - I am constantly forgetting even simple vocabulary that I have used countless times (especially in the context of active vocabulary).

Edit: Just to clarify, I was trying to actively recall the word for "Vending Machine" in Japanese. I would really have a memory problem if I couldn't read 販売機 at this point :D
By far, maintaining my active vocabulary is the most difficult area for me. But then again, I forget words even in English all of the time, so perhaps I am just inherently "scatter brained" :?
Last edited by CajunCoder on Mon 07.19.2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby furrykef » Mon 07.19.2010 4:35 pm

CajunCoder - have you considered using an SRS such as Anki?
furrykef

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion