Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - i'm having trouble with japanese for everyone

i'm having trouble with japanese for everyone

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

i'm having trouble with japanese for everyone

Postby juda » Wed 07.14.2010 3:44 am

Hi

I am kinda new here so sorry if this isn't the right place to post. first i apologize for my English
it's my third language. so as i said in the title i'm struggling with "Japanese for everyone" i am not getting enough exercises to master the functions, and it feel like i am just memorizing stuff learning. so i starting to get demotivated, and losing confidence. a just got to lesson 10, and they gave me a list of 44 verbs ( transitive an intransitive ) and the exercises only concerned few of them. i could simply just memorize these verbs but i fear
that they will be forgotten. and the same goes for all functions and vocab. so i would like to ask for resources that would support "Japanese for everyone" help me to be master of what i am doing

and sorry for the wall of text
juda

Native language: french

Re: i'm having trouble with japanese for everyone

Postby ピーター » Wed 07.14.2010 4:54 am

It sounds like you need a flashcard program like Anki, if you're not using one already. Compile those vocab lists into Anki decks (or there might be some already you can download, as I believe JfE is a pretty popular textbook) and it'll become a whole lot easier. :)
ピーター

Native language: English

Postby Snowflake » Wed 07.14.2010 9:07 am

As ピーター mentioned above, Anki is very popular for drilling. As an alternative, I just took a peek at Smart.fm, but could only find one vocabulary list for Japanese for Everyone (it was for Chapter 2). On the positive side, however, maybe you could go there and create your own lists. Perhaps the act of creation will, in itself, help reinforce your learning even before you start reviewing/drilling.
Snowflake

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 07.14.2010 7:10 pm

そちらすべていいです。でも、judaさんが日本語を勉強理由を忘れないで下さい。日本語を読んで下さい。映画かアニイメかを見て下さい。J-pop かJ-rock かを聞いて下さい。何でも良いです。その後、もっと勉強して下さい。
Last edited by Hektor6766 on Thu 07.15.2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hektor6766

Postby phreadom » Wed 07.14.2010 7:51 pm

Hektor6766 wrote:映画かアンイメかを見て下さい。

Shouldn't that be 「映画かアニメかを見て下さい。」? :think:

(That's the only mistake my newbie self spotted.) ;)

That said, I'm on Japanese For Everyone Lesson 3 myself... and the only JFE Anki deck I have seems to cover ALL the vocabulary. :( I know the old Genki decks I had were broken up by chapter... so either I just didn't see them done by lesson for JFE, or I'll need to make them myself for this purpose as trying to tackle the entire book worth right up front is too much for me. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Hektor6766 » Thu 07.15.2010 4:23 am

Ha! Totally blew past the katakana!

Japanese for Everyone hurries you along quite a bit. And going from progressive transitive in chapter 9 to past-action present-state intransitive too. If Juda-san can borrow both volumes of Bowring & Laurie, that might help.

And anyway, their example: りんごがおちる。An apple dropped? Shouldn't that be おちた?
Hektor6766

Postby juda » Thu 07.15.2010 7:16 am

humm ok flash card it is. i am thinking about looking for the kanji's for verbs and adjectives that i know and use them istead of the hiragana. is that a good idea ?
@hector-san . could you please translate the setence that starts with "demo juda-san...."
as for achiru maybe it's because the apple was still in the air , and
didn't touch the ground yet (the boy's head doesn't count as the end of the action)
juda

Native language: french

Postby Hektor6766 » Thu 07.15.2010 5:28 pm

"Please don't forget the reason(s) you're studying Japanese."
Hektor6766

Postby Miaow » Fri 09.24.2010 5:44 pm

phreadom wrote:
That said, I'm on Japanese For Everyone Lesson 3 myself... and the only JFE Anki deck I have seems to cover ALL the vocabulary. :( I know the old Genki decks I had were broken up by chapter... so either I just didn't see them done by lesson for JFE, or I'll need to make them myself for this purpose as trying to tackle the entire book worth right up front is too much for me. :sweatdrop:

Can an Anki deck already created be used to create several smaller decks grouped by chapters?
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.24.2010 8:15 pm

I strongly recommend against using multiple decks with Anki (except, of course, different people using the computer should use different decks). Use tags instead. Then to do what you want, it's only a matter of tagging each item with the chapter it came from (if it doesn't do so already).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips