Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - に/で/を help o_o;

に/で/を help o_o;

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

に/で/を help o_o;

Postby Bleaky » Sat 07.31.2010 1:17 am

I'm still a beginner so these particles are very confusing to me xP I'm using the book Japanese for College Students. I wish they had answers in the back of the book or something.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I should write my sentence like
リーさんは火曜日と木曜日1時30分子どもに英語教えます
or
リーさんは火曜日と木曜日1時30分子どもに英語教えます

And I'm not sure when kanji is used either since it seems like you can write a sentence using barely any hiragana.
Bleaky

Native language: English

Re: に/で/を help o_o;

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.31.2010 6:24 am

You put the を in the wrong place... it should go before 教. I would definitely put the を, though, because when you can drop particles is something you should learn from experience (I certainly couldn't do it with confidence). In other words, omitting the を might not be wrong (in informal speech, at least), but I'd be careful and assume it is until I'm sure it isn't. I'd also put a に after 木曜日, because に is used to indicate when something happens (but not with certain adverbs like 今日 or 来週, which take no particle -- except sometimes は).

Question: Do you mean to say that they teach at 1:30, or that they teach for an hour and thirty minutes? I presume you mean at 1:30, in which case it is fine (though 1時半 might be even better). If on the off chance you mean the latter, you would need 時間 in place of 時. I don't think it takes a particle in either case, though.

And I'm not sure when kanji is used either since it seems like you can write a sentence using barely any hiragana.

Nothin' wrong with hardly using any hiragana, if that's what the sentence calls for. :)
Last edited by furrykef on Tue 08.03.2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: に/で/を help o_o;

Postby Bleaky » Tue 08.03.2010 1:38 am

Yeah I think the book wanted the sentence to say Rii-san teaches for 1 hour and 30 minutes every Tuesday and Thursday, but thanks a lot! That really clears things up :)
Bleaky

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems