Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime subs

Anime subs

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Anime subs

Postby mella » Mon 08.02.2010 2:51 pm

Is there any website where I could find jap subs for anime?
mella

Native language: Italian

Re: Anime subs

Postby ZetaFox » Mon 08.02.2010 4:11 pm

See Bandai or viz media for official subs of their anime, or other companies that offer that service.
Don't ask for fansubs, as that is not allowed here.

EDIT: Wait.. Japanese subs for anime? I don't see too many anime with Japanese subs to say the least, unless it's originally korean or some other place of origin. I misread the post the first time, sorry.
ZetaFox

Native language: English

Postby Snowflake » Mon 08.02.2010 4:55 pm

Hi there, Mella. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but it looks like ZetaFox may have given you some help on it. I just wanted to make a quick note about the way your question is phrased. According to the Forum Rules here at TJP:
3: ...Many people find the abbreviation 'jap' offensive. Please refrain from using it....

I'm sure you meant no offense; I'm guessing you just weren't aware of the rule. For what it's worth, you can read the complete set of Forum Rules here --> Forum Rules.

By the way, which anime were you looking for subs for? Perhaps if you provided more detail, people could help steer you in the proper direction.
Snowflake

Postby caladwenaeariel » Tue 08.03.2010 3:41 pm

I have a question about this too! I think it's related. I love using anime TV shows to improve my pronounciation (maybe not the best way, I dunno:) but I'd really like to do it the other way around-- watching dubbed in ENGLISH but with Japanese subtitles. Where can I find materials like that? I have really no idea!

I'm guessing I'd need to buy english-language movies from a japanese source, or watch those types of movies through a japanese online source... or something...?? But I can't read Japanese yet, so I don't know where to find those things.
caladwenaeariel

Location: Red Lantern #900, SPACE Sec.9 Orbital-524 [KALOTEI]

Postby ZetaFox » Tue 08.03.2010 8:58 pm

caladwenaeariel wrote:I have a question about this too! I think it's related. I love using anime TV shows to improve my pronounciation (maybe not the best way, I dunno:) but I'd really like to do it the other way around-- watching dubbed in ENGLISH but with Japanese subtitles. Where can I find materials like that? I have really no idea!

I'm guessing I'd need to buy english-language movies from a japanese source, or watch those types of movies through a japanese online source... or something...?? But I can't read Japanese yet, so I don't know where to find those things.

You may be right about looking at Japanese sources. For the life of me, I can not see Japanese subbing English material for something that's already available in their own language. You might see it somewhere in a large city in North America with a "little Tokyo" street or something with people who would sub English materials into Japanese. Chances are (living in an English speaking nation) they know English anyway, making it redundant.

It's a creative idea. Would like to know how it works out.
ZetaFox

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.04.2010 8:28 am

I don't know about dubbed in English, but most DVDs come with subtitles, so any English language DVD you buy or rent in Japan will come with Japanese subtitles. (And I guess that some Japanese DVDs for an overseas audience might come with both an English language dub and Japanese subtitles, but the market for them is probably quite small.)

For a beginner I think it would be very frustrating though since, #1 the subtitles go by very quickly and #2 the space constrictions mean that the translation in the subtitles is often quite different from the original script.

Once you reach the intermediate level watching English programs with Japanese subtitles can be a good way to increase your reading fluency as you have to read very quickly to catch up. I always enjoy checking out the subtitles when my husband and I watch American TV shows or movies together, because the subtitles are often quite funny. For example we were watching Burn Notice a few weeks ago and one of the characters kept referring to his sidekick as "Jackass here", but whoever translated it apparently thought Jackass was his name and just left it as ジャカース instead of changing it to こいつ orこのアホ or whatever.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby yukamina » Thu 08.05.2010 12:05 am

I know a few sites with Japanese subtitle files for anime. Is it ok to post them? It's not anime, just subs.
yukamina

Postby NileCat » Thu 08.05.2010 3:51 pm

I hadn't seen Japanese anime with English subs. I kind of searched on YouTube because I was curious about the differences.
I know it's not allowed to post illegal materials here. But it wouldn't be very bad to quote an example of fansubs and the original Japanese lines. The following is just an example I happened to find on YouTube. (Naruto vs Kiba)

へっ、やっと本気になりやがったか、キバ。
So you're finally serious, Kiba?
じゃあ、
Then,
おれのとっておきの、新必殺技で、ケリつけてやるってばよ。
I'll finish this with a new move I've been saving up!
なに?
What?
新必殺技?
New move?
そんなのいつの間に?
When did he make a new one?
まだ新技を隠し持っていたとは。さすがです!
He still had a new move hidden up his sleeve? He's good!
けっ、なにが新必殺技だ。ハッタリに決まってんだろ。
New move my ass. You're just bluffing.
ハッタリかどうか、試してみればいいってばよ。
We'll see if it's a bluff or not.
ちぇっ、これじゃさっきと変わらねえ。
Damn it... The situation hasn't changed...
やつのペースに乗るな。落ち着け・・・
Don't let him sucker you into this pace... Calm down...

Well, I have a question to you guys.
Those kinds of colloquialism and flections annoy you when you study Japanese? Or not?
I mean...
とうとう本気になりましたか、キバ?
それでは、
私のとっておきの、新しい必殺技で、決着をつけてあげましょう。
何ですって?
いつの間にそんな物を用意していたのですか?
...these kinds of differences.
Thank you in advance.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions