Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to Japan. Finally!....well, not yet.

Going to Japan. Finally!....well, not yet.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Going to Japan. Finally!....well, not yet.

Postby Infidel » Thu 07.22.2010 1:48 pm

Yo everyone.

I'm sitting here in the U.A.E with a crappy internet connect. But I've had a little epiphany lately and I thought maybe putting it out here, could net me some good advice.

For those that don't remember, or never heard. I joined the Merchant Marines last January, and have been sailing since April. Right now I'm looking to be back in the states in November or so. In the meantime, I've talked to several of my shipmates and read lots of papers. And one thing stood out.

According to one article, being a mariner is one of the few professions where you can live wherever you want in the world, without affecting your job. Talking to several of my shipmates, it seems to be true. Several of them have houses in the Philippines, in Greece, in Brazil, etc. So this had my mind moving somewhere a little further east.

How about getting a place in Japan? Then I can go there during my time off and get my immersion with a vengeance. The 90 day visa issue probably won't even be a problem, since having more than 90 days of paid leave at any one time is not a common occurrence. More like 30 days or so of paid leave once a year. I can convert my overtime to paid leave, so I _could_ eke out a substantial amount of paid leave if I wished, but I'm undecided at this point. And besides, I'm not going to do this Japan thing until after I get my first promotion.

So since this is still a long term goal, maybe one year or so from now. There is no rush, but looking at my options seems a good thing to do at this point. IIRC, a US citizen can't own land, but can I own the house that is on the land? Could I set up year long leases etc. What are my options for setting up a semi-permanent to permanent residence in Japan? Thank you.

-I'm going back out to sea tomorrow, but I will be back. So don't be miffed if I don't give you a proper thank you for a week or two.

Rykk
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Going to Japan. Finally!....well, not yet.

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.22.2010 4:33 pm

that's a great idea, but if you are going to be purchasing something, Japan probably isn't the 'cheapest' place to do it. Do some in depth research before you dive in.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Fri 07.23.2010 4:12 am

I can't really get behind buying property in any foreign country without spending a substantial amount of time living there first. It's one thing to admire the culture and/or the language and quite another to actually live there. How do you know you would even like to live there without trying it out first. I suggest trying to stay in a short term apartment first before making any concrete plans.

And Japanese houses are not built to last. It's assumed that you pretty much buy the land and tear down the house that's currently standing on it and build a new one.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby NileCat » Fri 07.23.2010 6:06 am

Generally speaking, you have to be a permanent resident of the country if you want to own real estate. It's same as I don't think I can buy an apartment in New York unless I have the green card or something.
However, of course, there is a way. For instance, you could purchase one through a (paper) company that you could associate with your Japanese friend or someone who is qualified to own real estate in Japan. But it would be almost impossible to set up a long term loan from any bank. The bottom line is, well, money talks. 8) And as written above, when it comes to the price of land in Japan...you'll see. :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.31.2010 4:32 am

Hey All. Thanks for the replys.

Ok, I get that I can't own land in Japan. But that wasn't so much a priority anyway. The priority is getting leases and such, finding out what problems I might have with staying with my visa. Maybe my emphasis on the lease was too weak since everyone focused on the buying a house thing.

Things I need to know. Do they do year long leases in Japan? What accommodations can I get or should I ask for since I'll be away for probably 9 months or more of the year? What questions do I not even know enough to ask? Thank you.

Rykk
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby NileCat » Sat 07.31.2010 6:26 am

Although I can't tell any sure thing, my personal impression is that leasing a proper apartment as an individual while not being a resident would be more difficult than buying one with legitimate corporate contract. I'll post referential information if I could find any.
NileCat

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.31.2010 10:27 pm

You might want to consider something like a "weekly mansion".

Link to one such company, though there are many out there
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Fri 08.06.2010 4:43 am

Mike Cash wrote:You might want to consider something like a "weekly mansion".

Link to one such company, though there are many out there

Thanks Mike. That's something that I hadn't even considered.

This computer center doesn't have japanese fonts loaded, so I see a lot of squares, but I can check it out later when I get internet on my laptop.

I would prefer year leases just because I wan't to know the apartment is still available while I'm away. If I make it my home of record, I can travel there and back for free when I get ship's funded leave. And a free trip to and from Japan from anywhere in the world once or twice a year isn't anything to sneeze at.

I guess it all comes down to, how far in advance can I reserve it, or can I pretty much assume a room is available at any given time. What I don't want to happen is to get my leave, show up in Japan, and have no place to stay.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.09.2010 11:21 am

depending on how long you want to stay and how much you want to spend, there are always those beautiful coffin rooms, with just enough room for you to crawl into and enjoy your night.. :)
two_heads_talking

Postby kkww » Fri 08.13.2010 3:52 pm

I assume at my own discretion that you like to stay in Tokyo. I do not think you need a year lease if you stay in Japan only for a month (once) a year. It is fairly easy to book a room on weekly mansion if you make a reservation reasonably in advance. You can choose different location each time to enjoy various sites in Tokyo. When you travel to Japan for a short time, you can just book a hotel.
As Mike said, staying at a weekly mansion is a good idea. Actually I stayed one of the weekly mansions on the website that Mike gave you. I stayed in Akasaka area. You can see the English sites on the website (see right upper corner of the screen). Also there are other different weekly mansions all over Tokyo. Other luxury ones are…for example
Oakwood Apartment Roppongi Central
http://www.oakwood.com/serviced-apartme ... p4870.html
Ark Towers Ropoingi http://www.moriliving.com/en/residence/arktowers/
There are other more….
kkww

Postby Infidel » Mon 08.16.2010 4:12 pm

Thank you again.

Hrm, well, working 3 months of paid leave per year is pretty easy. Visa expires at 90 days IIRC, so I'd probably try for 2 months, with one month in the states visiting friends before I go back to work. Then maybe another month of vacation midway between.

Since I'll be "spending" overtime hours to get the extra time off, it will net me a bit less money overall, but it should be worth it in the end, attaining something I've desired for over a decade and all.

I still need to get the raise before I do such a thing.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan